Mystery Machine Studios - Noise/Electrical question

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Is your neighborhood older houses with older electric service, or one of the newer developments? I'm wondering if your entire neighborhood is starved for power, if maybe the transformer feeding your house (and likely a couple of your neighbors) is too small now, or...

If so, that could/would cause the sags - also, ask your electrical guy if ANY of the HVAC motors, fans, etc, are "soft start" - this is almost always done with SCR's, and it's the same as putting dimmers on your studio lights :cry:

It'd be good if you have a way of checking the line voltage at the wall - best would be a recorder (expensive, unless you can talk the power company into putting one on for a week) - otherwise, you'd need a meter - make a log and check the power a couple dozen times a day and write it down (the voltage, that is) - best if you have exactly the same stuff turned on for each reading, so you know if it's outside the house where the sags are coming from.

As far as I know, there isn't any "magic wand" for finding out what's going on in these cases - just a lot of checks, with the info being run through a mind that's done it before :?

HTH... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
pamlico sounds

Re: Mystery Machine Studios - Noise/Electrical question

Post by pamlico sounds »

How is the Mystery Machine Studio electrical troubleshooting coming along? Wondering if a online power conditioner w/ voltage regulation would solve the problem. I have some of the same issues as you do, and would love to know if you've reached any conclusions.

I also live in Portland, OR, and would love to get the name of an electrician that knows how to upgrade me to a 200 amp panel and employ the techniques advocated for in this forum. Thanks in advance, and good luck to you!

-Ben