want digital mixer control surface ideas

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

bobmurphy

want digital mixer control surface ideas

Post by bobmurphy »

hi - i want to buy a digital mixer which can be used as a control surface for cubaseSX

i dont know if such a thing exists but ideally what i want is a single device that can function as a preamp where i can eq before the a-d conversion, an audio interface so i can get at least 8 channels into the pc and then a surface which would have no issues controling cubaseSX

has anyone got any suggestions

was looking at the tascam fw1884 but i dont think you can eq going to tape

thanks
StudioE

Post by StudioE »

Why don't you check out the Tascam 3200 or 4800 digital mixer. With the firewire expansion card, you can plug directly to your pc. I have the (slightly) older Tascam DM-24 & I'm quite happy. I think the new boards even have a fader layer dedicated for DAW control. The 24, 3200, & 4800 comply with the Mackie Control standard. With mine I can record 20 inputs at once. :D
Sideshow

DM-4800

Post by Sideshow »

Bob,

I use the Tascam DM-4800 with Cubase on a PC.

This does 100% of what I need and almost everything I want.....hey the learning curve for these digitaldesks is fairly vertical so 1 month later I am still learning but functioning - FYI

I recorded a classical ensemble last night - the playing, the performance the inspiration, the clarity and the re route for mixing .....all done by pressing /calling up a few presets I have made - I nearly cried - such sounds and no wires /repatching - all staying in the Digital domain while coming back through the desk......need I say more?

The Mackie and Yamaha units do stuff too and I am not blind/deaf to a good system.

BUT If you check your priorities, quality, compatibility, budget etc I think you may well agree on the Tascam series.

Yes there is always the audiophile's answer - buy a 1970's desk and record to tape - but I can't justify that - cost, time or trade offs...

I wanted a GREAT digital desk....I have one.

PS I sent classical guitars through Sebatron pre's - and the rest thru the Tascam pre's - all awesome pre's - just different.

My 2c
CHeers

Eliot