Monitor Placement - Dual Concentric Tannoys....

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

spacecho

Monitor Placement - Dual Concentric Tannoys....

Post by spacecho »

Hi All.

I have read through the various pages on acoustics and monitor placement and have found that my speakers are in a null.

I have 8 ft ceilings and at my height my ears are at 4 ft (1/2 way null point) when sitting on a standard chair.

I figured from what i have read that i should at least have my bass driver clear of this null but the problem is that the tweeter sits inside the bass driver (dual concentric tannoy golds) so it is impossible to have the speakers fire a horizontal line to my ears without having the bass drivers at the null.

so, having read that the bass driver should be at least 6 inches clear of this null, should i:

1 - place my speakers lower (below the null at 42-46% of room as recommended in other posts) - pointing upward .... or

2 - place my speakers higher (above the null) pointing down.

(i think option 2 will give a better response to listeners sitting behind me)

I suspect in either case angling them toward my ears (as opposed to straight on) will help avoid the first reflection point from the desk / table.

I couldn't find any specific info as to whether having my ears at this null is just as bad as having the speakers at this level... i suspect so...

i am building speaker stands that are the width of the speaker filled with sand they will sit on butyl rubber.... i figure that i could put the speakers on a set of auralex mo pads to angle them.... but i have read that having 2 compression points is not the way to go.

Therefore would it be okay to just place the speakers on auralex pads on the desk as opposed to building stands and all.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

In addition to placing your monitors above the mid point and angling down, you may want to avoid having your ears at the mid point of floor to ceiling measurement for the same reasons– either sit higher or lower as necessary.

Steve (Knightfly) also advises that "Monitors should NOT sit on the console but behind, placed on heavy decoupled stands - console placement causes early reflection problems in most cases, unless the console is slanted down in front a LOT."

Hope this helps,

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.