Important Question: Getting a Job at Studio Reliable?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

MyShrimpDied

Important Question: Getting a Job at Studio Reliable?

Post by MyShrimpDied »

Hey guys, I couldn't find a section of the forum for this question so I figured I'd just put it in the biggest. I apologize if this is out of place.

I am considering going to Berklee college of music in a year or so and I am torn between double majoring in Performance and Music Production and Engineering, or Performance and Music Buisness and Management. I Would MUCH rather double in Performance and Music production because I find the Music Production aspect of music more interesting then the business side. My question to you is: Would it be a wise decision to depend upon getting a degree in music prod. and engineering from Berklee and be able to get a job at a recording studio once out of school? Is this a reliable job field to depend upon? I have heard that the state of the major label recording industry is poor because of the advent of technology which allows for people to do it at home and not even bother with going to a major label, i'm not a knowledgeble studio engineer so I don't know.

Would a job at a recording studio in LA, NYC, or Boston, MA be a good thing to fall back on if the 'Performance' side of things doesn't quite work out? I need something that is full proof so I don't wind up on the street.

Thanks!
- Nick
JesusFreak1959

Answers to Life's Big Questions

Post by JesusFreak1959 »

Hi Nick,

I am a 30 year vet of the music and recording industry that has enjoyed pro and semi-pro status. In high-school, I played in bands and tinkered with a home studio. I did my undergrad studies in music, didn't "make it" as an artist in L.A., started my own music and sound design co. for the computer games industry that flopped after 5 years, worked as an in-house sound designer for 4 years until I moved out of L.A., worked as a corporate producer on video, photo and VO for 7 years, got laid off, and now I've got an audio post gig at a local production house.

The above synopsis should indicate that there are no guarantees in any line of work. That or I am simply an imbecile and can't hold a job. After completing my degree in music, I decided to play it "safe" as I hustled my music to record companies in L.A. and I worked as a computer programmer/systems analyst. It paid well (70k) and held the promise of zero layoffs at the time. After 12 years, that all changed and now all those jobs are going to India, China and elsewhere. That is when I started my own company.

If you are industrious, you will not starve. Heck, there's always selling French fries at McDonalds. But I suppose if you've got the smarts to get into Berklee, you won't be pushing fries.

Just be sure you LISTEN to people when they evaluate your skills. Do what you are really GOOD at and you will prosper, God willing. "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but the Lord directs his steps."

Obviously the trend toward home and project studios is in full swing and it is putting the pressure on commercial studios to conduct their affairs efficiently. But large companies, successful businesses and hot, successful artists don't want to record in someone's basement. They want the assurance and skill sets of larger enterprises, so commercial studios are always going to be around.

In general, though, all businesses are being challenged by individual creativity and industry. It is just the song of the day.

Hope this helps. Godspeed.

Mark
jwl

Post by jwl »

My advice is to forget all about what job you will get after you graduate. Studies show that the average person these days changes careers... not jobs, but CAREERS.... 8 or 10 times in their lifetime. So education with an eye toward a specific set of job skills may not be the smartest thing from a long-term perspective.

Rather, go with what excites your passions. Would you be happier studying music production, or music business? Does the thought of recording bands sound like fun, or does the thought of booking gigs for other bands, doing A&R work, getting coffee for some record label mucky-muck sound thrilling?

Follow your heart, and the jobs will come.