Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes - Jon has cheered up and is up and at it. :D

Yesterday we finally resolved the console layout for the DM2000.

Here's where the design has come to.

12meg wmv file

cheers
john
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 1 ---

Well, there you have it... my whole retirement savings going into a life long dream... at least I can bed down in the Amp Booth with the floating floor!

But seriously, John has been busting arse with the details and working out the color scheme and cloth/wood/paint finishes. Tonite he solved a huge issue with how to maximize the CR space for the Yamaha DM2000 console and 2 24" monitors and still be able to see into the studio proper.... and gave me loads of rack space on the right side to boot!

Yesterday I framed out the Live Area/Vocal Booth wall which went well until my electrician pointed out that something was 2" off... actually it was only 1.5" (an extra stud)... rip out the top plate/new top plate... rip out the bottom plate... new bottom plate... whalla. Now I need 5 really strong fellows to heft the wall up, missing the sprinkler drops and move it into final position... Lunch is on me. Any takers?

Thursday I need to get some mailings done and then move the glu-lam beams somehow out of my space temporarily so I can frame up the Drum Booth front walls. Once they are complete, the electrician can finish roughing in his receptacles and such. Would really like to have a rough electrical/framing inspection done within a weeks time so I can insulate/drywall a bunch of space and make room for the ceiling joists... 50 bundles of Thermafiber in the walls is better than 50 bundles taking up valuable floor space!

There is a chance the Amp Booth will be complete within the month with all finishes in place as a prototype for the other rooms... This is another place where John S. has come up with creative solutions to seemingly complex issues.

I've started making some purchases on line for some of my kit... preamps, software, etc. UAudio is having some good deals (rebates) through the end of the year and I plan to have a bunch of their hard/software in place. I also had a rather worrisome situation with American Music Supply. I was going to order an Lex PCM 81 & 91 from them and they sent me an e-mail that I had to call their Credit department, who wanted me to have a conference call with my bank to verify my account... SOUNDS FISHY! Told them to take a hike and I am going to call my CC company to see if this is legit practice. Never had to do this... ever.

Now that the colder weather has set in, I'm looking forward to working more comfortably in the studio space and seeing things progress more and more each day. What difference some drywall and insulation can make.... 4 second reverb decay... now down to about 1.3 sec.

Best of luck to everyone on the forum with their build outs. Always willing to chat/visit others who are slogging through the process.

Namaste,

Jon
Lou

Post by Lou »

Hi Jon – Mate, I’ve been meaning to reply to your awesome thread for weeks, but, to be perfectly honest, have been a bit rapped up in my own little project! :oops:

By way of cheering you up still further – wait for it, you’ll love this one:

You wrote:
What a difference a couple of days can make...
Yesterday I got divorced!
Man, I can soooooo relate to that, but can also say, If yours took less than five and a half years to complete, cost you less than £140,000.00 ($280,000.00 - That's what the ex got out of the deal), and you have seen your young kids in the last two and a half years, then you did considerably better than me. Specifics are personal, not fishing, as I said just trying to make you feel a bit better about your situation, 'cos I've been there too. It seems that the legal system is totally screwed in this area worldwide. :roll:

Now, here’s the really good bit, no matter what happens from now on, you’ve already moved so far forward it’s almost frightening, all the ridiculous crap that you will have doubtless had to put up with for God knows how long has only made you stronger and more determined as a person, and furthermore, with two of the ‘biggest guns’ up here right with you, your dream will very soon be a reality, and you are the one making that happen. :)

Your doing a great job Sir, and Mr Sayers’ walkthrough is typically mind-blowing (especially the ‘Air 20 system’ that I also intend to install!) :wink: :wink:

My hat is very definitely off to you, many congrats on your freedom, and of course your awesome project. Keep ‘em coming Buddy, :wink:

Kindest regards,

Lou. 8)
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 1 ---

Thanks Lou for your support and kind words... I did fair better since we didn't have kids and it took 'only' 15.5 months... of shear mortal hell! You are correct that once the agreement was signed, I could 'breathe' for the first time in a very long time. I am forging ahead with getting my life in order, working in earnest on the buildout (alone mostly) and enjoying my dear friend Rose who has been supporting me emotionally and ^%(^(&... you know.

Today was a great day in deed. Yesterday was a 20 hour day... today was only 10... but that time was well spent. The Live Area wall for the Vocal Booth was erected with the help of a rented chain fall (hoist) and my neighbors through the solid block wall. Now I only have the front double wall for the Drum Booth to frame out...

The electrical inspector is coming tomorrow afternoon and with luck I will be spending many a long day insulating the Vocal Booth and the rear CR walls which have no wiring in them. The Ramp and Chill Area can be partially insulated and drywalled. and I plan to put in the sleepers for the flooring of that area as well.

I am doing some things a bit out of order since I am working alone and want to get some rooms completed before others so I can get some customers in and make some scrub! All the fine work of John S is paying off already in inspiration and mostly perspiration! With each new wall that goes up the place looks more and more like I envisioned about a year ago this time.

Now that all the walls around the CR perimeter are up, I can focus on the front walls which are double 2x6s with plenty of space between the glass... I can really only put in the sole plates and build the knee walls to the bottom of the glass. I'll have the guys with the laser levels build the rest of the CR thank you!

HVAC is being roughed in a two weeks or so and then I have a Design/build firm coming Tuesday to go over what is needed to frame the CR and build the ceiling structures/acoustic panels in the ceiling of the Live Area. Once they do their part, the electricians will be back, along with the door installers, the glazier, finish carpenter/cabinet maker and painter. If all goes as planned, Meow Mix will be open for business in
March '08!

Does anyone else on the forum have experience/opinions/issues with Dynaudio AIR 20s in a 5.1 system? This is the system I am proposing, but have not yet had a chance to demo them live. My rep is working on a local demo though.

I am also focusing on systems integration and scaling back on my kit list since the build out is going to cost way more than initally planned... always happens. Glad I spent my money last year on my mic closet and such, since the prices were good. Now the market has tanked and I couldn't afford the selection I have in house.

The next item to focus on is integrating a TC Electronics System 6000 Reverb to the Yamaha DM2000 console. Fortunately the previous owner of the console had a 6000 so perhaps he can shed some light on what routes to where for the the most functionality with 5.1 surround. I do know that the connections are AES/EBU though.

I am running MOTU 2408 MKIII interface(s) ADAT out of the DM2000 into my MAC Pro. I plan to have another interface which is solely patchable for direct connections, (i.e. Tube Mic - Avalon 737SP - Distressor - Cubase/Nuendo 4.)

Cue Monitoring - Aviom system with 5 personal mixers channel-patched
either from the Console or the MAC Pro D/A Converter.

On to Patchbays... ADC EDAC 3-pin 96 TT plug style... anyone have experience working with EDAC pins? Would like to learn how to prep them so I could help out with the patchbay wiring. Having a ball listing every stinking connection and whether it will be non, half or full normalled... Perhaps Aaron or someone else on forum can help out with this part of the process. PM me and I can send you my spreadsheet listing equipment, connection types and planned routing.

Last on the kit list is UAudio hardware/software - Extreme Pack and the IT Total Studio Bundle.

Been looking for 'demo' versions of my kit list since I have saved several hundred dollars so far watching for demo postings on Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, ZZounds, and a place called Florida Music.

Still trying to shrink my photos without Photoshop since it refuses to load for an unknown reason these days.

Take care, be well and remember to double check for squareness when framing a 15' x 11' wall...oops...

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 2 ---

Spent the day insulating the perimeter walls of the CR which have no electric in them... Finished building the North perimeter wall of the CR over to the west wall. Inside this area will be a Winsted rack with mains balance power conditioners (5) main sync, Word Clock DA x 2, MOTU Interfaces and other things that I don't need access to readily.

Electricians came by in the afternoon to finish rough in on my Vocal Booth and Exit Lighting for all the spaces and a few random receptacles. The electrical Inspector came by at 4:30 and passed everything! Now I can insulate the VB, DB, Ramp & Chill Room, drywall the front wall of the Amp Booth.

Electricians will have to come back next week to pull the wires for the 5 studio circuits to the Line side of the Winsted rack area and the lighting circuits which wil be on Variac dimmers. Thanks to John S for cutting down the number of fixtures needed.

Ordered the balance of mic snakes from Redco Audio. If you need anything connector or wire/cable wise - Ask for Chris Stubbs. Nice guy!

My floor installer is going to install Ash 3" plank floor in the Amp Booth in two weeks and I am working on getting the wall frames done and ordering the Guilford of Maine Straw and Burgundy fabric for the frames. Will also be renting a drywall lift to get the Advantech and 5/8" sheetrock on the 'roof' of the Amp booth. This room has a flat roof and only two can lights on a dimmer.

Next is the glazier to install 3/8" glass (4'x6') on the Amp Booth wall. I have to check with John S about just what specs I should ask for when placing my order.

So the short version is that I hope to have the Amp Booth complete top to bottom by the end of November, and be mostly insulated and partially drywalled in many parts of the studio proper. CR constriuction and ceiling - 'roof' construction will begin early December.

I just got a look at my expenses to date... OUCH! Glad I am doing a bunch of the labor and bought the materials when the market was a bit lower.

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 5 ---

Today the Builidng inspector came around and signed off on all my framing to date so I can close in 75% of the studio walls built to date. Spent the day working on the Amp Booth - Sealing light/sound leaks, insulating the rest of the walls, sheetrocking the front wall - first layer and insulating the Ramp wall. I had a helper today so we moved a bunch of materials out of my space to an empty space... so we can move around much easier.

Tomorrow I'll finish insulating the Amp Booth ceiling and putting 2mil plastic over all the walls/ceiling. Still have to install the 5/8" rock over the roof decking. The pace of work has sped up exponentially and I've only so many hours in the day I can work... sometime 8-10, sometimes 20... LOL.

When my helper kept asking me a question, I kept telling him I couldn't hear him... I guess that's a good sign when you are building a recording studio!

Cheers to all...

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 9 ---

Spent the last couple of days ordering the last of my kit for the studio minus the CR monitoring system.

Thursday/Friday and later this morning, I'll have finished the drywall in the Amp Booth, insulated the adjoining wall of the Drum Booth so the carpenter/glazier can fit out the windows and then install the glass. My electrician is coming this morning to install sudio mains power, lighting circuits to the CR wall, HVAC Power feed and lighting fixtures in the mailing area so I can get back to work in an ergonomic way!!!!!!!

Monday/Tuesday will see the Vocal Booth get insulated, the subflooring installed with vapor barrier and the wall th the CR sheetrocked with 2 layers.

Next Weds. the Ash flooring gets installed, My power systems rack arrives along with my Monster Power Conditioners for the 5 studio circuits.

Back to finish the Drum Booth wall framing including the 3 traps John has designed into this room, insulation, 2mil plastic and begin the floating floor system.

Hope every one puts this weekend to good use!

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Nov 13 ---

Promises, Promises... I'll get some pics posted later tonite...

In the meantime, I've been juggling real work (bulk mailings) with answering the phone non-stop all the while up to my eyeballs in Rockwool... Vocal Booth insulated, subfloor system half done; Drum Booth 3 walls twined/insulated and sheetrock going up later on this morning (after some much needed shuteye.)

Somehow I have to get two walls rocked - two layers by Weds. morning when the carpenter comes to finish frame my double window frame between Amp/Drum booths. Ash flooring also being installed in the Amp Booth on Weds. sometime.

I finally got an order placed with Interfacefabrics.com, suppliers of fire rated non-dimensional fabrics. I've chosen Deep Burgundy and Straw, paint color for visible drywall is Ivory Tusk.

Redco Audio is hard at work on my panels/snakes and patchbays/cables.

John S. has been making some changes to the acoustical panels to be hung from the walls. My finish carpenter will be working long hours I think, getting a prototype built (2 actually) and installed in the Amp Booth.

By weeks end, I hope to have the Vocal Booth subfloor installed, plastic on all the walls with insulation; have the entire Drum Booth Framing complete sans ceiling joists/roof deck. John has included 3 traps in the Drum Booth, so I'll be busy making silly little walls at odd angles for the traps. Save that for the weekend!

Also hope to have made a final decison on 5.1 Surround speaker system. Leaning heavily towards Dynaudio Acoustics AIR 20s... I also have Yamaha HS 80s for near fields.

Question: Has anyone on forum had experience with PCIe Expansion Chassis that allow you to have 6-8 additional PCIe slots for a MAC Pro for DSP cards and the like? I am a big fan of UA Audio products and plan to have 3 UAD-1E PCIe DSP cards to power my Extreme Pack of audio plugins. More than likely I'll need more slots down the road, so figured to look into a chassis now. Any thoughts???

If anyone is in the Western MA, CT, VT, southern NH area and wants to wail on your axe (Bass/Guitar) so I can check out the acoustics to date and check for sound leaks, I will gladly buy the beer! Probably sometime in mid-December. PM me if interested.

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

November 23 ---

Vocal Booth floor insulated and ready for subflooring/final Ash flooring.
Amp Booth ready for glass install and doors. Cloth frames will be next along with Acoustic panels... this will not be complete until sometime in January as my finish carpenter is taking 3 weeks to work on another job... Darn it.

Hope to have Vocal Booth doors installed as soon as the ceiling roof deck is installed.

Drywall installers need to rock about half the studio proper, then I have to build all kinds of silly walls at crazy angles... before more rock get applied.

Started layout of the Control Room front wall sole plates and some other plates for the surround speaker enclosures. Need to run EMT conduit in the floor rather than PVC... commercial building code... rats...

How is everyone dealing with the power connections to powered speakers... since you can't hide the receptacle in the void space/soffit?

Have a nice weekend...

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

November 25 ---

It's been a busy few days trying to get loads of stuff accomplished so the framers can come on and do their thing...

Spent 30 hours +/- over the last 2 days insulating the floor of the Vocal booth, laying the subfloor, building the outer Drum Booth wall and epoxy painting the mailing room floor, not to forget layout of the CR glass wall plates and assorted other CR stuff.

My neightbor through the wall (I can't hear them anymore!) are going to build my cloth panels for the Amp Booth and Vocal Booth. Acoustic Panels won't be ready til January sometime I think...

In the meantime, I have all of my kit together in cartons, panels, snakes, patchbays, etc. to be picked up this Friday and soon after I hope to get some tracking going with some folks in the same building. Also working on advertising/promotion in advance of opening.

Still trying to find a program to downsize my photos so they are less than 500kb...

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

November 29 ---

Whooohooo!
Progress at breakneck speed today. HVAC guys showed up at 8 and with three guys (union I presume) hung 25' of 14" x3' x 5' main ducting... more talk than actual labor... seems to be the way things are with some trades...

Anyhow, I hired in a temp for the day and we moved all my mailing tables and equipment into the new mailing space and got everything set up so we'd have some Greatful Dead to stream all day! Then we moved on to some small drywall for the equipment rack enclosure and then framed the Drum Booth inside wall.

Tomorrow morning I'm heading down to Redco Audio in CT to pick up my orders and get the $0.50 tour. Then my temp and I will be back at it with the last of the framing I will be doing and hanging some drywall on the Amp Booth/Live Area wall so I can put the doors into place...No I'm not going to install them... that's for the laser level guys.

Monday I have the HVAC team coming back, the cloth panels in the Amp Booth being fabricated and put into place, installation of the Amp Booth audio panel and with any luck the electricians will be in to run the HVAC power and bend/install my EMT conduit on the floor and into the main CR cable Box under the Console location.

The alarm folks have to come in to run my wires into more conduit and separate the video lines from the monitor/access system control for the console area. Then I can drywall the other side of the Equipment Rack space and install the Winsted rack with some power conditioners, MAC PRO frame and some other stuff. Close off that space with plastic 'door and ceiling' until the CR is completed.

Weds. the framers start and late next week I should have blown in insulation on the South wall roof joists.

It'll be nice to sit back and watch the others busting arse for a change. I have been putting in 12-20 hour days for the past 10 months and I need the rest. Will take lots of pics though...

Have a nice weekend.

Jon
sandledfoot

Post by sandledfoot »

yeah... and about those pics... ;)

sounds like good progress. keep up the info. (with more pics!)

kevin
studio construxcion.... it hurts my brain.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Dec 6 ---

Finally some progress... Vocal Booth ceiling joists installed today... finish tomorrow and move on to the Drum Booth ceiling joists. HVAC team should be done with their work for the time being tomorrow afternoon. Saturday the electrician and I will be laying EMT conduit all over the CR floor from various rooms and reack spaces in the CR to a central junction box under the right wing of the console desk.

Monday the drywallers begin work on the Ramp and then onto the Chill Room, hidden walls of the CR and then the Drum Booth. Once the drywall is complete on the perimeter of the Drum Booth, I can build the Trap walls and install the subflooring in that space.

Weds. the floor installers lay the Vocal booth flooring. The Cloth panel crew will follow right behind them once the 5 speaker boxes have been fabricated for the CR framing crew.

By the end of next week, the Drum Booth should have a ceiling, 2 layers of drywall, glass in the Amp Booth/Drum Booth wall and the cloth panels and audio panel installed in the Amp Booth ready for door installation on the 17th.

Sprinkler gang are going to delay putting roofs on the three rooms with pitched ceilings which is a snag I didn't predict.

Still hoping to have 2-3 rooms complete by year end so I can get some testing done and begin recording some of the local folks in the building. Nice to have guinea pigs in the same building.

Take care,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

12/10 ---

HVAC team is just about done with the ducting install and moving on to the Main trunk lines heading out over the back door out to the space behind me where the condenser unit will reside. The demo crew is almost done, so I hope to have some heat by Christmas. Everyone is working with hats and jackets on at the moment...

Spent Sunday reconfiguring my snake runs in the EMT conduit. 3 rooms complete and working out cable orders given the new layout. Some of my cables came up short since the equipment rack is going to be much taller and sit 18" off the floor above an active storm drain. Now I am gluing down sleepers for the CR a few each day as I don't have enough buckets of joint compound to weight the sleepers while the glue dries overnight. Will be done by weeks end and then work on the sleepers for the Live Room. Thinking about using Cork for the CR floor.Does anyone have experience with this type of flooring? How is it on the feet and knees?

Framers are hard at work on the Drum Booth ceiling joists. Should be done tomorrow or early Weds. Then they'll start framing the CR window walls and the associated speaker fly. Quite the piece of engineering on John S. part... Cantilevered joists hung below a 4" x 16" Glulam beam to hold the weight of Dynaudio AIR 20s... Can't wait to fire them up once the CR is all framed and the ceiling/roof deck installed!

Namaste,

Jon
TomVan

Post by TomVan »

Me thinks the ex-wife might have absconded with the camera :lol:

Way too much cool info without pics. I wanna see :cry:
Peace
Tom