Lou's Studio - Construction Phase

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Lou

Re: Lou's Studio - Construction Phase

Post by Lou »

Morning Chaps - I hope this finds you and yours well!

I can't believe it's been three months since my last post, and boy what a three months it's been. This is just a short update to bring you all up to speed with a couple of favors to ask if you don't mind.

Well as I'm sure you're all aware the economic downturn has hit hard pretty much everywhere and thing are really tight here in the UK. However I am just about managing to hold my head above water! I've been working on an album project which is progressing nicely, and have met a couple of new artists. My other main concern though has been the marketing machine for this place. It's amazing just how time consuming this can be, but, I'm now on the front page of Google, in yell.com, and have been busting my rear end with the website!

This is hopefully where you kind fellows come in! The website is progressing nicely, and whilst there's still a shed load of audio content to upload I'm now ready to present it to you folks. The site can be viewed here:

http://www.loustonehill.com

If and when you get the chance, would you please be kind enough to glance over it and (here comes the favor bit) sign my guestbook with your location? Basically I need to get as many comments on there as I can in order to encourage other users to write something. The global interest (thanks to your various locations) will naturally look more impressive than me asking a load of mates! By all means say what you think of the site, but of course it's the studio I'm trying to promote. I'm naturally more than happy to reciprocate when required.

Lastly, many of you have said some really nice things both here and as p.m.'s, You'll notice there is a Testimonial page on the studio side, and I'm slowly compiling this page in the background so that it can go live all in one go. Would any of you have any objections to me quoting you exactly for this page? I will not include anything without your prior permission. (I'm sure you know where that's going John re: the drums)! :wink:

Wishing you well, great music making, and thanking you in advance,

Regards as always,

Lou. 8)
Lou

Post by Lou »

Morning chaps - Just a real quickie to say a massive thank you to those of you who have been kind enough to sign my guestbook, it really is very much appreciated.

Kind regards, happy music making!

Lou. 8)
Funky Animal

Post by Funky Animal »

I've been a lurker for months on this forum. Always checked this thread out, but you've made something beautifull!
It's really amazing! This one of those threads that gives me inspiration for my studio build ( starting january / february 2010 ).
Thank you for all the pictures!
Lou

Post by Lou »

Hi guys – Hope you're all well! Can you believe that it's exactly a year today since my first session here? I can't! Where the hell did that go?

Anyway – Funky Animal – Many thanks for the kind comments, you're more than welcome and much appreciated as always.

Here's just another quick post to let you know that I've finally got some 'Artist written' original finished tracks for anyone interested in having a listen.

The chap concerned (Chris Loveridge) is a smashing bloke, very successful in his own right, and is passionate about the singer/songwriter gag.

He came to me with a 'basic' acoustic gtr track, and a quick guide vocal for 19 songs and asked if I could make them sound the………….well, you know!

So, in these examples it's me doing all the instruments, arrangements, (writing the parts!!) production blah blah blah and The Man himself doing all the vocals. The project has been immense fun so far and has really forced me to 'get into' the kit and really learn it!

Naturally these will only sound as good as the system you're listening on, but at least it gives you a chance to at last hear what Studio 4 sounds like. Still bustin' my arse to get all the audio clips up for the site, but these examples will be there under the 'Finished Tracks' section.

Please bear in mind that I was working to a finite budget and timescale!

Kind regards as always my friends,

Lou. 8)

This Ride - http://www.box.net/shared/1u9d0h20cy.

In My Dreams - http://www.box.net/shared/8nl4srcgk1

Girl - http://www.box.net/shared/hfl3ra8kp7

Reproduction in part or whole together with public broadcast/distribution is highly encouraged. :cop: Studio 4 2009
:wink:
PS - Can't help it if you don't 'dig' the songs, but hey, your much valued opinions, on that side of it, are not the reason for the post!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Nice work mate - very nice work :)
SquarePants

Post by SquarePants »

Nice work, Lou! :thu: :thu:
Great sound, even on mp3 :D
Of course, they were great songs to start with, but your "orchestration" is very tasteful, and the recording/mixing is polished (in a good way!) and "expensive" sounding.
Must be a happy customer there!
Geoff

oh, and I like ur keys playing - esp that little moog(?) solo!
Lou

Post by Lou »

John - Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Geoff - That was real nice so thank you. The keys comment really cheered me up as keys is actually my third instrument! I played the Moog solo on my Korg Trinity (Esprsseo Lead)! Glad you liked it. :wink:

Anyway here's the last one for the E.P. It was a real headache to get right and make it sit in the mix with the other tracks. It also took ages to get Chris to 'act' that lead vocal with the attitude I was after. I've deliberately put him 'right in amongst it' to create more of an Indie feel.

Today - http://www.box.net/shared/dr29mog1jd

As for the bonus track 'New Song' well that features a good mate of mine (Tom Dale) on Lap Slide, and Harmonicas. The idea here was to create the vision of a busy town market on a hot Summer morning, when a group of buskers turn up and start playing. As the song progresses, the market goers and traders gradually become involved. I can see seagulls eating chips off the pavement, a dog peeing against a lampost, old 'geezers' with fingerless mittens smoking rollies et al! (U.K. ers will know exactly what I mean!) :wink:

New Song - http://www.box.net/shared/stjdzyh2bx

So, Studio 4's first E.P. is finished and out there, on with the rest of the album. :yahoo:

You guys take care,

Regards as always,

Lou. 8) (No more track posts now - Don't wanna' upset anyone!)
Django Grappelli

Post by Django Grappelli »

Lou, just joined the forum for research on my own project and I've just spent the whole of today reading the whole of this!

Amazing! Inspirational! Hat's off!
JoeHorton

Post by JoeHorton »

Just read this whole thread and loved every second of it. I'll be embarking on my own studio build next year and this has been a massive influence.

If my studio turns out one tenth as good as yours I'll be a very happy man.

All the best from Wales.
vakis

Post by vakis »

Hi Lou, I was wandering where you got those magnetic seals for your doors from?

Are they similiar to these?: http://www.lorientuk.com/products/integ ... ls/is6030/

cheers to the best thread ever!
Funky Animal

Post by Funky Animal »

Lou, I'm just curious, when drums are being played in that room, do you hear anything when you're outside of the house and studio?
Lou

Post by Lou »

Yes mate the rustle of the trees!

Regards,

lou. 8)
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

I am soon gonna start working on the framing. What's the recommended thickness of these MDF panels? 8 or 10mm maybe?
God is the best DIY creator :)

Purusha
Lou

Post by Lou »

Hi Purusha - They're all 10mm buddy!

I'd suggest working out the longest length you require and working from there. By that I mean, they were all cut from 2400mm x 1200mm x 10mm sheets - all 60mm wide. Probably best to source a machine shop in your area and get them to cut the sheets for you, either on the long or short axis depending on what you'll need. Basically, don't attempt to try and make a long length from two smaller ones :wink:

Don't forget also to staple the pieces you create together on the opposite side of where you'll eventually stretch the fabric. Obvious I know but just in case. :wink:

Hope this helps and good luck with your project. (Thank you for your interest).

Warm regards,

Lou. 8)
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Thank you Lou. All clear. Just following in the foot steps of all successful studio builders :wink:
God is the best DIY creator :)

Purusha