Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Jon,

It's looking great.........

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
jwl

Post by jwl »

looking great, Jon!

I'm tempted to come to Western Mass to check it out... LOL

If you do make it up to Maine let me know, we can hook up for a studio-builder brew or three.... I'm in southern Maine/greater Portland.....
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

July 24 ---

Ah, the sweet smell of fresh cut lumber wafting through the air, the sounds of the hammer and saw, the scratching of the pencil on the square... now if only I could remember to add 6" when cutting headers!

The last two days I've been busy framing the Vocal Booth and today the Drum Booth. Slow going with some erroneous measurements and having to stick build piece by piece since some walls are angled and include windows/doors to boot.

Hoping to complete the East and West walls of the Drum Booth tomorrow then have to wait for some staging to do the front wall which is 14' tall.

I've settled on swinging doors for the Vocal Booth and Drum Booth which are a bit smaller than orginally thought but I can live with that. I cut all the material for all the headers to come so I have the right measurements and can pop them into place lickity split.

I am enjoying the fruits of may labors and the fact that I am saving $80/hour! I definitely need help with lifing walls into place but other than that it's mostly up the ladder... down the ladder... ad infinitum...

Will take some pic tomorrow once the walls are complete and I get some paying work done.

Namaste,
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

August 23 ---

What a difference a month makes. 30 days and I have the Vocal Booth Framed and started drywalling, 1/2 the Drum Booth framed and progessing on that right now. Drywalled the mailing area wall to 12' and need to add the second layer once I have the $$$ for outside labor with a lift. Whihc brings me to my next observation...

When I was an EMT-I back in the 80s we had a saying, "if you don't get to the call alive... you haven't saved anyone." Seem like that saying is a bit prophetic right now. In my efforts to 'do everything myself' due to lack of funds, I have learned the hard way that 'up the ladder, down the ladder = OWY, OWY, OWY.

Today I found out after 3 days in bed with a bad cold that I need surgery on my left knee... same as the right 4 years ago. Couldn't come at a worse time. Nasty divorce, no $$$, no one to chauffer me to the surgery/appointments, etc.

So, I ask for my 100%... Is there anyone in the MA, CT area who would be willing to assist me with drywalling the Vocal Booth and framing the Drum booth in exchange for studio time gratis once the place is complete sometime in '08? Mostly lifting 12' sheets of drywall and then lifting walls into place/plumb/level.

Serious inquiries only please. My space is in Easthampton, MA off I-91.

Thanks a bunch.

Jon
sharward

Post by sharward »

So sorry to hear about that, Jon. :-( I hope everything goes OK for you.

A drywall lifter will be a lifesaver for you and whomever you have assisting you.

4x8 sheets aren't too bad to get onto the lifter by oneself, but the 4x12s definitely will require two people, even with the lifter.

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Keith:

Thanks for the photo of the lifter. For the time being I am only sheetrocking walls on the flat and lifting them into place. Once I start on the Drum Booth the lifter will mandatory. Do the side extensions move out to 12'?

Bet you wish your ladder was a tad bit closer to the wall! I have the same problem.

Trying to keep up the good intention to get something done every day. Will try to get some temp help tomorrow to get the latest wall into place and plumb/level then move back to the Drum Booth rear wall... then back tothe side walls for the Vocal Booth. If/when I can get a lifter I'll roof the Amp Booth with 5/8" sheetrock and 3/4" t/g Advantech. In goes the floor... call the inspectors and wait...

Thanks for your support.

Jon
sharward

Post by sharward »

frostgfx wrote:Do the side extensions move out to 12'?
Yes.

Well, not all the way to 12', but enough to accommodate a 12' sheet. That's what it's designed for.
frostgfx wrote:Bet you wish your ladder was a tad bit closer to the wall! I have the same problem.
Yeah, it was kind of a pain at times, but that's a pretty old photo -- my inner leaf framing is done now. :-)

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

August 27th ---

PROGRESS!!!

Finally buckled down, turned anal and cleaned my space, organized every piece of lumber of all sizes (proved very useful today) and took inventory of projects to work on going forward.

The Drum Booth is waiting for help to erect the West wall along with the North wall of the Vocal booth. I've cut all the lumber for the Wall in front of the Amp Booth for framing once the Drum Booth walls are erect. Next will be the front wall of the Drum Booth, then the wall in front of the Drum Booth.

Would really like to get the electrical inspector back in so I can insulate and close in the Chill Area and Ramp down to the Control Room area. That would be real progress!

My knee is still a bother and need to have surgery --- in the mean time got a steriod injection to hold me over.

Will have some pics later this week once the walls are erected and I have some space to frame shots.

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

October 7 ---

After many weeks away from the studio build due to divorce, health issues and lack of funds/energy... I am back at work on Meow Mix.

Today I finally finished framing the Vocal Booth walls and caulking the North and West walls and the corner joints of the framing. Tomorrow, I 'll start rocking the South and East walls.

In the intervening weeks, my framer has gotten so busy he can't come back til '08... so I am looking for another framer that has specific skills necessary for the Control Room framing. If anybody has suggestions for contractors in MA or Northern CT, Southern VT. I'd appreciate any contacts.

MY HVAC contractor should be here in Early November to run ducting, and water lines for the HVAC systems. It will be nice to at least have some fresh air circulating in the space... since I can't put in the main unit until the building owner demos the space behind me... and that's a 'cash flow issue'... yada yada yada...

Once I get caught up on bills and such, I will have the electricians back for more rough-in work, inspections for the Building and Electrical systems and a visit from my architect to check on work to date. Once those are complete, I can finish the Amp Booth, insulate and rock all the Ramp and Chill Room walls, 3/4 of the Drum Booth, the Vocal Booth and get started on the perimeter 2x6 walls of the Live Area.
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

frostgfx wrote:October 7 ---

After many weeks away from the studio build due to divorce, health issues and lack of funds/energy... I am back at work on Meow Mix.

Today I finally finished framing the Vocal Booth walls and caulking the North and West walls and the corner joints of the framing. Tomorrow, I 'll start rocking the South and East walls.

In the intervening weeks, my framer has gotten so busy he can't come back til '08... so I am looking for another framer that has specific skills necessary for the Control Room framing. If anybody has suggestions for contractors in MA or Northern CT, Southern VT. I'd appreciate any contacts.

MY HVAC contractor should be here in Early November to run ducting, and water lines for the HVAC systems. It will be nice to at least have some fresh air circulating in the space... since I can't put in the main unit until the building owner demos the space behind me... and that's a 'cash flow issue'... yada yada yada...

Once I get caught up on bills and such, I will have the electricians back for more rough-in work, inspections for the Building and Electrical systems and a visit from my architect to check on work to date. Once those are complete, I can finish the Amp Booth, insulate and rock all the Ramp and Chill Room walls, 3/4 of the Drum Booth, the Vocal Booth and get started on the perimeter 2x6 walls of the Live Area.
Jon,

nice to see things getting back on track for you - congrats.

Rod
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

October 24 ---

Last two weeks have seen real progress.
Vocal Booth is all framed and almost finished with drywall.
Drum Booth is 3 out of 4 walls framed;
Control Room Perimeter walls are framed

Mailing area is drywalled and painted (Mellow Yellow) and the acoustic ceiling guys come next week to install the grid and then the electrician comes to hook up the lights... He'll also be roughing in the receptacles for the Vocal Booth, Drum Booth and a couple of other areas. Once the electrician is finished with his stuff, the Electrical and Building Inspectors come to check on things to date. If all goes well, I'll be insulating and sheetrocking a bunch of walls not related to the Studio rooms proper. THe ceiling guys will come back to install the acoustic ceiling in the Ramp and Chill Room areas.

Tomorrow I meet with my attorney to finalize my divorce... after 16 grueling months including 5 days in the looney bin... The upside is that I can afford to get the studio rolling and hope to have the framing completed by year end with most sheetrocking and flooring installed.

November and December will be completing the framing and rough wiring and sheetrocking all over the place. I do what I can, and bring in the experts to complete the job ready for painting.

January/February will be running wiring snakes to Patchbays and the Spire Rack for outboard equipment. Once the conduits have been run in the floor, the Live Area floor will be constructed

March should see painting and finish trim installation.

Shooting for April 1, 2008 Grand Opening, though I hope to have some lucky souls come by to put the systems through their paces... hint hint...

Here are some pic of progress from Sept and Oct. to date.

First shot is of the East side of the Vocal Booth showing the two walls between the VB and CR.

Second shot is of Perimeter walls of the CR which will be insulated with rockwool and one layer of 5/8" Firecheck drywall. There are other walls in front that will contain the 5.1 surround speakers and the couch area with a large diffuser in the corner.

The interesting thing is that the ceiling joists are cantilevered over a beam for the L C R dpeakers to be soffit mounted and angled down to the sweet spot at the console (Yamaha DM2000). There will be a double wall system with glass. The whole front wall system is built of 2x6s.

Third shot is of Drum Booth framing of three walls with twine to hold two layers of Rockwool from falling out the back of the wall. The whole Drum Booth gets 2 layers of Firecheck 5.8" and two layers of Rockwool.

Fourth shot is of Vocal Booth rough framing and sealing of the 'inside out' sheetrock walls.

Fifth shot is of another angle of the Drum Booth framing and the window area of the Amp Booth/Drum Booth. Those are LVL beams for the CR and the Live Area support... each about 400# a piece!

Sixth Shot is of the Mailing area sheetrocking - 1st layer. I had a company come in to finish the first layer and add the second layer to the Studio Joining wall. Today I painted the walls Mellow Yellow...

Seventh and eighth shots are of the paint job and the drywall crew finishing the second layer of 5/8" Firecheck.

Namaste,

Jon
Last edited by frostgfx on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

More Pics from the last week...
Ro

Post by Ro »

GREAT.... no, really a bit TOO great :)
could you please resize them big ones to max 700pix wide? thanx

thanx for sharing!
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

October 26, 2007 ---

What a difference a couple of days can make...
Yesterday I got divorced! Got to finally move a bunch of my stuff from the old house (after 15 months held hostage) into my apartment and the studio space.

Today, I and my helper Dennis, spent the whole day clearing out a bunch of stuff for my mailing section... into an empty space outside my space... (extra rent for a month)... Cleaned, vacuumed, organized again, piles of wood and plywood. Left the drywall piles for Monday when the ceiling installers come.
Started construction on the perimeter Wall for the Amp booth and got the Vocal booth inner wall taped and mudded for the second layer of rock to go up tomorrow morning. The electricians are coming if it is still raining to rough in a bunch of stuff, so I can get my inspections and move on the insulating and drywalling of the Ramp area, Chill Room, Vocal Booth... Drum booth to come in a couple of weeks.

I hope to be able to install the ceiling (5/8" Firecheck/3/4" Advantech to the Amp Booth and install the floor vapor barrier, underlayment and call the installer for the Ash flooring. Then the only thing left are the cloth panels and the double swinging doors.

Monday The HVAC guy comes at 10am to check out my progress and have his sheetmetal guy get to work on the main ducting and whatever else he can get hung before ceilings go in...

Also on Monday my Pella Rep comes to check my ROs and place my order for all the sliders and swing doors. 4 week lead time on those. Just about right for all the walls/ceilings to be complete for door installation in some of the rooms.

Redco Audio is providing my audio snakes/cabling/patchbays & patch cords, so have to finalize the snakes for the Vocal Booth, Drum Booth and Live Area panels.

I am still stymied about a Custom console for my DM 2000 mixing consoles and Rack/Patchbay layout. I have looked at Argosy, Custom Design, and a fellow from FL.

Here is my concern... The Front window wall is a three panel affair which comes out to about 11' width from left edge to right edge. I am flying my 5.1 LCR Mains above the glass. I will have about 18" from the glass to the colsole rear for acces to cabling and such, a console depth of about 50"; my chair or two and behind that is an Argosy Spire 9144 4 Bay 56sp outboard rack. Behind that is an area for a couch that sits 8" higher than level floor.

Ideally, I'd like to DM2000 to be in the middle of the console with 19" racks (6sp. high horizontal) and 10 to 12sp vertical mounting rack space and some small 'producer's space on either side with a keyboard/mouse shelf slide under the center. I have 2 24" flat panel displays to sit on the top shelf of the console along with Yamaha HS80 Nearfields. The Right Side Vertical Rack space would be for Patchbays (5-6 2 Space EDAC connection patchbays. Not certain what will go on the left rack space as yet.

It would be nice to angle the console to match the angle of the inner window wall and sit about 18-24" from the window wall for access to cabling and such. Would prefer a steel/hardwood design rather than melamine or crappier stuff with a veneer over it. I am a fan or Mission Oak...

Does anyone have suggestions for sources of custom console design? Peferably close to Western MA.

Will have some constuction pics on Tuesday after a ton of work gets completed and I can call the inspectors to come later in the week.!

Hope everyone in studio build land has a productive weekend... Go Red Sox!

Namaste,

Jon
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Jon,

congrats - I know it's been a long time coming.

Now you can put it behind you and get on with a better life...........

Sincerely,

Rod