One room studio sketch

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

I think Tom was referring to absorber panels for acoustic treatment. proper isolation requires significant construction effort as documented in Rod's book.
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Yesterday I started building my panels. I got 10 of them, thanks to my friend´s help he´s good with tools and show how to do it. It was a great experience!.
I found some problems with measures and finally I ended up spending more money. I bought 9 1"x6"x13" pine tables, instead of 1"x8"x13" to meet my 4" rockwool panels, cutting those tables in the middle of course.
Now I have a bigger frame by 2". Do you see any trouble with that??. Notice that when I place them in the corner the rockwool will be 2" far of it. On the other hand those frames I have stand very well and I can put one above the other so I can cover my corner up to 6.6".
Later I could add 2" rockwool panels and I will have my frame filled.
Another question I have is if the frame should be covered by fabric or may be keep exposed. If so, rockwool panels will have the fabric on.
Thanks
Alfonso
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

I would only cover one side of the panels with cloth so you can add the rockwool later as needed and also for asthestics. technically you can leave them uncovered by even if its nots going to give you cancer, who wants to breath in particles or look at it?
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

I don´t think that´s gonna happen :lol:
The frame has a great look, so why don´t leave it exposed, wrap the rockwool panels with fabric and put them inside??.
Photo doesn´t make them any justice (cellphone camera), they look better.
Last edited by TamaSabian on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

maybe cover the face with cloth and tie it in bacl so you can add more later? nice frames!
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

The acoustic ceiling is almost finished. I need 4 more tiles, contactor calculations were wrong, not a big deal, just go buy them and install.
I´ve been thinking that isolation will be needed, but I´m not sure if what I´m able to do (I can´t build new walls, I got this spare room, take it or leave it) will be good enough to isolate my homestudio. My neighbors are my parents and sisters. Is a four floor building, my "studio" will be located at first floor. If you see my drawing my neighbors are located on my left (building main entrance) front wall my parents, back wall, parking space, right wall an empty house. My sisters are on the second and third floor. I live on the fourth. Rooms are far from sound source.
With that in mind the only thing I can do is put drywall with steel frames at 0.61 cms around the place. I´ll be leaving a 2" gap and fill it with some insulation. Do you think it could help me in some way, or I´ll waste my money??. I´ll be playing drums, and bands will come to record, so isolation must be needed. What you think??.
Thanks
Alfonso
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

do a search here on tennis balls - someone has a simple design for an isolation platform. and maybe some heavy gobos and a window cover or two so when tracking drums it cuts down some of the sound.

otherwise, isolation typically takes a lot of work to get it right and if you don't have options to significantly modify your space, you're best off trying to get the room sounding good and some other things to reduce some of the main paths where sound can escape un-impeded.
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

gullfo wrote:do a search here on tennis balls - someone has a simple design for an isolation platform. and maybe some heavy gobos and a window cover or two so when tracking drums it cuts down some of the sound.

otherwise, isolation typically takes a lot of work to get it right and if you don't have options to significantly modify your space, you're best off trying to get the room sounding good and some other things to reduce some of the main paths where sound can escape un-impeded.
Tom, that drum riser is amazing!!, it looks easy to build. Is ideal for me! :lol:
About gobos, jwl model look great don´t you think??.

Thanks for your support
Alfonso
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Another problem with my home studio. Something that never ends!!!. The room used to have a window that was replaced by a concrete wall. Due to humidity problems the place need a hole or something that allows air pass trough. The contractor did it and now I don´t know how to deal with it. Where air goes sound goes, so I got a problem there. On the other hand this is the only way people inside could breath fresh air. Do you have any idea what I could do with this hole, it looks like a little window, without glass of course. You can see it in the picture. As you may notice the bass trap panel that I will place over the corner will cover the hole.
Hope you can give me some suggestions about what to do.
Thanks
A
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you probably need some air ducting to provide a supply and return line - far enough apart to get air flow in the room - plus a silencer box built into each to keep sound from escaping - and something to move the air. maybe a ventilation fan in each to force the air through.

Rod is the HVAC expert...

the bas trap would have to be smaller to fit under the ducting.
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Glenn, do you know what can I do so Rod could check what you have done?. It would be great if I could have instructions to follow and do this myself.
Thanks
Alfonso

P.s. I´ve PM him but got no response. Do you think signing into his forum could be more effective?.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you could post the questions/photos/ideas into the construction forum and see if other folks can assist. Rod is no doubt busy with his activities so as much patience as possible is probably a good idea as well...
Glenn