My Little Project... Thoughts ?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Guest Depth

My Little Project... Thoughts ?

Post by Guest Depth »

Hi all and great Forum John,

I have an interesting space that I have been slowly manipulating. It is a rental space and I am on basically NO budget, but seem to make a few things happen by scraping and borrowing.

This space was converted into a garage at some point and has a sloped concrete floor with a small drain at the low point. I have done some temporary fixes to things like... of course the 12' garage door, and hung some materials to cut flutters. I put in a drum riser. The building is brick and the interior walls are plaster (in rough shape, but not too concerned about asthetics for the moment). The ceiling is dropped plaster about three feet below the roof.. open to a lofted area at the short end of the builing above "iso room"(see diagram).

This is mostly one big open room right now, in which I built a "stage" platform 20 x 16 that is partitioned from the large room with nice office dividers and some large wooden blinds. This was done for three reasons. 1. Level working surface for "control room" 2. Acoustic environment for "control room" 3. Room feel... not just sitting in a garage. NOT for isolation obviously. This has been working fairly well thus far, but there are of course problems working this way.

I am now considering making a room out of my platform control room. I will again be doing the work on low budget. I have some real nice double pane sliding glass doors that I wood like to turn into a control room window.. they were donated. I am thinking of just building three walls around the platform then treating the interior.. oh, and a door I guess.

Cheap, Effective, Decent, any ideas... a good plan can save me much pain. Feel free with ANY ideas.

[/img] Oops how do I pop on a .jpg from my Drive ?

Jeff
Depth

Post by Depth »

Testing to see if user name appears.
jeff
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Oops how do I pop on a .jpg from my Drive ?
use the add attachment option when you post.:)

I'll answer your questions when you've posted the pic.

cheers
john

Post by Guest »

I dont see an option 2 attach a pic from my drive?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

jeff - when you reply there is a section below where you type in called Attachment Posting Control Panel. You will see an option box saying Add and Attachment. Click that and the page will refresh with a browse button that allows you to select a file from your puter :)

cheers
John
Depth

Post by Depth »

Hi John,
I wasn't the Guest who said that they "don't see an option 2.....". But, I must admit that it doesn't currently appear in my browser either.
jeff
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Jeff, I've changed the option so lets see if it works for you now.
Anyway here's your pic.
I'll get back to you :)
cheers
John
Depth

Post by Depth »

The Ceiling height hidden by the Smart Draw Demo text is 12' 10" at the bottom of the room.
jeff
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

jeff - I assume you are looking at facing your work area towards the drum riser area so the doors will be at the bottom of the drawing.

I'd make some free standing panels so you can build an angular shape around you gear...this will stop standing waves etc. with it open at the rear. I'd treat the rear wall with heavy insulation

sortta like this.
Depth

Post by Depth »

This was my first idea.
jeff
Depth

Post by Depth »

Regarding the floor. As I have stated this is a low budget project .. time and money are short. Though the floor/platform is far from perfect, I do not wish to move or redo it. I was considering stiffening the floor with an additional layer of 3/4" plywood. Also, the gap to the current existing wall.. once the rest of the walls are up and this functions acoustically as a room. Do you see any advantage to leaving the gap and insulating under the floor ?... Bass Trapping ?
jeff
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

If you look at my plan I've splayed the walls to stop standing waves. I've also left it open to the whole room which would increase your bass response cos you aren't trying to contain it all in the control room.
The plywood will work on the floor.

cheers
john

Post by Guest »

Hi again,

That is just it.. I will be attempting to keep it IN the room. The idea is that I am going to turn what is currently just a platform, into an actual room. What you show is quite similar to the way that I currently have things. Just facing the other way. :)
Depth

Post by Depth »

Sooo...
Considering this a sealed room, what are your thoughts regarding the use of the space under the floor. And should I leave open the gap between the floor and the currently existing wall...?
jeff
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

if you can use the space between the floor and the wall I'd use it. Make sure there is plenty of insulation under the floor to stop resonance :0

cheers
john