speakers vibrating the wall

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

gdaddio

speakers vibrating the wall

Post by gdaddio »

well i took some advice from here and built soffits for my monitors but they are shaking the wall and dont sound nearly as good as when the monitors are on stands. im wondering if auralex mopads will make that much of a difference? doing so means im gonna have to cut the wall about 2 inches above the current position to make em fit which brings me to wonder if i just had my monitors on the mopads without any kind of soffit, would that stop the vibration from carrying over to the wall itself. help
britune

Post by britune »

do you have enough room to put a washcloth or towel under the speaker to see if that helps before you cut out the wall? if that seems to cut down on the noise, it might help you make your decision.
gdaddio

Post by gdaddio »

not really, i also thought about cutting out the speaker box entirely and put some stands back there and set the monitors on the stands and make them flush with the wall, does that sound like a good idea?
lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent »

The issue is your wall construction. Soffit mounting is overrated, because most people can't afford to do it right. Plus it messes with the monitor's EQ.

You need that wall to be rigid and rock solid. It appears that it is not. Floating the speaker isn't going to help things.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

gdaddio wrote:not really, i also thought about cutting out the speaker box entirely and put some stands back there and set the monitors on the stands and make them flush with the wall, does that sound like a good idea?
That could very well help. From the threads I've read here (checkout the sticky on the page on "Flush Mounting" and also track down Kendales studio construction pictures) it seems that an important factor is decoupling the structure that your monitors are supported from and the structure supporting your baffle plate. Putting the monitors on stands anchored to the floor would accomplish this.
lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent »

Taking your speakers out of the "soffits" and placing them on stands behind the wall will not help your sound. It will completely jack your f response anc create other problems.
Eriksmusicproduction

Post by Eriksmusicproduction »

I think he means to support the monitors completely from the stands but leave them still in the same position within the soffit, not touching the soffit wall to eliminate any direct contact/vibration transfer. Should help lots depending on the existing structure.
weatherstation audio

Re: speakers vibrating the wall

Post by weatherstation audio »

bump

I'm curious whether this re-design would work... if the answer is yes, could anyone elaborate on the blueprint of such a design ?
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

The speakers shouldn't be touching the front of the soffit.
It should be on a heavy stand whether that be brick or a wooden frame.
there should be no connection between the speakers and the wall.
Do you have a picture of your build?
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
alanna

Post by alanna »

What a coincidence. I am finding each and every question and answer over here although this question was first posted in 2007 (its been 4 years) and still its alive for me ( I think) :mrgreen: . So, I have the same issue as Mr. gdaddio. Built a soffit and placed speakers but the sound is not as good as I was expecting and vibration is also there. For lilith_envy- Speakers are not touching the front of the soffit and there is heavy stand for it. :?

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Last edited by alanna on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

please update your profile with your location. thanks!
it would help if you could show what it was that you built (photos, drawings, detailed explanation, etc.)
Glenn
alanna

Post by alanna »

gullfo wrote:please update your profile with your location. thanks!
it would help if you could show what it was that you built (photos, drawings, detailed explanation, etc.)
OK, I will. Thanks for your quick response. :)