Live room/rehearsal room project completed! Tuning to come!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Kaj

Power sockets!

Post by Kaj »

Hi Kris,
I have not done the wireing for the power sockets yet (watch this space), only light and ventilation fan done so far! Reasons being that I want to have the floor done and put the floor trims (base board/Skirting board) in. Intend to have 10 sockets on two independant phases, so hopefully will I have that done by middle of next week if I dont get a real good work done comming days and weekend then it will be completed by Sunday! All electrical material already with me. Floor is here and the trims to be ordered and stained. plan to get the suspended ceiling installed latest on this comming friday, fingers crossed!! If any delays in the trims, will I install the cables using a dummy trim along the ceiling/floor and install cables and power sockets. :D :D :D But thanks for the bump, I might order the trims tomorrow and than I can start to install the sockets before the weekend, I have the time do I have the power??? 8) 8) 8)

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj

More progress

Post by Kaj »

Thanks Steve, you firming up Ro's suggestion to make them curved but not tilted. The flutter that I've been hearing, are related to ceiling VS floor, will love to get rid of that, even if it increase the RT 60 time, I will add insulation or more traps to deal with that later when no flutter exist.

More progress,
Finnished of the three HF absorbers, see link for details on how I built them;
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 5065#55065

Some questions :?: :
We also got the laminate floor today (Walnut) and, the soft fibre board that will be doing the suspended ceiling deflection/diffusion job, still thinking in how much in radious I can bend them?

One idea :idea: is to use the distance from the nearest helmhotz wall as radious for the curve (aiming at the high end of the absorber area), am I trying to do things that has no effect on the sound? Do I over estimate the deflection effect of those fibre boards?

A second idea :idea: is to use 2/3rd of the ceiling hight as radious, cant justify why this 2/3rd more than I just feel it to be right (?) :roll: :?:

They are about 1,2mx2,4m and 12mm thick, they are very soft so I think I can make a arc/curve with a 1,6-2,4m radious. Any suggestions?

I would like to know if its good to combine glue and screws to fix the board to the curved frame? The board is like soft pressed dust! Think I can use my index finger and punch a hole through it if I tried.
Kaj
sharward

Post by sharward »

Look at 'im go!!! :shock:

He's making me look lazy, huh? :lol:

Keep up the good work, Kaj! 8)

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I wasn't talking about using the soft soundboard at all - poly's are usually made from relatively thin plywood, typically 1/4" (6mm or so) because it CAN be bent without turning to dust. It's also available in nice veneers so all you need to do is stain or paint... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Kaj

Reply:

Post by Kaj »

Thanks Steve,
I wasn't talking about using the soft soundboard at all - poly's are usually made from relatively thin plywood, typically 1/4" (6mm or so) because it CAN be bent without turning to dust. It's also available in nice veneers so all you need to do is stain or paint... Steve
I've got your message about the Soundboard and the thin plywood, but too late for stopping the order of it :? :( .
So now I hope that we will be okay, I like the idea to be able to stain or paint the curved boards and get rid of the flutter, I expect the same acoustic properties from the soft soundboards i.e flutter killing (not painted), can I? :?:

Following statement and questions is based upon my previous experience (light) and my sound engineering/acoustics edjucation (shallow/old?) :roll:

What is the bad thing(s) to use Soundboard for what I intend to use it for :? , (anything good with Soundboards VS polys at all?). I have seen One of the legend Bruce Swedien's 8) personal friend in Sweden (Björn Asplind) design of a studio with this sound board as deflecting/diffusion devices suspended from the ceiling :) :D :) . Background of Björn;

Björn wrote an Sound engineering book for the Swedish musicians/sound engineers in the 80ies 8) , and I had him as a mentor and we used Michael Jacksons Thriller, in Multi track version (thanks to Bruce giving a copy away 8) 8) 8) ) during my Sound engineer training, It might be the old school from 80's that used soundboards and not plywood?? :oops:

Back to main topic and direction;
We will go on and build it with Soundboards and change if it is sounding/looking bad :P , the show must go on!!! Only a prompt DONT DO IT can stop us now (the frames can be recycled into plywood design :idea: , and soundboards can be recycled to gobos!! :idea: Damage control and no waste!! 8) 8) 8)

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj

Job done

Post by Kaj »

Hi,
Boards done, only minor adjustment to be completed, tomorrow will be hanging day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaj
Ro

Post by Ro »

geeeez, can you believe this guy, he pulls of more work in 1 day than the rest of us lamers do in 1 year!

We'll it ain't all that. Without plans, and little research you can work very fast indeed. You might make a mistake or two (prolly more), but hell it gets it done pronto!

Kaj, we're all very impressed by your speed in construction. But there's also some doubt about your "plans" (if any).

The mix up about what kinda wood for them panels is just an example. Take your time to do a little bit more research and the result will work out even better... still I'm impressed with the work you get done.
Kaj

Respond

Post by Kaj »

8) 8) 8)
Thanks Ro, first,
Better to do a bad decision and correct down the road than make nothing at all! I'm not a lose electron nor a lose canon, all done so far.. are planned, and all is designed to be adjustible if anything is not working as expected.

Thanks again for support and that you like the speed of this project, remember we are 7 guys putting in work, so we have to be organised. And thats why we have a fast progress.

As you can see from my previous post, explains just about the boards, Its now or I adjust it later, not to worry unless this sound board are soo bad? Do you have any experience yourself from this kind of soft sound board, if yes, please share them with me good or bad, I will take it in to account at the fine tuning. My experience are mentioned in previous post.

If I have a plan or not.... Hmm blunt question but OK You are Dutch and I'm Swedish, so I do not feel bad about your question, sure do I have a plan. I have been lurking here for a long time and other places, I'm committed to this kind of projects as I love the scope with trouble and hard work. But I'm not sure about what convince you about that I should have researched more about the ceilings, I have searched and could not with my efforts find any threads explaining anything like this. Steve replied and pointed out he meant the plywood, still waiting for what is bad about the soft boards (except the bending /dust factor). And no loss more than labour, and we can easily redo work, as we are all prepared to adjusting a few bits.

Last,
Dont forget that we are making a rehearsal room/LR not a studio, so less time consuming work to be done. And we are the only users of the room. When I going to build a CR, than I will put a lot of more detailed acoustic studies and isolate any interference sources as I need a sweet spot, this room are not focusing on a sweet spot as you for sure agree it should not be aiming at. I like a live feeling in the room, for sure not dead at all. The tweaking work I expect will peak when we moved in and found the best placing of the instruments and amps, for practice. And even more when we will do a demo recording there...

Thanks Ro, please continue to scrutinize what we do, it surely makes me work better, thanks again. :) :D :) :!:

Cheers
Kaj
sharward

Re: Respond

Post by sharward »

Kaj wrote:. . . You are Dutch and I'm Swedish . . .
So, check this out... A dutch and a swede walk into a bar...

"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Ro

Post by Ro »

Actually, Keith, that happened just a few weeks ago when I hooked up with Andromeda (you, as proglover, should now that band!)

Kaj, I'm not at all saying you don't have a plan or you work/ideas sux. Not at all. Guess I'm just jealous... ;)

keep it up! I might wanna visit you next time I'm in Sweden.... (you never know eh!)
Kaj

Ceiling completed

Post by Kaj »

Hi,
Ro, no worries, you are welcome to have a look and listen to the acoustic, if you come to Sweden. And I can understand that it appear random as we have so fast progress. I started this morning 05:15 to finish of and hang the ceiling boards, so team two could start with the floor at 12:00 hrs, I will take a trip down there later today to snap some pics, but the rest of this day are just to rest, been so many hours of work.
I have filled 4 boards with 50% insulation 37kg/m3 95mm thick, I will decide when we moved in and I can test the room, if I need to fill more of the boards to fine tune.
The deflection increased the reverb time as I expected and the acoustic atmosphere is warm and reverb time about 0,7 sec, estimated by ear again.

Cheers.
Kaj
Kaj

laminate floor

Post by Kaj »

:D :D :D
My friends had a good progress this afternoon and evening, think they will be ready before tomorrow at lunch, I think the colour of Walnut looking cool 8) 8) together with the Red and Black on the walls.

Due to the installation of the panels in the ceiling will I have to move the halogene spots away abit from the panels, I dont want to start a fire in the panels.
That and install some cables for the power sockets to be done, tomorrow.

I snapped some pics of the band working as usual!! :wink:

Cheers
Kaj
sharward

Post by sharward »

Looks terrific, Kaj! :)

What are the white boxes? The wiring looks different than what I'm used to seeing... :roll:

Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

They're plastic 'central boxes', where electrical interconnections of mains power wires are made. We use the same system in Holland as well.
Regards,

Edo
Kaj

Floor 99% completed

Post by Kaj »

I´m :D ,
Ok Keith, happy to hear that you like it. We are happy as well as it comes together. The white boxes are European standards as Edo stated, (not UK I assume as they still having different way of doing it, We do it right, and what they do is left. There are different sizes of this external boxes, all in plastic for this IP classifications, I use IP54. And also the built in boxes are in plastic, they comes in i reckon three diameters and have different colour codes, different amount of ports 16mm/20mm for conduits. See link for samples of how the types looks like in Sweden they are available with telescopic sleves for up to three layers of gypsum board, and Keith, your Swedish skill are enough to understand the language :wink: , Boxes=Dosor.

So this morning I inspected the progress of the laminate flooring, and I can say that its >99% completed. So here comes a few pics of the progress 99% and the remaining 1%.
The last board to go in, needed to be glued as it had to be a cake piece/bird mouth opening...

I will start to repositioning the spot light today, and if I have time (?) pulling some cables for the power sockets, but not yet time for energize the power distribution, will let it be inspected before removal of the electrical isolation in the main distribution board for the building, but I use a multimeter and check before i touch it anyway, dont like the electrical chock.

Cheers
Kaj