Mic Cable Conduit Help

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

fender1973

Mic Cable Conduit Help

Post by fender1973 »

I am in the design stage of a recording studio, for now we are going to build a 12 X 12 drum room and a MC room of the same size. My question is what kind of conduit should I use to route my cable through the walls and what size would be good. I have 2000 feet of single pair, plus ground, sheilded cable, I was hoping to 2 surface mount boxes in the drum room with 8xlr's in each and maybe something for headphones. I want to use conduit to save any maintenance or upgrade headaches, but I want to make sure I use the right one. Thanks.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Use the pvc conduit rated for electrical. It's usually grey in color and is in the electrical section (such as Home Depot, etc).

Size will depend on how much wire you are pulling through the conduit. But my guess would be no less than 1 1/2" conduit.
fender1973

Post by fender1973 »

thanks Aaron. I plan to surface mount any boxes to mininmize the wall opening.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

That's usually all you need to do is stub out the conduit, then any wall plates usually surface mount or stick out a couple inches away from the wall so you have clearance for all the connectors and room for any service slack (or service loop).
fender1973

Post by fender1973 »

My next concern it the type of lighting. I know I want can lights, but is there a certain light I should stay away from?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

It all depends on the application and how/where they are used.

Will they be used above a hard ceiling in touch w/ insulation?
Will they be in a drop tile ceiling?
Will they be inside the room, maybe installed in a baffle?

There are 2 main types (that I'm aware of). IC & non IC (IC=Insulation Contact)

Unless you're planning to use stage type can lights?