New Studio, from ground up. Canada Qc.

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Marc Duchesne

New Studio, from ground up. Canada Qc.

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi, my name is Marc and I live in Canada Quebec (North) Saguenay region.
I am planning the construction of a project studio which will be an annex to my actual house. I will be uploading some photo's of the approximate relative location in thspect to the building to give you the big picture for now and moove on with more detailed in near future.
I will have approximately 20X30 feet surface available. So, I will need advise on my construction plans as I don't want to make any mistakes when I built the main frame. Roof will be angled (same as house) I can have plenty of height if I want to as you see in upcomming picture. I am waiting Rod Gervais book which I heard good advise for to get into more serious business. I already have a studio in the basement which is too small and really full of equipements (no need to say I need room). Yes, also I am french speaking so excuse my bad english. Thanks for your big support to recording community on the WEB. More to come...Best regards ! Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Note that the studio floor will be ground level...Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha and welcome to the forum,

Congrats on your studio build!

I think you might best be served if this were posted on the Studio Design Forum :wink:

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha and welcome to the Design Forum!

Thanks for dropping by :wink:

Looks like you've got a nice place and a nice space to work with.

In addition to the 20X30 feet surface available:

- How tall will your ceilings & walls be?
- How many rooms will you be needing - control/tracking/iso/machine?

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Marc - I assume you have an architect involved in such major house addition??
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi John and kandale, I am from a house builder family (almost all carpenters). So for the main frame I am confident. We know what the local standards are both commercial and residential. It is just the acoustic side I am concern with and this is mainly why I will post here what I am doing with all photos for you to approve of rectify. The real dimentions will be (looking from the front of the house, 20 width 30 feet depth. The height I am not so sure. I can go 15 - 20 feet easy, even higher at the back if i want to or whatever's necessary. For the roof (inside), I can go angled (same as house which is quite steep at front and 15-20 degrees at the back which is 2 story high). I have to know soon in order to get my thrusts made up. The side door will move to the front (left side) of the new building. There will be an entry hall of 6 feet deep in which there will be a closit and couch (reception kind), and another wall which will be the entry of the actual studio so studio complete will be 20X30 feet. There will be one control room, 1 live room, 2 booth. Something like Ryan Baker Studio which I liked the design. I will start my sketch-up designs tomorrow (first need to get used with the soft).
Thanks again for your help. Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Cool Marc - good luck with your build.

cheers
john
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi, here are my first though about it, I have only done the CR so far (and some) and need to design 1 liveroom and 2 booths. Elevation isn't done as I am wondering if this is a go or not. Any suggestions are welcome. Assuming this is wright, I would appreciate some idea for the ceiling in the CR. Should I go with U-boats, would it help any. I can get 2 or 3 feet at the back for the live room. Unless I reduce the CR dimensions a bit. For the speakers (Event 2020 BAS), they have a low freq rool of adjust of 3 db's. I don't know how they will translate soffit mounted. Let me know what you think...regards,
Marc.
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Couldn't send the sketchuop file...bigger than 500Kb (1.2Mb)
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

shouldn't be that big Marc.

In sketchup try going to Window/Model Info/Statistics/Purge unused.

That should reduce your file size as it gets rid of all those components you tried but didn't use in the final plan.

cheers
john
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi, after some twisting around, I was able to get just under 500K...
Thanks ! Marc.
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi, here is a cut view of the new slab. The ground is sand (old river bed) so it wont moove during winter. I though about insulation underneat it so i have asked my old experienced father, he says not to put anything, just polythene barrier underneat. I have some concern at -30 deg. in winter it will be cold. I will have a heated floor though. Anyone have comments on this...

thanks !

Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

Marc - you might want to post this particular question in construction since Rod and Knightfly are more likely to see it.
Glenn
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Ok, thanks gullfo.

here is the answer from Rod Gervais.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 3020#63020
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc
Marc Duchesne

Post by Marc Duchesne »

Hi, here are some photo's of my work so far. I will have the Sketchup files available soon (link to my web site). Front will be 12 feet, back will be 16 feet at the lowest points. I still have to roughly desing the thrusts and have them made up. Also need to look at air conditionning. I did put some measurements on the pictures. I had some ideas about the live room, to drop the ceiling to 12 feet in order to get a deader space (like for vocal recording), any suggestions on this. I wasn't expecting it to be such a big project, lot of work anyways. I am getting better with the software also. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks !

Marc
Marc Duchesne
Studio ConceptSon
Canada Qc