Sub Questions

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

IGWright

Sub Questions

Post by IGWright »

I'm doing an overhaul. I'm gonna be using my YSMp1s and my 1029As in the Control Room. I'm looking at buying subs for both.

I have a recording desk and I wanted to place the subs behind the desk, between the speakers. My currently design has the consumer 5.1 sub that came with my desktop below the desk, the YSMp1 sub behind it and the 1029A sub on top of the YSMp1 sub, like so:

. YSS1 .
.7050B (Below).
. .
.................................................. ...............
. .
. .
. Desk .
. Dell Sub (Below Desk) .
. .
.................................................. ...............

The other options I thought of would be to place them all beside each other behind the desk, OR . . . could one sub be used to all application?

Also, if I were to go for the set up I have planed, should I have some kiind of stand for each unit to sit on. I've noticed Sound Anchors has sub stands.

One more: should subs be placed directly on the ground for optimum performance?

Sorry, I know that's a lot, I'm somewhat new to all this low end stuff.

All the best,

Ian
UPS/PL-PLUS/ Aardsync/C-800G/ Trak2/TD-10
SP88X/QY70/Optipatch/MIDEX-8/DM-24/MSR6/HC-6
8200/M1710/CB4DRQ/96/52/SX3/Melodyne/10,000 RPM SCSI
IBM Deskstar/Tascam DA-P1/Tascam 322
DTR-1/Genelec 1029A/Yorkville YSMp1
Whisper Room/AcoustiLok/Tara Labs
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

http://www.etfacoustic.com/demoroom.all.html

Read carefully the paragraphs just below Fig. A - this will make it much easier to place your sub correctly.

As to using the same sub with 2 different sets of speakers, this will usually work - but NOT without recalibrating the system, since different mains will have differing response near the crossover frequency between mains and sub - also, differing sensitivity (that part of speaker specs that reads something like, "97 dB, 1 watt, 1 meter") will mean that the LEVEL of the sub would most likely need to change as well as crossover frequency.

HTH... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
IGWright

Post by IGWright »

I actually will be using separate subs for each set of speakers. Thank-you for the link it looks like just the right item.

Ian
UPS/PL-PLUS/ Aardsync/C-800G/ Trak2/TD-10
SP88X/QY70/Optipatch/MIDEX-8/DM-24/MSR6/HC-6
8200/M1710/CB4DRQ/96/52/SX3/Melodyne/10,000 RPM SCSI
IBM Deskstar/Tascam DA-P1/Tascam 322
DTR-1/Genelec 1029A/Yorkville YSMp1
Whisper Room/AcoustiLok/Tara Labs