Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

2/18---

Here a few pics of the recent mailing equipment move and the demo of the east walls to be blocked in on Monday with 8" cinder blocks and paint.

John mentioned that I should float the CR floor as a concrete floor... so looking into that idea.

Photo 5 - Looking into the neighbor's space through the walls I demo'd and will be filled with concrete block on Monday. Also the drain pip above will end up in the same place on the opposite side of the wall...

Photo 4 - New outlets for my mailing machines... new platform for the machines will be built here on Monday.

Photo 3- Shot of my envelope inserting machine and strapper/lable printer...

Photo 2 - Rodger and 'Dad' who moved my inserter from my home basement into the new space... on time, on budget, and unscathed!

Photo 1 - Self Portrait after a long day of Demo with the electricians... last Sunday...

Next photos after the weeks' work is complete.

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

2/19 ---

Rod Gervais came out for a site visit and uncovered a number of things I hand't thought about or considered carefully enough... He arrived just in time for the masons and let them know that I needed solid blocks or sand filled cores... that must have saved me $$$$$$$$.

He also mentioned some things about ADA compliance and electrical/lighting as well. Money well spent in my book.

Busy morning with all sorts of people coming and going... By the end of the day, I'll feel like something has been accomplished... and my wallet will depleted farther than I had planned... but better off for the extra expense.

Jon
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

frostgfx wrote:2/19 ---

Rod Gervais came out for a site visit and uncovered a number of things I hand't thought about or considered carefully enough... He arrived just in time for the masons and let them know that I needed solid blocks or sand filled cores... that must have saved me $$$$$$$$.

He also mentioned some things about ADA compliance and electrical/lighting as well. Money well spent in my book.

Busy morning with all sorts of people coming and going... By the end of the day, I'll feel like something has been accomplished... and my wallet will depleted farther than I had planned... but better off for the extra expense.

Jon
Jon,

please send me an email at the addy I gave you today - I do want to finalize today's meeting with a formal report of everything we discussed.

Sincerely,

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 23 - almost midnight...

This week has been hectic with all sorts of demolition, masonary walls going up, water lines coming out, old window wells being demo'd (by yours truly)
and the security doors finally being ordered.

Next week will see the longest block wall being installed... and lots of mailing work to be done... (have to pay the bills somehow).

Pix on Monday when I recover from my demo work tonite... I'm beat!

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 26th ---

As promised, here are some pics from the weekend demolition derby...

Tomorrow 2/27 - Masons start on the largest wall 28' x 15' and the rear door RO. Turns out that my power panel has to be relocated ($$$) around the corner since the new West block wall is smack dab in line with the panel... Best laid plans and all... By then end of next week, all the demo will be complete, the block walls laid and the sprinkler test valves relocated out of my space.

Has anyone had problems with PayPal's new security policy? Seems they locked down my account just as I was going to transfer money to John S for his services. It's been 2+ weeks and I still don't have it fixed yet. Anyone else with this problem?

652 - Looking out to where the old West wall was... in a week or so, there will be a new block wall, 6' double panel door and the beginnings of my alarm/access system installed. Finally, I can lock the door when I go home at night...

650 - There used to be a wall here... but my trusty crowbar and power screwdriver took care of that!

643 - There are three of these old window sashes on the North wall... that will be demo'd and replaced with solid concrete block walls. This used to be the building exterior wall at one time.

634 - Paul the mason (part time comedian and overall wonderful guy to work with) bricking in one of 3 old fan portals in the North wall. 2 Layers of brick to equal the 8" solid block elsewhere... Obviously not quite the same STL value, but there will be an air space and double wall structure in front of the original brick wall.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Awesome pictures -- and I missed (until now) the fact that you got an on-site consultation from the man! 8)

You're lucky to be so close to him! I'm sure many on the forum would wish for the same luxury. I know I sure would have two years ago when I was up to my eyeballs in crumpled up planning failures! :lol:

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

2/27---

Here's a pic of the new South wall door RO... soon to be filled with a real live door.

Bad news today... No more money to continue with renovations til later in April... have to grab a cash advance on my CC in the meantime... Talk about unforseen costs...

Will keep posting with news as I have it in the meantime.

Be well,

Jon
Luftweg

Hey, that place looks familiar!

Post by Luftweg »

I saw the 'western MA' location tag, so I opened the thread and looked at the pics....

Said to myself, that building looks familiar...
Then saw the NOHO tag....

I spent quite a bit of time in Northampton when I was at UMass Amherst a few years ago...

But even though the building looks obviously something I've seen alot, I can't for the life of me put it on a street...

Well, I'm going back to the 'Happy Valley' to visit peoples soon, so I might look out for it.... and then say 'ah ha'....

Gotta say, I had some great times in the Valley, and I miss it a great deal from time to time....
While at UMass, things were in an almost dream-like quality...

Even thinking of transfering to that area again possibly...
Of course, even though your building will probably serve you well, it doesn't relay the charm to others here who have no idea of the area -- as I'm sure you realize...
Nice to see things more 'local' to me (or my past) being posted...
...Building codes? What building codes?

K
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

K:

This is the Eastworks Building in Easthampton, 116 Pleasant St. Rm 011...

You are certainly welcome to stop by for a look see... though not much to see but a bare shell right now...

Take care and hope to meet you someday.

Jon Frost
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

March 4th ---

Finally got PayPal payment to go through to John S... He's come up with some great ideas! Large Control Room, Piano Room, Drum Booth and an Iso Booth in addition to a seating area off the CR.

I bought a Laser Tape and re-measured the entire space.., somehow I gained 4' in length! John thinks I might be able to use the entire 14' 7" of ceiling height... which would be awesome considering the size of the space... It will have a 'retro' look to it with the steel beams, pipes, etc. showing. This way I can save some $$$ by not having to add downward facing sprinkler pendants... The downside is that I have to caulk every stinking foor board joint in the existing ceiling, something like 1,000 linear feet with cracks ranging from 1/4" to almost 1" wide... Then add 3 layers of fire Rock to the floor boards...

The concrete floor will be leveled with cement and a cork floor applied on top. That way, my aching back and knees will be able to take the shock.

The next two weeks will be geared toward finishing the concrete block West wall, installing doors, alarm/access system and abating the asbestos covered steam pipes which will then be removed... leaving an almost pristine ceiling.

Fortunately, I have some large mailing jobs coming in to help with the bills and some new clients right in the same building... great space, great place and nice neightbors to boot!

Namaste,

Jon
camistan

Post by camistan »

WOW! :shock:
I don't think I've ever encountered a thread where all the "BIG GUNS" have all "come to the same PARTY! " :lol:

This looks like it's going to be a very exclusive-exciting project. I look forward to seeing the progress of your studio as it unfolds Jon.
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

frostgfx wrote: John thinks I might be able to use the entire 14' 7" of ceiling height... which would be awesome considering the size of the space... It will have a 'retro' look to it with the steel beams, pipes, etc. showing. This way I can save some $$$ by not having to add downward facing sprinkler pendants... The downside is that I have to caulk every stinking foor board joint in the existing ceiling, something like 1,000 linear feet with cracks ranging from 1/4" to almost 1" wide... Then add 3 layers of fire Rock to the floor boards...
Jon,

I doubt that this works from an isolation point of view - the steel beams are a problem as well as the pipes (which will transmit sounds from your space through the building and vis-versa).

You're probably going to still need to isolate your ceiling from the existing structure - but - done correctly, you will still get almost what you have now - not a whole lot of loss.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Stan:

Just my luck...location, location, location. Since this is probably the only studio I'll ever build I want to get it done right the first time. I have been out of the business for close to 21 years now, so the technology and practices have changed tremendously. I am like a virgin on her third date.

Having Rod come by was worth every penny spent... he saved my roughly 10K with one visit!!! The difference between cored block and solid block is a huge in terms of isolation (MASS) and my mason didn't see anything wrong with using cored block. Rod showed up just before they were going to start laying block. A days delay...AOK.

John's designs are wonderful. I visited this forum a few months back and then visited his website. I tried to find others closer to me in NY, MA and VT but they wouldn't touch the project (too small they said). John was happy to find time in his oh so busy schedule for my project and here we are about 2 months later with first & second draft flat plans. I am amazed at how much functionality can fit into 1,200 sq. ft! With some minor changes, we should be working on section plans shortly.

So it's just my luck to have all the 'big guns' working on my project. I look forward to many postings and input from everyone on the forum. I have enjoyed wathcing as others progress from an idea to a finished project.

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

March 8 ---

This week has seen real tangible progress!

Started the week with moving the power panel;

Finishing the South wall egress door RO and the 29' West Wall with solid blocks;

The detail photo shows what the North wall will include after removing the existing windows & frames and replacing with solid concrete block walls.

The block will be laid flush with the existing brick wall (white). There is a 2' gap then the 7" steel beam. The North wall will be built to soffit around the 4" drain from the Apollo Grill next door and above me. This air space should help with isolation quite a bit.

The photo with the rock hammer shows the futility of trying to break what you think is concrete and turns out to be granite... 4 hours to do the little damage I could to one bollard. I called Witch Equipment and they are going to come out next month (when the dumpsters get moved for access) to cut the two bollards of granite and saw cut 2' off the right side of the ramp to make more room for the Drum booth and Iso booth. Closet/storage along the other side of the skinnier ramp for mic stands, cables, coats, etc.

The ceiling photo shows the detail of the ceiling above and the layout for determining ceiling height somewhat. The floor boards are 2.5" thick; the steel beam is also supporting a timber that runs from 6" thick show here to 4" at the North wall for drainage of the roof structure above.

It looks as though the finished ceiling height will be somewhere between 9' 10" and 10' 4". I have to allow access and a plywood deck for sprinkler servicing down the road... sof figured to put in 3/4" plywood decking on top of the TrusJoists spanning the main room. With 3 layers of 5/8" fire rock. I am Ok with the lowered deiling height. What does everyone else think???

More photos of door install and sprinkler changeover coming soon.

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

March 8 Continued...

Weds. was demo day for the Fire Door on the South wall so the new steel security doors could be installed. Tim from TradeMark Custom Installations did the door work. Couldn't meet a finer guy... even let me help out a bit.

I also took the time to chisel out the spill humps in the floor Still a but to do here and there... Somehow I can't help thinking about Michelangelo...

Weds afternoon and Thursday saw the MJ Moran sprinkler crew cutting and threading 20 new heads and downward pendants with temp plugs. Once the final ceiling height is known and walls erected, the guys will come back in to cut the pipes back and install the heads and eschuceons (sp) once the drywall is in place.

Friday is 'get out of here' day so the Abide Environmental folks can remove all the asbestos from the old steam and hot water lines. I'll try to get some pics before they get started. Probably not everyone has to deal with this aspect of demolition. Fortunately, the building owner has to foot the bill for this part!

Issue of the Week: Does anyone have experience with isolating an exhaust fan (Large/Heavy/Noisy)? The restaurant above and adjacent to the Northwest corner of my space is creating 30dB increase in lower frequency noise infiltration. I assume it is vibrating the whole roof structure. Wondering if there is a reasonable solution to creat greater vibration control? Any ideas? Bueller? Bueller?

Have a nice weekend. More pics the end of next week. You won't recognize the place I assure you...

Jon