Live room/rehearsal room project completed! Tuning to come!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Kaj

To be continued

Post by Kaj »

Thanks Spaceboy,
I can see alot of people that been to this thread but not too many with any comments soo far, but I will not stop and wait for that to happen.
Here is a follow up on the pics for the Absorber:

And yes, sure some will drop the comment about not using dust mask when working with hammer and mineral wool, but see my location, we are Vikings and nothing I can do about inheritated behaviours, but its so hot to work with insulation and I love the rubbing feeling when I wash after work is completed.

I was in the construction business many years ago and I could easily put up 200 to 300 m2 in a day alone but that was no cutting, just to slam in the slabs between the studs, this is quadruple work as we have to measure every slab going in thats counts for inner and outer layer. And we using OC 400mm and the insulation is standard for 600mm or for wooden studs 560mm, to save insulation I cut the 1200mm into three but there are angled studs in each end of every 1200mm absorber section (2x4 sections).

Also remember before to put in any slabs to take pictures and record the depths in each section, you will need it at the time for installing the slats.

I have a lot of this pics that I have to go through tomorrow when its time for the slats on one wall and for the insulation on the second a bit deeper than this one!!!

Am I happy :D :D :D :D :arrow:
Yes indeed

C :arrow: heers
Kaj
Kaj
Kaj

Slats installation beginning

Post by Kaj »

Hi,
Today did we get some work done, stained a part of the slats and completed another 25% of the insulation of second wall. And completed 25% of the slats of first wall. We all think its looking awsome with the black and red. : :D . I used the Helmholtz calculator and Harman room mode calculator.
I use the shallow measure and add it with the deepest and divide it with 2, This is my average depth of absorber. In the room mode calculator did I make a spread sheet calculation in three bands with average frequencies that will be covered of the Lo and High ends of the absorber see pics and xls snap shot.

Initial calculation and design as below:
The average of 305Hz
High end 738 Hz
Low end 136 Hz

But I decided to change the gap below and above slat No 6 from bottom, and change the 120mm to a 95mm instead, this is my simple recalculation of the average and high vs low end:

Average 315 Hz
High 738 Hz
Low 185 Hz

Note that 722 Hz is the highest mode wave from the calculator, and I hope that this will balance abit of the modes.

Tomorrow no more work on the room for one month for me so dont think I became lazy, just have to work for my income every now and than.

Cheers

Kaj
Kaj
Kaj

One pic missing

Post by Kaj »

Here are the mode figures I have used in the decision of slat and slot width.

Cheers
Kaj
VSpaceBoy

Post by VSpaceBoy »

Wow its looking great.

Did you double up the rockwool behind the slats? Seems like alot. :shock:
Kaj

Post by Kaj »

Did you double up the rockwool behind the slats?
Yes, 2x50mm for the ridgid insulation and 90mm for the 37kg/m3 at shallow, HF part of the absorber.

Cheers
:D :D
Kaj
VSpaceBoy

Post by VSpaceBoy »

What percentge will that raise the effectiveness? (approx)

I just seems expensive and so forth ya know. :)
Kaj

Post by Kaj »

Vspaceboy,
I have not calculated any %, and I dont really know if i know how to do this as I dont know what to compare between and for what frequencies it has to be done, do you know any standards with % as result? . My approach; When we have completed phase I, will I take measurment for further treatment, but I saw this pointless at this stage as we will put new floor, painting and move in our gear. At that stage will I go into fine tuning, another reason to use screws for the slats, that mean that they are adjustible.

Cheers.
Kaj
Ro

Post by Ro »

Hey Kaj, great work and pix. We love detailed pix ;)
About no-one commenting: If you don't have questions and only show your progress thatl'll be fine and just fun to watch. Usually this is the place to discuss techniques, planning, construction, pros-cons, materials etc.
Kaj

Thanks

Post by Kaj »

Thank you Ro,
I like when people challenge what I'm doing, maybe not everything but.....guess you know what I mean. To get a question from readers can make me aware of things I might have overlooked, and that what I hope will happen while we are in progress. If I comming to a problem, than I'll come up with a question, one might be the false ceiling I have plans to do, but before I'll ask.....I shall search the forum for ideas and learn a bit more. But so far I think it has been a bit straight forward. I have not tried any :idea: novalities yet! :P

I have enjoyed to follow other projects with lots of pictures and beleive me, I learn a lot just by looking on the picture speakless about the reading that comes together with it. This is my way of try to pay back with pictures on how it can be done.

I hope that my mates in the band will continue with the room so we can attack the second wall that has a bit more depth, and will go slight lower in absorbtion, thats on the side where the smaller basstrap is.

Thanks and cheers
Kaj
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Kaj hey,

first of all, this is looking really good! Excellent photos and very good clean nice work ;)

I have one question though,
it seems that you've chosen a less dense material for hi frequency absorbtion and vice versa, more dense for the low-mid.

Throughout my reading on many places on this subject, it was suggested to use a less dense but alot of absorbtion for long waves - while for the short waves using a more dense material.

Can you elaborate on this particular choice of yours...?

EDIT: I've just noticed your thread in Acoustics exactly about this subject ;)

Thank you for sharing this project.
keep up the great work.

Philip
If you build it, it will...
Kaj

Responce

Post by Kaj »

Thanks Philip,
As you mentioned, its an ongoing matter thet I think I will resolve within the comming days, keep an eye on this posts.

My flight is going very soon boarding, bye bye.

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj

2 weeks later

Post by Kaj »

So,
back from Russia, what have the guys done while I'm being away for 14 days? I do it easy for my self, and attach some pics. :)
They ran out of material, and the supplyer was sick so, not much have been done as planned. We have now a work list compiled again, and I have been done some punch listing of the work and the insulation has been accidentially puched in to the trap before the slats was installed. So we have to remove slats, needed to be stained anyway, and remove fabrics in two sections to readjust the insulation to be flush + a few mm to ensure no air gaps betveen slat/fabric/insulation.
We will put wall paper on the other walls and paint the walls in the near future as well as we will complete the second wall, but we need more material and staining the material. Last will be the laminate floor and clouds, spot lights.
Kaj
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Looks very nifty :)

hope it was a nice trip to mother russia...
If you build it, it will...
Kaj

More pics

Post by Kaj »

Shalom Filip, sure was the trip to Russia nice, will go back soon again. The problem is that it is little time left for me to enjoy the Russian life style full as I work too many hours, but I've got the opportunty to jam with a Russian Rock'n'roll band before I left, and that was fun. They played a lot of 50-60ies, and I was happy, long time since I played core rock'n'roll.

:cry: I have redone a portion of the insulation work done while I was away, but it was faster than I expected... :D
T :D his is wall no.. 2 and its almost completed.. :D
Think that the picture will show a part of the progress, we have stared to put up wall paper and planning for new floor (laminate)
Still in discusion of if we will install halogen spotlights. We also plan to install defection boards in the ceiling.

We installed the slats in one bay first, we focused on the eye hight and tried to get a fake symmetry by extending the patterns not exactly the same gaps for 5 slats from wall 1 towards wall 2, see pic, wall 2 is a bit more deep and I have calculated the strip of slats to still be within the modes for the room. As you can see from the pics did we build downwards from the eye catching area. :lol:

Cheers
kaj
Kaj
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

I have been folllowing your progress and have not had anything specific to say so far, other than it looks great!

Andre