John
Blue Bear Sound

Post by Blue Bear Sound »

Very cool John!

Thanks for posting it..........!
DDev

Post by DDev »

Bruce,

Congratulations on getting things going. Looks like its going to be a great setup.

As I've studied sites over the last year or so, and lurked at HR and read all your posts on various subjects, I've often wondered what your current studio is setup like. I've seen the photos, but don't have a real feel for the size or shape of what you currently have. I hope its not a problem to ask, and if so just tell me to kiss off, but you know how curiosity goes. Mine is mostly from the newbie standpoint of trying to figure out how I'm going to translate from where I'm starting at to where I want to go, and it looks to me like you are travelling down that path a couple of years ahead of me. I now have a dedicated mixing room (I currently record remotely only), so the next step is to be determined yet, but I already have a friends band that wants to come over to do some stuff, so maybe this will get rolling sooner than I had planned. We'll see.

Thanks,
Darryl.....
Blue Bear Sound

I started to try and layout my old facility, but it was getting too time-consuming using just a paint package....

It was certainly a lot smaller than the new facility, centered around a smaller control room, a listening room, and a small tracking nooth. The primary business was post-production, but also voice-overs, and vocal/instrument demos. I had also started to work on some video stuff.

My new facility will be able to handle a much wider variety of functions from tracking right through to post-production in a much more spacious and comfortable setting.

In any case, out with the old and in with the new!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Bruce
DDev

Post by DDev »

:D :D

Thanks for the reply, Bruce. I hope you didn't try that paint layout on my account, I'd feel guilty for your expended effort. You really answered what I was questioning, I think. I hope someday to be able to either have a complete facility of my own, or to take over the whole basement when I kick my kids out to go to college (4 years, 6 months, and counting...seems too long at the moment).

Best of luck with your construction!!

Cheers,
Darryl.....

p.s. John has really rubbed off on too many people. Every where I turn these days someone is offering their salutations with "cheers"!!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

p.s. John has really rubbed off on too many people. Every where I turn these days someone is offering their salutations with "cheers"!!
I've noticed that toooo......maybe I'll stop to be different :):)

cheers
john
Blue Bear Sound

Teacher: Every person is different...
Smart-aleck: I'm not.......!

:lol: :lol:
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Teacher: Every person is different
One thing in life I'll never understand is :
how do you handle the cold, living in Ottawa!
if it drops below 20C I'm outof here!!!!

cheers
John
Blue Bear Sound

-27C today, John!
MMazurek

Post by MMazurek »

Great Pic's of the studio!

What are you doing with the floor & ceiling?
And how much height do you have to work with?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

It's tight - 7'10" to floor joists, 7' to under HVAC Ducts. :0

cheers
JOhn
Blue Bear Sound

Yup - ceiling's a bit tight - but still workable..........! We intentionally didn't float the floors so as to maximize our limited ceiling height.

For budgetary reasons I'm going to be laying Burber industrial carpeting for now... except for a small hardwood "island" behind the console. All other options are dollars/foot - industrial carpet stuff is cents/foot! (That's the Scottish blood in me coming out!) ;)
DDev

Post by DDev »

For what its worth, I too went with some Berber for my control room, but I picked up some specifically designed for garage floors (super cheap and tough). I figured that should be durable enough to handle a cement floor and an office chair rolling over it. Plus I wanted something that could handle a bit of moisture just in case this corner develops another water leak (like the one I used to justify building my room with my wife in the first place).

Darryl.....
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

When looking at carpet make sure it's a natural fibre - like aussie wool :) The synthetic carpets are prone to build up static electricity that can give quite a belt, plus possibly damage sensitive gear. :)

cheers
john
Blue Bear Sound

Good point, John...!

Now how can we ground the carpet?