Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I noticed Jon hasn't posted the latest pics, I think he's worn out :D
so here they are.

Jon, and his crew are doing a wonderful job of this - It's very complex.

The rear wall of the control room and the front speaker installation.

cheers
john
camistan

Post by camistan »

Greetings!
I had a few questions on those last pics...

1.) Is the rear wall a "diffusor" type build?

2.) It looks as if the speaker box baffle is not flush with the soffit face.
(Looking at the wood, it looks as if the soffit face is finished). Are the
speakers simply not pushed back to their final home position or is
there another "face to be added to be flush with the speaker baffle?

3.) How was the speaker secured in the soffit box?

4.) Was there anything specifically done to secure the speaker due to
it's sloping angle?

Thanx!
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

the rear wall is a vertical slot resonator design I've developed for corner studios. I first tried it in Guruland Studios and was pleased with the result.
Below it is superchunk filled.

The speakers aren't fully in place as Jon is waiting on the correct interface for the speakers.
Woodart

XMM

Post by Woodart »

[
Werry impressiv Carpenter skill"s. . .
keep going
All Dressed up and nowhere to go!!!
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Ah... if only I could take credit for those carpentry skills... Those belong to Tim and "X".

As of today, I have the AIR20s working in stereo w/ Sub. Still working on Digital 5.1.

Ongoing Issues
For some reason the patchbays don't want to pass phantom power, so if anyone is familiar with ADC brand EDAC model of 96 pt. TT patchbays, PM me.

Also need to get the Aviom system working. Seems like this system wants to use the Direct Outs which I am currently using for output to my A/D converters through ADAT.

Last but not the least, I need to get my System 6000 up and running out of one AES 8 channel I/O Card. Something about the patching from the Yamaha DM2000 console to the System 6000 is funky.

So there you have it. Progess but not quite ready to charge clients. Fortunately I have some local folks providing sound sources to debug things in the CR.

Have a wonderful day.

Namaste,
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

May 10 ---

Finally got up some energy to tackle the phantom power problem. Seems two panels were wired correctly and two were wired backwards... Go figure. Sent an e-mail to Redco Audio about this QC issue.

Next thing to tackle is the Aviom Headphone system. Once I have this working I'll be open for buinsess and boy do I need the $$$!

Namaste,
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

May 15 ---

Sometimes things just work in your favor.... like the epiphany I had while some friends were rehearsing this afternoon. Now I can make up two more cables and have the Aviom cue system up and running shortly.

Still pulling what little hair I have left out trying to get the AIR 20s to work as the manual describes for a Digital 5.1 Surround system.

It's so nice when a plan comes together like the phantom power working without having to think about it! And thanks to AKG for putting those pretty LEDs on the C414XLS that can be seen from 30' away in the CR.

Finished insulating the Live Room ceiling this afternoon. Next step is 2mil plastic and then finish the insulation/Plastic in the CR.

BTW... since I am not quite 'open for business' if anyone wants to come by to check out the studio, or perhaps jam with some of your friends, drop me a note or call 413-529-2479. I hope to be fully open by months end, but certainly willing to entertain visitors.

Namaste,
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
jwl

Post by jwl »

Congrats, Jon! Getting very close now!
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
Drumdrumdrumdrum

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum »

Open by end of May errrr?

Well...It's September.

How about some final picks?

I'm really looking forward to seeing the end product.

Cheers
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

October 11 ---

Greetings from Western MA. I've been away for the summer and made no progress from June to September 30...

Now that I've rewired my brain, I'm working on the finishing touches to the patchbays and outboard stuff. The Aviom monitor system is working as planned using the Send portion of the Channel Inserts. The Aviom system interface has both Input and Through so I can still connect Compressors or what have you to an individual channel.

The AIR 20 5.1 speaker system is working as designed. Boy was this a frustrating piece of kit to get working. Seems it worked all along... I just didn't have the Surround volume and Bus switch engaged!!!! Duh Oh!!!! Once the painters have finished the speaker fly, I will have them installed and look forward to really hearing what is being recorded.

The TC Electronics System 6000 Reverb system is almost ready. I am waiting for the License Codes for Multi-Channel Reverbs. In addition, I have a Lexicon PCM 91 and an MX400 Multi-channel Reverb.

I've been fortunate to have some local musicians drop by for jam sessions and testing of individual instruments like Cello, Viola, Acoustic Guitar, etc. Today it was an A-B-C mic shootout on a cello and Viola. What a difference a particular mic can make.

I have my carpenter scheduled to put together (7) Gobo frames for Amplifier and Drum isolation in the Live Room. After that, he'll be finishing off the Drum Booth and then on to the Vocal Booth. The Control Room is going to have to wait a while since the money has dried up.

On the 'dealing with the landlord' front... it seems that I am being charged for the electricity drawn by the transformer that supplied power to my studio. The landlord will have to have the meter magnets moved to my power panel, since this is the normal location for metering. This another reason I haven't been working much. It's costing me over $100/Mo. to have the studio shut down! WTF.

I will try to get more pics uploaded once I get another battery charger for my digital camera.

Wishing everyone on the forum the best of luck and if you are in the Northampton, MA area, drop me a line at 413-529-2479 to schedule a tour.

Namaste,

Jon Frost
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

October 26 ---

Things are back in motion at Meow Mix. The carpenters are hard at work having completed construction of 7 - 4x4' Gobo frames which I am finishing tomorrow and will be ready for use.

They are about 1/2 way through fabricating cloth covered OC 703 panels for the back and side walls. Then they'll be working on the slat resonator/cloth panels for the three corners of the Drum Booth. Hoping to have the drum booth mostly finished by Friday so I can do some test recordings to evaluate the changes in tonality of the room. Hope to deaden it a bit from where it is now.

Once the Drum Booth is completed, the doors on either side of the Live Room will be installed.

Still struggling with the AIR 20 speakers... seems my soffits swelled with the change in environment from the shop where they were made and my Control Room. Lots of sanding going on I'm afraid!

All the outboard goodies are wired in and working with the slight exception of my 2-LA-2 which has one bad side...

The balance of the Live Room has been painted and the Control Room woodwork has been finished. It will be awhile until I can get to work on finishing the cosmetics of the Control Room (i..e. ceiling panels and speaker box panels.

Keep the prayers coming that the weather holds and the carpenters can continue at their ferverish pace.

Namaste,

Jon
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 1 ---

OK... The Drum Booth is completed and I had my first paying customer in to track two songs on Friday. After some tuning and muffling of the toms, had the kit mic'd up with kick, snare, hat, rack and floor toms and two overheads. Quite pleased with the results.

Bass was DI'd and the guitar was placed in the vocal booth for isolation. Guitarist wanted a very trebly sound which was OK, but not what I would have chosen. Given that the acoustic panels have not been placed in the Vocal Booth and that it was quite dead, the result was OK.

We also did the vocals in the vocal booth and they were good as well. I think having a slat resonator in the corner will make a difference when tracking VOs and some vocals. Used a Neuman TLM 103 for the Vox.

My carpenters will be back on Tuesday to get started on the Vocal Booth and that should take about 3 days to complete.

The CR has been painted and the cloth frames around the surround speaker enclosures will get done next week as well I hope. Money is very tight... read way over budget... but the results are as expected. I figure the CR will need some fine tuning once the AIR 20s are all working... the right side needs another cable run I suspect.

The little things like a couch to crash on between takes and the water dispenser/mini-fridge are crucial to a studio hang.

Will get some pics tonite and some wav files of the drums for those who might be interested.

Hope you all had a nice Halloween. Thanksgiving is just around the corner!

Namaste,

Jon
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 5 ---

Obama in the White House... now on with our show!

Pics from Gobo, Drum and Vox Booth finish work.

Happy building.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

More pics from the latest work.
Ro

Post by Ro »

that's looking awesome, man!