Meow Mix - Commercial Space Conversion in W MA

Discuss the studios designed by John Sayers productions

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

camistan

Post by camistan »

It's REALLY amazing how technology is so available and can be "filtered" into so many areas, including Studio Design! That was r-e-a-l nice John.

I'm just curious though...
How long did it take to put that together?
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

John Sayers wrote:here's a walkthrough of the design for you all to view. The wall treatments aren't finalised yet as we are still working on the general layout, ceiling heights etc.

http://johnlsayers.com/Stuff/MeowMix.wmv

cheers
john
John,

that is absolutely magnificent........... nothing shy of a beautiful studio,

my hat is off to you sir..............

Sincerely,

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
sharward

Post by sharward »

Genius! 8) :twisted: :D

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

camistan wrote:It's REALLY amazing how technology is so available and can be "filtered" into so many areas, including Studio Design! That was r-e-a-l nice John.

I'm just curious though...
How long did it take to put that together?
camistan - I have the Pro6 version of Sketchup - The paid for version. ;)

It has the added option of creating a video of the page sequences. YOu can determine how many seconds between each page and whether to pause at each page etc. There are a variety of different codecs for generating the video. I just made it a small file for web posting but I could have made it full size, 24fps ending up with a 100meg+ AVI file.

Thanks guys for you kind comments. Jon really has a great building for a studio, plenty of ceiling height and only one damn pole to get around. The additional space in the building is for Jons current business but eventually he can expand the main studio and incorporate that space as well.

Having Rod available with his vast experience is also a great bonus for me and for Jon. This is a serious studio guys :)

cheers
john
Eric_Desart

Post by Eric_Desart »

John,

This is an impressive presentation of a very nice studio.
Congratulations.

And for whatever part Rod is involved in it, congratulations as well

My utmost respect for this.
Best regards - Eric Desart
My posts are never meant to sell whatever incl. myself, neither direct, nor indirect.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

April 5th...

Hi again... Jon with an update on Meow Mix...

Asbestos is all gone...

East and West block walls are complete and will be painted next week by your're truly. One coat of Masonry Primer - Gray; final coat to be determined. The double entrance doors to the mailing area will have logos for the mailing business and Meow Mix Studio on each door. The background color will be some sort Red or Yellow as a background color for the logos. The door alone will be lit by a theatrical fresnel fixture on a motion detector that only lights when someone comes up the ramp to my space. I want have a 'back alley' effect. since the entrance area is dark to begin with.

Inside the block walls will just be painted battleship gray 2 coats. Then I'll go around the shell caulking every stinking crack, bolt hole, pipe opening, etc. to tighten the place up for sound/air intrusion (heat loss).

I need to get my mailing setup running like a top in the next week, so painting will take place next week...

If I can free up the cash, I want to complete the shell by blocking in the 3 window bays... and insulating/sheetrocking the ceiling area above the drum room/Iso room and the back door. Frame in the closet/shelving along the ramp after I demo 2' from the right side this weekend.

At this point, I'll build a stage platform and open the place up for rehearsal space while the planning/permitting/bidding process continues. My divorce is not going to be over as quickly as first thought, so I'm strapped for cash unless I can get the court to free up my own money...

More pics next week.

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

April 10th...

More photos of the end of demolition, etc.

Photo of last pipe being demo'd from the ceiling by the West wall;

Shot of ramp demo by yours truly last weekend (20 hours) with an electric rock hammer... Can you say, Advil? Solid portland cement over 100 years old! 2' wide and 14' back . up to 13" thick... Need to true up the edge and level the base so a wall can be placed here up to the ceiling joists. I'll leave that up to the masons... and their levels.

Shot of the West block wallcompleted, sans pipes, wires, asbestos, etc. Notice how uncluttered the space looks without all the mess hanging from the ceiling... Now there's only new sprinkler heads...

Shot of the finished egress door on the south wall complete with fire extinguisher and alarm system. I insulated both the entrance and egress doors with fiberglas and a putty knife... Next photo is of the required Horn/Strobe Light which is connected to the whole building fire alarm system. There will be a total of 4 in the space, due to the high sound levels... The Strobe is louder than a Marshall Stack on 11!.

My palms are getting all sweaty in anticipation of the smell of freshly cut lumber and the itch of newly placed insulation... so in the meantime, I can 'bang on my drums all day...' --- until I have more cash to throw at the contractors, inspectors, etc. I will build a platform with carpet on top for the drum kit to sit on... for those percussionist freaking about the kick drum sitting on a concrete floor.... done by next week I'm told.

It's been a blast to this point, and there will be more news by months end...

Rock on...

Jon 8) 8)
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

April 13th ---

Here's some photos of the last bits of work I've done until more $$$ arrives.

I spent this morning walking around the space knocking off old bolts, a few last hangers and misc bumps/trip hazards on the floor. Around Noon, the UPS man arrived with the contents of the last two photos... 10 new Atlas mic/boom stands and a pair of TLM 103s, pair of AKG C451s and a Radial J48 DI.

So anyhow, I spent this week cleaning up from demoing the ramp for a future wall, the alarm system was completed... I found out I can't have a smoke detector until the contruction is complete because the dust will set off the alarm and the building manager has been working to improve the false alarm record with the FD.

Once things were cleaned up ( 4 hours of vacuuming), I wire brushed the new concrete walls and sealed them each with two coats of Benjamin Moore Block Sealer. I tinted the outside entrace wall with 40z/Gal. of Black, which resulted in the charcoal gray color you see. The entrance door and frame will be painted Maroon and the two logos will adorn the doors someday soon I hope. There will be a theatrical light with barndoors to light just the doorway and it will be trriggered by a motion sensor, so it only lights when someone comes near the door... Way cool I think.

The egress door on the ramp at the rear is now completely sealed, caulked and insulated as is the entrance doorway.

FUTURE PLANS

1) Block up the three window bays with solid block & Seal.

2) Build the dividing wall which is roughly 29' wide x 14'6" to the floor above. 2 x 6s - 16" oc with two layers of firerock only on the Mailing Business side of the wall. Insulated. Painted the same Maroon as the entrance door.

I have to leave a 2' x 3' access port in the wall (above the acoustic ceiling grid) to allow for man access to the upward facing sprinkler heads and a wire pull point for the building freight elevator. Killing two birds with one stone I think...

3) Build stud wall along the North wall west of the dividing wall and insulate/sheetrock.

4) Install an acoustic ceiling grid with 2' x 4' panels at 10' 6" height with (7) fluorescent lights for the mailing area/mechanical room.

5) Sand and seal the concrete floor. Paint Battleship Gray prior to sealing. I am considering installing Cork flooring around the working areas where I have to stand for long periods of time in place of the rubber mats I use now... Any thoughts? Bueller? Bueller?

6) Move current outlets on North wall to the new stud wall. Install others as needed into dividing wall.

7) Get all my mailing equipment permanently placed and ready for ops the way I used to have them in my basement at home!!!!

8) Market the crap out of my mailing business in the new location to drum up more customers to pay for the rest of the studio build.

Thanks to everyone who has cheered me on to this point. I'll keep you posted when the studio build gets moving in earnest sometime later this Summer. John Sayers is churning out the plans as I write and with any luck at all, I should have a building permit by June.

Namaste, love and light,

Jon Frost
Last edited by frostgfx on Sun May 06, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

April 23 ---

Floor plan is almost finalized... off to the Architect for final review before I go for my building permit...

I stopped into the local building department and found out that the new inspector is a real stickler and wants a permit pulled for any and everything (except a swing set... not over 10' wide!)

So increased costs to block in the 3 window bays... more delay in completing the mailing part of the space so I can work efficiently in a mostly dust-free environment.

I did chalk out most of the walls to get a sense of the space when built... and It's way cool! Intimate, yet spacious enough for a string section... The CR is pretty big as well, though once all the treatments are up I know it will close in somewhat.

The JBL 6328 speakers are going to be flown above the viewing glass and angled down to the mix position. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this is going to work and the fun part will be specifying the column and posts to carry the weight of the Speakers, CR ceiling and the live room ceiling! Don't forget the live load of the mystery sprinkler inspector...

It is hard not to want to grab some sole plate lumber and anchors and get to building... but alas, if you start construction before you have a permit in hand, you're screwed...

The drum room has a 13' ceiling; the small ISO booth is about 10' along with the Large ISO and the live area... The CR ceiling is a 'shed' style ceiling. about 11' at the highest point. All the ceilings will have 3/4" plywood above so a man can crawl around once every 5 years to inspect the sprinklers... or maybe I could rent out the space for cellar dwellers... LOL

I'm in need of resources in MA area for sliding glass doors (doubled up) with a high sound rating and seals, similar to those used in high rise buildings, anywhere from 6' -8' wide x 7'; also double french style doors 7' - 8' wide x 7' (doubled up) similar to John's OASIS studios design. I'm not having much luck in my search, so hopefully someone out there has some sources, local or otherwise.

Take care and enjoy the warmer weather...

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

May 4 ---

Gretings earthlings,

It's another sunny albeit chilly day and things are moving ever closer toward the stick of lumber being anchored into the cement floor...

... actually only after I get my building permit, Demo the 3 wndows, block in the first window and order the materials for the first walls to go up. Did I forge tto mention I need to hire a contractor to assist me?

Anyhow, I've spec'd out my doors, and a bunch of other items for the build out and am anxioulsy awaiting confirmation from my architect that the floor plans are ready to go over to the building department.

I got a lead on a used Yamaha DM2000 console and will pick that up next week sometime... about the same time I'll be ordering my new MAC G5 computer and PT HD system including Master Clock, Sync, Clock DA, some Plug Ins for PT and the cabling to frun from the AES Outs (24) on the DM 2000 to the Digital I/Os for PT.

Progress will have to be in stages since my divorce is dragging out probably until early '08 at this point... STBO!

Everyone enjoy the weather and get out there with your hammers and saws... It's building season don't cha know.

Jon Frost
the chemist

Post by the chemist »

http://www.odysseyprosound.com/DMXR100-SB.html

Instead of the DM-2000, pick up this Sony DMX-R100, with Argosy Console for $9000.
Politicians are like diapers; they chould be changed often, and for the same reasons.
Elfs1der

Post by Elfs1der »

Sorry to hear about the divorce, think about the positive side, you will have a new studio to love ;)

Looking forward to updates!
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

May 9th ---

Spent the last two days painting the storage area and prepping space for the masons/demo guys to take out the three windows and then promptly block them up again so I can start framing walls!

Yamaha DM2000 console arrived today from Boston... NICE..... I ordered a custom console for it to fit into with a 3' producer's desk on the left, the DM2000, 19" RU/desk space and then a 32" deep x 48" space for the 30" monitor to rest along with keyboard mouse combo and misc papers & such that need a place during tracking/mixdown. Should arrive in about 6 weeks from FL. $2,100.00 versus $5k from Argosy...

Next task after alimony hearing tomorrow is to clean the 200 year old floor in prep for filling/painting over the weekend when no one is around.... fumes don't you know.

Then the lumber should start arriving along with my building permit sometime about June 1 I hope.

Take care.

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

May 16 ---

The last week has been a whirlwind of progress on the space front, and a deep black hole on the divorce front... but I digress...

Last Weds. I took possession of a Yamaha DM2000 console;

Thursday, I got creamed in court with my ex.... Ouch!

Monday I ordered my new MAC Pro 8 Core, etc... computer system and picked up a pair of Audix D6s for a nice savings...

I also spent the day ordering block for the window walls and lumber for the dividing wall. Both arrived yesterday and today respective.

Tuesday I spent the day trying to find an ADAT interface for PCIe bus and settled on the MOTO 2408 MKIII interface... which will arrive Friday, hopefully along with the MAC.

Only slept 3 hours last night and spent the whole day between degreasing 600 sq ft of concrete floor and shp vacuuming up black sludge... then my lumber order arrived and I spent the better part of 2 hours schlepping 2 x6s, etc. onto a cart and moving it to my space and stacking like a mini lumber yard for the framers to start work in a week or so.

Much to my surprise, the Demo guys showed up at 5pm to take out one of the old window sashes --- 8' x 12' with a sawsall and a long pipe to break the panes of glass. I only wish I had a mic to sample the sound of the glass showering down on the concrete floor!

Friday I meet with the architect to tidy up my plans to go over Monday AM to start the permitting process. With some luck and some $$$ I should have blocks a laying, and studs a sawing by 5/25 or so... Will post some recent pix when I have more time.

Namaste,

Jon
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Jon,

congrats on everything except the creamed in court thing.......

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........