dynaudio

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

dynaudio

Post by Guest »

any opinions on dynaudio bm6a's for a 12'x21'x8' room?

cheers
bryan
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Very nice monitors. They should work well in your room as long as you follow the recommendations for placement and listening distance in the owner's manual.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
ALÉCIO COSTA - BRAZIL

Post by ALÉCIO COSTA - BRAZIL »

Hi! I am in a similar situation!
I am upgrading from Alesis monitor Ones to Bm5 or Bm6.
My room is (3.53 x 6 x 7.76) meters. New project to flat out bass response. with Mackies 824´s there was lot of build up bass.
Room certainly is going to sound much better
thanks
Eng. Alécio Costa
Music producer/Singer/Musician
Studio Digital Performance
Florianópolis, SC / Brazil
br.geocities.com/studiodigitalp
J.J.McLeod

Post by J.J.McLeod »

Hi Alecio. I've read a lot of your posts on other forums. Great to have you here!

I haven't heard the Dyns but they're on my list to check out, too. Just wanted to point out, though, that if you ever plan to soffit mount, Dyns are not the way to go. Read the other posts in the Speakers part of this forum for details.

Cheers,

J.J.

J.J. McLeod
Different Drummer Studios
www.differentdrummerstudios.com
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

I'm also checking the monitor market, and Dynaudios seem interesting (OK, partly because I'm half Danish). I need something to work as a complement for my NS-10's. First and foremost, I want a speaker with an accurate low end (which rules out the Mackie HR824). Do you think the BM6 would fit the bill? Or should I look at BM15's? (I'll of course check both out for myself, but your comments are still much appreciated).

Also, being the cheapskate that I am, I'd like to hear your opinion on buying the passive version of either Dynaudio speaker and driving them with the UREI 6260 I'm currently using for my NS-10's (2x300 W into 4 ohm) - rather than getting the actives. Some people say the Dyn actives are underpowered. Comments?

Cheers
/Henrik
Reality is overrated.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Henrik.

The BM6 is a better monitor than the BM15 in my opinion. All else being equal, 2-way monitors with larger woofers simply cannot match the midrange and midbass performance of smaller woofers. If you want deep bass without sacrificing the all important mids, then you really need to add a sub rather than going with a large format 2-way.

As far as the active versions being underpowered, I can't give a lot of comment. I haven't had opportunity to push them hard at the showroom. However, in my experience, the sound of "underpoweredness" usually results more from dynamic compression and acoustic misalignments associated with power dissipation within the drivers rather than a true power insufficiency of the amplifier (though amplifiers can certainly have other deficiencies). Dynaudio drivers typically have excellent power handling for their size - most especially the woofers with their large diameter voice coils. On the other hand, they tend to be quite inefficient. You're going to have to push a Dynaudio driver pretty hard thermally in order to make it crank out a lot of volume. My guess is that this lack of efficiency is what people could be complaining about.

And don't forget, achieving accurate low-end also calls for special attention to you're control room acoustics. Luckily, you've joined the right forum.;):)

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
JOHNNYGATE

Post by JOHNNYGATE »

what speakers are good for soffit mounting? I too was looking at dyn's
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Thanks for your comments, Thomas!
I had the impression from reading other user's comments that the BM6's are more smiley faced than the BM15's - your opinion on that?

Cheers
/Henrik
Reality is overrated.
JOHNNYGATE

Post by JOHNNYGATE »

I gather your talking about scooped out mids by saying "smiley faced ". Like a graphic eq..... :?
JOHNNYGATE

Post by JOHNNYGATE »

I gather your talking about scooped out mids by saying "smiley faced ". Like a graphic eq..... :?
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Yes, that's what I mean.
Reality is overrated.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Henrik,

I don't recall hearing that so much with the BM6. I would agree that all Dynaudios have that slightly dry and laid back "European" sound.... but not really "scooped". I'll have to go and listen to them again.

In any case, I recall that the BM15 is clearly lacking in midrange detail - on top of the already dry signature. I think the sonic evidence consistently bares out the fact that large woofer 2-ways can't complete with smaller woofers on midrange performance. Try filtering out the extended lows of the larger woofer to match those of the smaller woofer (to even out the "deep bass distraction factor") and the midrange discrepancies become very clear.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound