how to make 9 bass-traps and 11 broadband absorbers in 3days

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

SoulFood

how to make 9 bass-traps and 11 broadband absorbers in 3days

Post by SoulFood »

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to thank John and everyone participating on this forum, sharing the knowladge! It's only because of this forum I finnished my project! You guys are the best!!!!

And another thing... I made the panels in 4 days from the moment the actual construction started... With everything bought and prepared, you could easily complete the first step in one day!

Anyway... to the fun stuff...

1.)

I bought 2m3 of DP-8 (80kg/m3) and 2m3 of DP-5 (50kg/m3), eqivalent to 705 and 703, I was told . And many 400cm long 14,5cm wide and 2cm thick boards, some glue, screws, burlap, etc...

The dimensions I chose are: 1m x 1,8m. That makes for 3 panels of isolation for every panel.

When you have everything you need, cut the boards to your desired leingth. Cut them all at once! The motto of the day is: mass production! :D
There are many little things you can do in order to make everything a little faster. Let's say, when marking the boards, where you want to cut them, first mark one very precisely, and then just put the next boards next to it, and you have an instant measurment!

For aestetic reasons, I decided to have the 703 absorbers in a 10cm "deep" frame, so I had to cut them "length wise" too.

When you have all the finnished boards prepared, get 4 "corner hoders" (I am sorry, I have no idea how they are called in english. They allow you to fix two boards, 90 degrees to each other, in position).
Put a little glue to where the boards will come together, fixate them in the "corner holder", and scerw them together. Repeat for all the 4 corners. An even faster way is to have a friend hold the boards together instead of fixing them in the "what-are-they-called holders"
SoulFood

Post by SoulFood »

2.)

Now comes the part where it gets really fast!

I actually "test made" a few panels where I used a stapler to put the burlap on the frames... I also decided to cover the isolation with a layer of... Hm... excuse my english again... Some sort of "papery fabric", used to cover the gardens, so that flowers don't freeze, I would think... Anyway! For me, it was just too frustrating... and slow... and loud... and boring... you get the point. ;)
So here's the fast system!

Lay the pre-made frame on the floor. Gently cover it with a layer of your fabric (in my case one layer of the "papery fabric" over a layer of burlap.) You shouldn't push the fabric into the frame! It should only "rest" on it. By doing so you will get a tight fit arround the isolation, when you push it in...
SoulFood

Post by SoulFood »

When you have the isolation in place, gently push it in, one panel at a time. If you have normal isolation panels, with no sides "treated" (again can't find the correct word... you can get the isolation with a layer of another, denser material on one side), the fastest way to ensure all of it is covered is to wrap every individual one before pushing it into the frame. I wouldn't bother with covering the front and the back side seperately...
SoulFood

Post by SoulFood »

Now the leftovers of wood I got from cutting the boards length-wise are used to hold the fabric in place. I was shocked to discover that we hadn't taken any photos of this part of the process. The best one I have to offer is this one below.
TO explain the situation on this photo... When I was in that "mass production" feeling, I wanted to prepare all the parts the best I could for the final assembly. So... I gluend and screwed 2cmx2cm "stick?", roughly 20cm or so shorter than the actual frame is long or wide. I thought they would be needed to hold the isolation in place, so it couldn't fall out from the back.
But the more important function they have, as I later found out, is that they can also hold the fabric in place while stil providing some support from the back. Sooo... before I could put the isolation into the frames, I had to cut all the "wooden holders" off only to put them back on minutes later...

Just so I will be understood better... The way I fixed the burlap and the "mistery fabric" on to the frame is by sticks, holding it in place the better part of every frame's side. I just screwed the sticks on to the frame, making a wood-fabric-wood sandwich. :)
SoulFood

Post by SoulFood »

And hereare the panels in action!!!

The sound is just SO MUCH BETTER!!! the first time my band played in this room, we thought: We totally suck!! And yes... we do. Only that was the first time we really heard it. :S ;)
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Thanks for sharing - I've made it a stickey so everyone gets to share ;)

cheers
john
SoulFood

Post by SoulFood »

WOW!!!! Thank you!

I'll try to take some more detailed pictures... I'll post them soon. :D
Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

Just out of curiosity... how soon is that? Do you have the rest of the pics for this sticky? :D
Regards,

Edo
Ro

Post by Ro »

Since this one is linked in the "how to make panels" sticky already, I think it should loose it's "sticky" status. To much trees will hide the forest (uh, what?)
jclarke

Broad band absorbers

Post by jclarke »

Hey their,
just a quick question about possibly adding to this trap. I have 6 sheets of foam that is 4x6x2" .. "egg shell" would it be a bad idea to place this foam over top of the trap( on the front) ? Please correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure that the foam is worthless against low frequencies, so i assumed it was worthless on a bass trap.I figured it would help with the mid to high range for recording things such as vocals and acoustic guitars( softer stuff)

thanks
jclarke
Ro

Post by Ro »

Dunno, what traps you're refering to. Those presented in this very thread?
Then, neh, forget about it. The traps don't use any "reflection" surface for higher frequencies so they work more as a broadband with volume for extra basstrapping (more volume is more bass absorbing).
Adding them whimpy egg-crate-styled foam sheets will not make a big difference.

why don't you open up your own threat and post your current panels, if you got any. and ask the Q again... cheers
steveri007

Re:

Post by steveri007 »

SoulFood wrote:And hereare the panels in action!!!

The sound is just SO MUCH BETTER!!! the first time my [SPAM DELETED] band played in this room, we thought: We totally suck!! And yes... we do. Only that was the first time we really heard it. :S ;)
Hello!
This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Soundman2020 »

steveri007 wrote:
SoulFood wrote:And hereare the panels in action!!!

The sound is just SO MUCH BETTER!!! the first time my [SPAM DELETED] band played in this room, we thought: We totally suck!! And yes... we do. Only that was the first time we really heard it. :S ;)
Hello!
This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!
Goodbye!
This was your first and last time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy that you are no longer here and the spam you shared has been deleted along with your opinion.
Thanks!

- Stuart -