Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

frostgfx wrote: Issue of the Week: Does anyone have experience with isolating an exhaust fan (Large/Heavy/Noisy)? The restaurant above and adjacent to the Northwest corner of my space is creating 30dB increase in lower frequency noise infiltration. I assume it is vibrating the whole roof structure. Wondering if there is a reasonable solution to creat greater vibration control? Any ideas? Bueller? Bueller?
Jon,

everything depends on the fan itself - weight - as well as frequency........

The solutions availible are quite wide depending on the need.........

Mason Industries is one source......

For examples:

http://209.200.80.33/html/spring_mounts_bulletin.htm

http://209.200.80.33/html/mas_data_sheet.htm

http://209.200.80.33/html/114_datasheet_ds21w.htm

http://209.200.80.33/html/slf2_data_sheet.htm

Anway - I'm sure you get the idea - so first gather all of the physical data about the fan itself- and then after putting that together - you can take some pictures of the assembly- and contact Mason Industries direct - they will be hapy to guide you to the right product for your application.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Rod:

Thanks for the info on Mason Ind. Will get some photos next week and try to determine the weight of the unit and it's current mounting.

John has the final Flat plan worked out except for moving a door 18"...
By months end, I should have plans to put out to bid!!!!

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

March 14th ---

Finally reached the end of Demolition... Now the pros come in to remove old steam pipes which weigh something like 100#/ft... and the asbestos guys have to come back to finish where they hastily stopped on Friday last.

The masons will then come back to finish blocking my walls and doorway
frames.

concrete fill the old drains...

Just to give folks some idea of costs to date;

$5,000 for first, last security and 6 months reduced rent during renovations;

$18,500 for solid block walls on South Wall door' East Wall two areas; Window bays on North wall and 3 old duct holes on North wall; 29' x 15.6' West wall; fill in misc holes around all walls from demo'd pipes and such;

$4,600 for 6' and 3' Entrance & Egress door systems prepped for alarm/access system;

$6,000 for redesign, removal of all heads and installation of new upward facing sprinkler heads and downward sprinkler pendants to finish flush with new ceilings. Removal of Sprinkler Test Valves to new location out of my space; relocation of main 4" waste line from Apollo Grill to the other side of East wall...;

$4,400 for Alarm/Access/Camera systems;

$2,800 for Electrical 100A service panel install and demo of old electrical/lighting systems; Installation of outlets for mailing area lighting, mailing machinery circuits and inserter circuit - 20A 220v;

$1,000 for new 14' custom work platform for mailing machines;

$225 concrete cutting/rock hammer demo of 2' width from rear ramp;

$500 misc tools for demo; ladder and rock hammer rentals ;

$1,000 in Dumpster fees for demo'd materials... not much left to dump until new construction starts.......................

I don't want to know at this moment what the total is... so you can do the math yourselves...I know it's something like $43,000 to date....OUCH.

But you know what, I've had good luck with weather, contractors, no disasters (to date) and only great energy and positive intentions guiding me to the place I am today.

John S. is working hard on the final flat plans, and by months end, I should have plans to put out to bid... I'm making my list, checking it three times, and trying to come up with specs, wall by wall for the framing, rocking/insulation, etc.

Rod G. said he'd come back up to check the plans from John S. for code and ADA compliance, and meet with prospective contractors so they know exactly what I am expecting of them in the build process. I will help where I can, however, I have neither the time or experience with anything other than audio/video/MM wiring and systems integration.

I'll post pics and the final flat plan from John S. when I get back from NJ... My friends house burned down and I'm trying to lend her some support and ideas about getting her and her kids lives back in order.

Have a great week, enjoy the summer like weather...

Namaste,

Jon
Last edited by frostgfx on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

WOW!
It's been awhile since I posted on the progress at Meow Mix...

John S has been hard at work on the final changes to the design and here is the jpeg of the final plan, save for a door moved in the 'flop room'...

Each room is independent and the floors will be either cork or hardwood.
I really enjoy the sight lines and the ingenious storage John incorporated into the CR walls. No wasted space in this CR!

This coming week the last of the steam/water pipes will be demo'd, the East and West walls will be completed and the doors/alarm system sealed and activated.

Now I have to come up with another 10K for the North wall demo and block wall construction. Final building plans should be ready by months end to send to the Building Department for permitting, as well as to Rod Gervais for code/ADA compliance. The building owner wants to have his architect go over them as well...

With lots of luck and positive intentions, the studio construction should begin sometime in May!

Enjoy the Spring weather and everyone get to building!!!!

Namaste,

Jon Frost
Last edited by frostgfx on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha Jon,

Congrats on your progress, it's looking really good!

Looking forward to your build diary pics. :wink:

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Great progress! Exciting! :mrgreen:

I can only imagine the stress!

Hey, I'm sorry I missed your post from a coyple of weeks ago... What was the cause of the fire at your friend's house, Was anyone hurt (physically)?

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Thanks for asking... Yes, there is way too much stress... that's why I am happily following my doctors advice... "Better living through chemistry". By the end of this week, I will be out of money for the time being. The final plans, permitting & bidding process will take a few weeks. I want to find a GC who has previous studio build experience (and can prove it) and bid the job competitively. I am OK to help with smaller projects like the insulation and twining, humping in sand and supplies when needed, going for pizza, etc.

There is some serious time involved in the CR build with all the compound angle cuts, etc. All the walls will be built first, then the floor of each room has to be leveled with a laser and laid due to the uneven concrete floor and the fact that it was previously used for chemical storage, so ther are angled floors for drainage... Nothing to serious... the greatest change is 2" in the back corner of the drum booth and where the computers are stored in the rear right corner of the CR. There will be a steel beam at the front of the CR which will "fly' the monitors and hold the weight of the CR ceiling and for the live room. Remember that there has to be enough support above the studio structure for a man to crawl around to service the fire sprinklers in the void space above... It's the code around here... so more $$$.

I am comtemplating that building costs are going to run around $200-225/sq. ft.

About the fire in NJ. Everyone was out when it happened... Seems a memorial candle was lit, put out and reignited sometime after the owner had left... Might be able to rebuild from the frist floor walls up>>> Maybe.

I'll upload some pix after Weds. when the masons come to finish the east and west block walls.

Aloha and Namaste,

Jon
Last edited by frostgfx on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

frostgfx wrote: Once that is complete, the plans should be ready to send to the Building Department for their OK as well as to Rod Gervais for code/ADA compliance.
Jon,

get me floor plans sooner rather than later - there are some accessibility issue I can alread see - and you're better off making everythig right before the building dept gets them.

Nothing really serious - place looks beautiful - but some American specific oddities........ no where else in the world..................

Sincerely,

Rod
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Here are some pics from the pipe cutting that took place today and will finish tomorrow morning... love the sparks...
The first shot is cutting a pipe that was filled with Pine Sol type cleaner in it... Stinks to high heaven!

The white pipes I cut myself a couple of weeks ago with a Sears Saws All... Need to remember to buy METAL blades! Oops.

The crew doing the pipe cutting was a blast to watch and work with... They are working all over the building demoing old conveyors and such... so this was an easy day for them.

Tomorrow, the Asbestos guy comes back (for the thrid time) to take off 6" he forgot about last time... yeah right... can you say $$$. No suits, no masks, etc... I guess OSHA might be interested in pics if I had any...

The mason will finish up the block walls and then the alarm guys come to activate the system.

By weeks end, I should be able to get my shop set up to process mailings --- and make some $$$ to pay for all this mess.

Next job is filling in the three window bays with solid block... another $7,400.00 OUUCH!

I'll bring down my drum kit and some recording gear... to test out the 'before' acoustics... and see if I can piss off my neighbors... LOL.

The Fire department and the building inspector were through my space and the rest of the basement dwellers areas today for their annual inspecition. Passed with flying colors and have to obtain an occupancy permit for $40 and my d/b/a certificate at the clerk's office next week. Then I am all set for finishing the studio plans and getting permits.

The building inspector also told me that I only need one entrance to the space that is ADA compliant, so that will be the double door into the mailing space and then a single heavier door into the studio, so I can keep the ramp as is... Yee haaa...

Jon
Last edited by frostgfx on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

More Photos of the pipe cutting
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

nice.....................
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

here's a walkthrough of the design for you all to view. The wall treatments aren't finalised yet as we are still working on the general layout, ceiling heights etc.

http://johnlsayers.com/Stuff/meow_mix.wmv

cheers
john
Last edited by John Sayers on Fri May 16, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomVan

Post by TomVan »

Ok all I can say is WOW. The walk through was great.
John well done.
I need one of those for my site. better and more comprehensive than a video. All the ins and outs
Tom
Ro

Post by Ro »

(since when's this thread sticky?)
sharward

Post by sharward »

(Not sure... Must've been done by mistake somehow. I fixed it.)

Awesome pictures!!!!! :twisted:

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006