New Studio, from ground up. Canada Qc.

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Marc Duchesne

Re: New Studio, from ground up. Canada Qc.

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Thanks for the nice comments Jester,
Yes, it is very cold here during winter, although this year is warmer so far, around 0 C today..

I have built the vocal booth, drum room is almost finished framing and drywall with the first layer of the finished ceiling plastering done. Also added electric outlets, lighting and heating wires. I provided two mic wires for the live room mics on top.

I shall beginning the CR shortly. The drum room was the hardest section as it was tricky to get proper height for the big 12 foot wide window in relation to the inside trusses/ walls etc.. But it turned out well centered and perfect height. I have to say that working with John's plans is a breeze as it always provides me valid measurements. Which is very crucial in some areas like I mentioned above. It is very rewarding seeing the studio getting built. I prepared this for 15 years.

I shall update my photo's soon. Any comments are welcome...
Thanks again !
Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi everyone, here is an update. I have finished the drum / vocal rooms ceilings / walls. Started the CR construction. This week, I received all my sliding doors. Brushed aluminum frame. Just what I expected, very nice. They shall run me about 17k CDN total for 5 sliding doors, large top drum room windows, vocal room windows. I used laminated thermos (1/4 inches X 2) with a 1/2 air gap. These are rated 42, not bad. I am up to almost 100 sheets of gyprock 5/8... I can't wait to be finished with drywall's. Lots of it... Because of the two layers, It is like I was building a 40 by 70 feet building 15 feet high, not counting two ceilings. I have an helper with me since a couple weeks (for free), he is a carpenter and knows his stuff. He helps me a great deal. I will be adding an MCI JH24 I just purchased, I decided to built an analog rig for old school organic recordings. Can't wait to see all this in action. I will try to synchronize the tape machine with a timeline lynx 2 with the digital rig, Logic Pro 9.1.
I will upload photo's soon.... Regards, Marc.
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Guess it's about time for couple photo's...

Ok. all gyprock is completed, this is really cool.
Started the CR front.
This is what is looks like,

Hope you like it,

Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

The progress looks great!

Andre
Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

the f hole is a nice touch :)
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate and it motivates me.
I have started the back CR soffit units today. I guess everything is long hard work in studio built...
I have decided to mount the Events 2020 bas in the rear and buy a smaller set for near field on the console, don't know which yet...

The front CR was tricky as I needed to respect exact angles in the 3 axis. I found that by starting with zero degrees on the y axis
using a four foot level and marking the ceiling is easier and more precise to achieve the 78 degrees elevation requested for front speaker tilt. Always measure everything two or tree times... The back speakers are easier as they are vertical.

Thanks again,
Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The back speakers are easier as they are vertical.
I'll have to fix that :D
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

: ))
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi everyone, just finished the back end speakers soffit. It went great.

The corner drum room will have a two to four inches deeper wall unit for low frequencies...

Next, wall units..

Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi everyone,

I just finished the seven wall units installation, as per John design. Light black fabric layer behind the slot.
Still have to stain them and varnish. Well, this is still lot of work... I am slowly getting to the finish line. : )
The drum room / CR drywall's are finished, just the front entry to finish third layer.
After that, painting and sliding doors installation.

Thanks for looking,
Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you all know I am not dead (yet) and what I am up to.
I have almost finished the CR, the clouds are all up installed in both CR and drum room. Painting is finished.
Flooring is done in the CR. I am working the drum room floor this week.
It is looking really really nice.

Also, i did some acoustic guitar (my jumbo Guild guitar) in the CR last week end. Really balanced, full and detailed sound. Never heard this guitar so nicely sounding before.
So, I am a happy camper so far.

Should be done in couple months...
Oh, and I will take some good photo shots for you.
Best Regards,
Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
blaumph2cool

Post by blaumph2cool »

Cool Marc!
Ro

Post by Ro »

Hai Marc, any new pictures to add ? :)
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Today's quick photo's,

I shall start the wiring soon. Air conditioning is up and running. I need to address vibrations from the outside AC pump. Probably better vibration dampers.
Vocal booth windows on order. I will have a pro photographer take some shots when completed.
Sounds good too.
Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hey Hey, I have to admit I am 99.9% finished. The console is built, cabling is finished (I spend all of 2 months soldering the 8 switchcraft patchbays, all fully normalized) mogami / belden cables. The MCI tape machine is hooked up to a 96 point TT Bittree patchbay, supposed to perform a skype alignment with Chris Mara from no brainer audio soon. These tape machines sound so punchy on everything I throw at it, excellent. Everything is accessible from seating position. The console (D&R 4K Mk2) has been cleaned and overall, console power supply also needs T&C since the phantom supply is not ok and a bit of hum 60 Hz (bad regulators probably). I had to get a master clock (Lucid SSG192) to sync up everything and to supply blackburst for SMPTE striping to tape, also added a JL Cooper PPS-2 for smpte / MTC to computer. I like the place quite a lot and receiving lots of great comments. And yes, I will have some nice photo's taken by a photographer soon... Thanks again !
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc