gypsum board with lead sheet

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Nikodemos

gypsum board with lead sheet

Post by Nikodemos »

Hi everybody...a local engineer suggested the use of a gypsum board with a lead sheet attached on it....does anybody heard of it or used it?
It has a better Rw in Dbs than a regullar gypsumboard...actually it has the same result as putting 2 layers of a 12,5mm of gypsumboard but it costs 20 times more :shock: :shock:
So is there any use in such a product or is it just money(lots of it :cry: ) thrown out the window?
Also i was checking Knauf gypsum boards and found their "Piano" board which is "especially" for sound isollation purposes....They claim that the same 2 leaf/2 layer on leaf wall built with this board has a 7db higher STC than the same wall built with their regullar gypsum boards...the "Piano" gypsum board is of higher density and about a 1,5kg/m2 heavier....but i's also twice the price of a regullar12,5mm gypsum board.
My question is:
is there a meaning in all this....does a heavier board make this kind of difference?
N