jwl

Post by jwl »

congrats, Jon!
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Jan 30---

As promised here are some shots from last week and today... Lots of progress since last Thursday. Nice to have people who know what they are doing... doing the work.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Here are a few more shots...

Drum Booth Corner Trap wall with Super Chunk on the Bottm... 4" 703 fiberglas glued to the walls and Hanging 2" 703 doubled up on homosote... to be installed shorly.

Back corner of the CR showing couch riser, and knee wall which will have super chunk in the bottom and diffuser wall behind with hangin 703 on homosote to the ceiling joists.

Insulation of the Vocal Booth

Have a nice day,
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 10 ---

Friday we finished installing the Live Room ceiling/roof. Insulated the Drum Booth and finished the closet doors in the Ramp area. At the end of the day we fired up the HVAC system... nice... but no heat. The coil is air locked until Monday when I can get a key for the bloody draincock cover. Surprises around every corner.

Today I hung the can lights for the Live Room, prime painted the Ramp and Chill Rooms and the Vocal Booth wall adjoining the CR. My what a coat of paint will do!

The electricians we busy giving my Studio power, llights and outlets/switches for the 5.1 monitoring system. Tomorrow I will be prime painting the Drum Booth walls, finish insulating the Vocal Booth ceiling and installing 2 mil plastic on the ceiling. Then I'll be working on some wiring harnesses for the Console Rack equipment.

Monday the framers will finish up with loose ends and we'll start hanging the front 3 speaker boxes. That's going to be interesting so will have my camera at the ready!!! Once the speakers are hung, I can install the last 9 can lights in the CR behind my seat and over the console desk. After that I'll be insualating/2 mil plastic on the ceiling once the electrician's finish rough wiring.

Got a nasty surprise about the costs of finish carpentry and building cloth panels/acoustic panels, etc. Seems that the cost of templating/building the cloth frames is wicked expensive along with my Acoustic Panels costing almost $1,400 ea. Going to put the work out to bid with some other finish carpenters in my area. Perhaps that will bring down the price with my neighbors who are currently doing the work for the Amp Booth, Vocal Booth and the CR. All you have to do is use the word 'custom' and the price skyrockets!

Will have a bunch of pics once the speakers are hung and more painting is finished. Things are really moving along fast, though I am going to have to do a bunch of the labor to save $$$ to get things finished.

Take care, work safe, and remember to take time off from your build now and then to gain perspective on all that you have accomplished...

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 14 --- Happy Valentine's Day!

The last two days have been hellish! Still no heat in the space after repeated visits by the installers, bleeding any residual air from the HW coil pipes, and confirming that the HVAC system Economizer dampers are working properly. Come to find out that the 'hot' water in the building is only 115 degrees... rather than the usual 160-180 degrees. Now I am caught in the middle of a pissing match between the system installers and the building management about who is responsible for what. All I want is to have 68-70 degrees in my studio so the paint will dry... I don't imagine many people will want to record with jackets & hats on...

This morning I came in to find that all the snow/rain we had overnight had clogged a drain outside my space and water was coming in and down the ramp at the back of my space. Called the insurance agency and was almost immediately told that this probably wasn't covered... WTF?

Spent the whole day stemming the tide and dealing with the pissing match over the lack of heat.

Finally got some dinner and got down to soldering some cables for the outboard racks and painted the Ramp/Chill Room areas along with the Amp Booth front wall and the Vocal Booth/CR wall. It's now almost 2am on Valentine's Day and I have to be back at work at 6:30...

Signing off...

Namaste,

Jon
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 15 ---

Today was a monumentus day for Meow Mix... The Ramp/Chill Room got its ceiling installed! The speaker boxes are all hung and the CR walls are set with drywall ready for painting.

On the downside though, I still don't have heat and the building owner and my HVAC contractor are at odd about who is responsible for my not having heat. Has anyone ever heard of a heating system that works on 100 degree water temp? It's 54-57 degrees in the space, so I don't expect anyone will want to bring in their drum kits, guitars, etc... and record with a winter jacket and gloves on...

Anyhow, I digress... I am just trying to breathe through each day at this point, knowing that the end is in sight, I had a couple of guys in last night and recorded their psychadelic musings... Now I have a 'house band'. I play a mean kick drum when prompted!

Here are a few pics of the speaker fly. Back at it in the morning to finish painting the drum booth and my Acoustic Panels for the Amp Booth.

Namaste,

Jon
camistan

Post by camistan »

Hey Jon

You're progressing right along and things look GREAT! Congrats on the progress and what looks like will be a top-designed studio.

I had a question for you...
It looks as if your speakers are angled downward towards the mixing position. I was wondering if you did it that way because of...

-The size of your control room
-The size of your speakers
-Something else?

How was the downward sloping angle of the speakers calculated? Was there a rule of thumb to doing that? I was thinking about slightly angling my speakers in a downward sloping manner but conventional wisdom on here is to have the speakers flat (90 degrees) with no downward sloping angles and the equilateral triangle sweet spot slightly behind your head.

BTW-Those constuction pics of the angled speakers are worth their weight in gold! Thanx for posting them... :)
Thanx
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes - Jon is doing a marvelous job of his studio - those speakers mounts were very complex and he's done a wonderful job.

The speakers are literally suspended over the glass window which allows full view into the studio.

The speakers are angled because they would be aimed over the head of the engineer otherwise as their base is over 6' from the floor. They lean forward so they are directed to the engineer's seated position.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

Brilliant work John! (and Jon!)
Glenn
Drumdrumdrumdrum

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum »

Hi,

Just read thru the whole post.

You had to do some serious demo'ing before you even got stater......and that was just with your marrage!

I noticed on the post calling your ex a bitch that you did not end with Namaste. :lol:

Your project is an inspiration. It's also great to see what John S has done with the space. He lives here in my town and I'll be using him for my studio design and build.

Can you tell me why you decided to lease and not buy?

Thanks
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 17 ---

Thanks for the comments about the speaker fly. That had me tossing and turning late at night in recent weeks. How was this going to be engineered? It turned out quite nicely thanks to John's design and Tim my lead framer's tireless pursuit of perfection...

Yesterday, I received the redesigned steel base for my equipment rack to hold power conditioners, Sync, Converters, MAC Pro, UAD 1e card rack, networking and other goodies that don't need to be readily accessible. The Card Rack is quite loud actually... As you may (or may not) remember, there is a manhole I had to keep accessible 24/7 and this has worked out well. Basically a trap door that pulls out and I left 18" of clearance off the finished floor so some skinny bloke can shimmy under the rack if needed. Monday I hope to have the rack in place and begin loading it with equipment.

I spent today painting the Drum Booth and the Live Room; cleaning up after everyone who has been working the last 3 days and pondering things financial. It seems that all the planning in the world, isn't worth piss without the wearwithall to stick with the plan, find places to make compromises and most of all, breathe when things get out of control!

It's been a full year since I took lease of the space. Many people have questioned why on Earth would I want to pay rent after putting all the $$$ into the renovations... simple, location, location, location. If I were to build this facility from the ground up, it would probably cost me about $1m. I don't have that much... so I compromised. Making the facility convertible from rehearsal space to digital recording studio to video post production suite made the most sense to maximize use and income. I have 4 rooms I can rent out for single instrument rehearsal, depending on the instruments being played. Obviously I can't have someone wailing on a Marshall stack, while another is playing flute in the next room. So anyone renting space has to be considerate of the others present.

All the recent issues (no heat, loud hum, water running down the back door ramp) can be worked out in time. I am at the point where I just take a deep breath, close my eyes and envision the place filled with creative people making music, recording it, and having a CD/DVD of their finished product. Same goes for video post. It's been decades since I last edited videotape. Now everything is digital nonlinear... learning curve? Yes. Motivated to learn? Yes.

With each day, the space and the buzz grows... people are calling and visiting the studio and the response has been positive. No one can believe that such a place exists... but it does. My plan is to have my occupancy permit for March 1st (3rd actually). I figure that things will be rough and tumble for a month while I get things wired, tested, tuned, etc. My entrance doors are going to take two months to come in... so I compromise... use the Amp Booth, Drum Booth, Vocal Booth and Control Room for recording until the doors can be mounted.

In the meantime, I am casing the openings with pine/plywood for a 'finished' appearance. The cloth ceilings won't be done until sometime in late March/early April... but the rooms are painted, the ceilings insulated and covered with 2mil plastic. The hardwood floors will be laid, sanded and finished by Feb 29th. The Control Room cork floor gets installed next Saturday. This coming week, the electricians will be completing their rough work in the control Room and installing fixtures through out. It's nice to have lights to dim instead of rope work lights.

The doors will be cased/finished this week as well. I hope to have the acoustic panels painted (by yours truly) & installed in the Amp Booth. Next comes the completion of the Vocal Booth from top to bottom with cloth panels, corner diffuser panel and 5 acoustic panels hung on the walls. Right now, the room sounds great as it is. The pic of the two guys playing from Thursday night captures John Landini tooting his horn. This horn sounds so rich recorded. My hat's off to John S. for designing a great room.

I was reflecting on the space this afternoon after cleaning, vacuuming and removing the scaffolding so the flooring installer will have unfettered access tomorrow morning. Between the lighting, the paint color and the Ash flooring (not yet installed) the Live Room seems very peaceful. My hope is that when the ceiling acoustic panel is in place and the lights are dimmed, that whatever style of music is being recorded will have a life of its own... and that the musicians can relax, create and record without watching the clock!

The punch list get shorter every day. The stress level increases each day... the vibe of the facility get stronger each day... and my bank account dwindles ever further each day...

... and each day I look forward with love to the time when I can open the doors, turn on the power and sit back at the console recording the next great ...

More pix coming later this week. right now I need some sleep, a percocet for my knees and a hot shower to get all the paint out of my hair...

Namaste,
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 25th ---

Ahhhh! Another week gone by and things continue to move closer to opening day.

Last weekend was spent installing the cork floor in the Control Room the lasst of the lights for the CR and installation of receptacles, switches, etc. There are those pesky details like Exit and Emergency lighting, smoke detectors, outlets for the 2 rolling racks.

Still don't have heat and the cost is going to rise by another $2k (I don't have) to put in a boost pump to move the 95 degree 'hot' water around my heating coil faster and a 3-way valve which 'should' improve the heat issue.

The other issue is the water coming in the back door and down the ramp... into the chill room floor. The building owner has his ideas about how to solve the problem... and I have mine. Seems like the best overall solution is to saw cut the cement and install a grate drain wider than the door and run a PVC pipe into the existing drain. He doesn't want to spend the money on that, so he's going to put on a 4' deep roof above the door, 5" gutters and a 1 birck course 'moat' around the door. I say trip hazard...

Today the floors were sanded and the first coat (of 5) water-based polyurethane applied. The whole week will consist of opening the studio and waiting for the poly to be applied and then returning home. Catching up on bookkeeping, sales taxes, taxes and organizing all the piles of paperwork for the studio build, equipment inventory and crafting my "policies" page for the studio brochure.

The current plan is to spend the weekend insulating/2 mil plastic the ceiling in the CR. Once that is complete, installing the 5.1 Surround speaker system, DM2000 Console on temporary table, begin installing EDACs for the patchbays and run the toslink cables for the console/converter I/Os. Hope to have the cables for the console/speaker AES card and for the System 6000 Reverb as well.

CR glass to be installed on or about 3/7, after the space between the CR walls is insulated and the OC 703 frames installed between the walls. I am going with 1/2" laminated glass for the CR side and 3/8" laminated glass for the Live Room side.

Take care, be well and remember to count your blessings when things go sideways...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Halo frostgfx!

Would like to ask for a construction tip which you have done in this pic img_1549web_470.jpg is about the wooden framing over the wall.

I want to make wooden framing over existing dry-wall walls so i can base my ceiling and also the frames make cavities for absorption (the framing will be scrued on floated floor) but i am not sure if the framing has to be scrued to the walls without anything in between 2) put some kind of 3mm rubber in between and then scrue it or not scrue it and glue it or leave 5mm of space and caulk it.

Thanks in advance
peace
steve
joey

Post by joey »

the place is cool man.
whish i had that much space. (renting somthing like that in london crazy money forget buying).

the control room is going to be the dogs.

i would install a drain at the top of the ramp. its not hard to do just get a diamond bit blade keep it wet. break it up drop in the drain fixed.
im sure im just telling you what you already know mate.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Feb 29 ---

Today the floor was sealed for the last time and I had a chance to set up my drum kit for some jamming tomorrow afternoon. Spent most of this afternoon cleaning mic stands/booms, etc., putting Aviom mixers together and getting things ready to finish insulating the CR ceiling tomorrow after the electricians finish their wiring. By late tomorrow, I will be installing the 5.1 speakers in their boxes and running optical cables to the console. Plan to have some folks from the building over to jam so I can get something on disk to play with next week.

The Amp Booth should be completed once and for all tomorrow as well. Then the CR will get cloth panels, more light bulbs, and carpeting next week. Hope to be officially open for business by next Friday.

Pics coming mid week next... It's going to snow big time tonite and tomorrow so will pack for a weekend in the studio.

Namaste,