fabric question

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

smog

fabric question

Post by smog »

Hi all,
I'm building an absorbent back wall and have thought about using the Guilford fr701. I'm wondering about muslin fabric. Has anyone used this before ? Is it worth looking into (cheaper). Thanks again.

Post by Guest »

Hi
Haven't tried muslin, but for something that's the same as Guilford for 1/2 the price, check out Burch Fabrics:

http://www.burchfabrics.com/panel_cloth.htm

You have to find a local dealer, but it was around $12 per yard vs $22-25 per yard for the Guilford. I do know, however, that muslin is less permeable than Guilford or Burch, so I'd imagine it'd not be as absorbent. Actually, if you want to really go cheap, burlap will work. You can get it in tons of colors. $3 per yard, very permeable.
laptoppop

Post by laptoppop »

I used unbleached muslin in my little studio and it worked great.

Hard to beat the price - it was $.99 a yard at the fabric store, but I got it on sale for $.69 per yard. (39" wide) I used hot glue on the seams, which also worked great - fast setting time.

One thing to be aware of is that it will have no fire resistance. However, there are several sprays that you can use to coat the fabric to get the fire resistance.

For me, when I wrapped my 703 in muslin, I was able to get it pretty flat, but not great. However, after wrapping it as well as I could and waiting for the hot glue to cool, I used a fabric steamer on it. That got out the wrinkles and shrunk the muslin slightly so that it looks great.

It seems plenty permeable to me.

You can see some pictures of my little studio in the studios under construction area.

-lee-
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Lee, you got any specs on your ISO Case, need to build one for my G4 Noisemaker.

Bryan Giles
laptoppop

Post by laptoppop »

No real specs. Its 30" deep, about 21" wide, and about 30" high including the wheels. It was made from 3/4" plywood and lengths of 2x2 lumber. It has 6 fans, 3 on each side. The inside of each compartment is lined with 1" thick OC 703 rigid fiberglass wrapped in muslin. The air holes on the side do not line up with the fans - they are deliberately offset to act as a sound baffle. The cool air comes into the bottom front of the computer. The hot air goes out the top back of the computer. I used enermax 80 mm fans with thermal control ($8.99 each with shipping from newegg.com)

There will be an update to the my studios under construction area soon that shows more details on the desk.

Any other questions about it?

-lee-
Anton

Post by Anton »

Yeah, i got a question about the ISO case,
1. how well does it work?

2. Could it be adapted for 2+ machines?

Is there anything else that you feel you would change if you were gonna do it today. Since hindsight is always 20/20 ;-)

Cheers
Anton
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

I am using Burch panel and CF Stinson ( www.cfstinson.com ) panel fabrics for my walls.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com