does 1/4" difference in speaker height matter

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

gdaddio

does 1/4" difference in speaker height matter

Post by gdaddio »

building my soffits for my speakers and there is a 1/4" difference in height and i was wondering how much does this matter.
gdaddio

Post by gdaddio »

and i mean from the floor, the base of one is 36 inches from the floor and the other is 35 3/4 inches from the floor
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Even with a listening position as close as 4ft, that only translates to a 0.3 degrees difference in listening axis between the two monitors. So, it should make almost no difference. Not to mention our ears have far less acuity to vertical localization than they do horizontal.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
drfrankencopter

Post by drfrankencopter »

You could tilt your head to compensate for it....

Actually, are your ears even within 1/4"...considering posture etc?

Something to think about.

Cheers,

Kris

PS: In case it wasn't obvious I don't think it matters.
serge instrumental

Post by serge instrumental »

Your own ears could be asymetrical too. You know it only when you wear glasses, as sometimes you have to tweak them to fit properly. So nothin's perfect 8)
gdaddio

Post by gdaddio »

took you long enough to reply, i decided it would of been to much work to raise the speaker 1/4" so i left it but checking back on this helps me relax with experts input that its not gonna make any difference, thanks almost done my studio, will be posting pictures soon.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

gdaddio wrote:took you long enough to reply
Sorry, I know it's really no excuse, but running this speaker company sometimes makes me loose site of my priorities. Next time I'll try to be more attentive to YOUR needs. Maybe we can talk to John about having the forum automatically text message us whenever YOU post.... so we can get to work answering YOUR questions asap.

:wink: :D
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
gdaddio

Post by gdaddio »

Wow, you really know how to make someone feel important! Let me be humble and say you dont have to do all that, if it takes you a while to reply because your busy then its better late than never. And you cant give me special attention cause theres alot of other people out there that probally need more help than i do expecially since you already took the time to answer my more important questions. thanks again, as soon as i get my studio up and running and make some money ill be sure to make a donation.