Dirty Power

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

frostgfx

Dirty Power

Post by frostgfx »

Question:

Has anyone had to deal with 'dirty power'.. where something like an APC UPS unit constantly beeps as though the power has gone out for a split second? Wondering if I have a line problem due to the fact that I am in an old mill building, or could it be the UPS? I've tried to different UPSs and the same thing happens. I plugged them into the wall outlet and I don't get a 'line problem' light on the back of the UPS... so not sure what is going on. The lights aren't dimming (fluorescents), though I do hear some other fans or A/C systems in the building "surging?".

I plan to install an Equitek Balanced Power Supply for the Control Room and possibly a smaller Monster Unit for the Live Area for amps and such. Would like to know if there is something lurking in the lines that I need to address with the building owners.

Thanks...

Jon
Bass Rocks

Post by Bass Rocks »

I think it's probably the UPS. I've had the same thing happen with two different units, and just visited a new client yesterday where their APC unit is doing the same thing.

- Andy
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Andy:

It's strange that both units worked just fine in my home, but now that I have moved, they are having problems, so I wonder if there is a power 'sag' or something going on in the building power... as well.

Thanks for the response.
BTW... I will be in Newton on Saturday and wondered where your studio is located??? Perhaps the nickle tour...

Jon
Bass Rocks

Post by Bass Rocks »

Hey Jon,

If they worked at home, I'd try moving one back there and see if the beeping stops.

The UPS units I had were Belkins. They also both stopped taking a charge way too soon, and are now sitting in a closet waiting for my town's next hazardous waste collection day.

I'd love to give you a tour, but my studio is only at the cleaning-out-the-basement stage. I'm hoping to move on to the nearly-ready-for-construction stage in a week or two.

For the record, tho, I'm in Rockport, on the North Shore -- about an hour from Newton, and 2.5 from Northampton.

- Andy
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Andy:
I'm at the same stage though in a commercial space... 1,600 sq ft...(1,200) for studio/CR space. Planning for Digidesign D-Command 24 running PT HD3 Accel. What are you doing. Is John S doing your design or are you DIYing?

Let me know when you are further along on your project as I have a friend who owns the Beach St Bistro, so we could break some bread over there adn kibbitz about design/build/$$$$ black holes...

Jon Frost
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

What is the voltage on your AC lines? Read them and see if you have high or low power, or if it fluctuates.

I've seen this happen when the voltage is not what it should be.
Bass Rocks

Post by Bass Rocks »

Aaronw wrote:What is the voltage on your AC lines? Read them and see if you have high or low power, or if it fluctuates.
Good point -- get a cheap volt/ohm meter from Radio Shack and plug it into an outlet and see what you get. It could be off. I think (but I'm not certain) that 120-volt power is generally closer to 115 in practice.

Jon, I'm building a small control room and vocal booth. I'll be doing mostly Sony Acid and Vegas work, with a lot of midi, and it will be centered around the PC and my TASCAM FW-1884. Apart from vocals, I do very little with live sources -- I even usually record acoustic guitar through the pickup and a Fishman Aura (great little box).

You can see my basic plan HERE. Scroll down to Kendale's excellent Sketchup pic. It'll be something like that, although the CR will be about a foot longer.

So, nothing on the scale of what you're doing. I'd love to be able to play with a D-Command, sometime -- if only to play "space shuttle commander." Now that the Mbox Mini is out, I'll pick that up to get ahold of the Pro Tools LE software.

- Andy
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

I will get me voltmeter from the house and check out the line voltage...

Andy: If you need help with the audio wiring of your new rooms, let me know as that's what I did back in the 80s day in and day out... You're welcome to play 'space commander' once my place is up and running. I have PT LE and it's great with the Digi 002 RACK I have to go with it... lots of tracks, easy to use (so far).

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

A week or so ago I bought a Monster Power 3500 unit and much to my surprise, discovered that there is NO GROUND to my electrical service panel!!!! Guess I'm lucky I didn't cut that red wire...

Something for all of us to think about... no matter who you hire to do your work, there is no guarantee that it was done right...

Namaste,

Jon