Live room/rehearsal room project completed! Tuning to come!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Kaj

Feedback

Post by Kaj »

Andre,
Thank you, its nice to hear that you like it, we shall hopefully get the wall paper done this week, and more wood has arrived, so I have to get the stainer to get red handed again, he looks like a butcher after 100 metre of staining :lol: :lol:
I will keep documenting the progress as long as I,m home.

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj
Kaj

More updates

Post by Kaj »

:D I´m happy to continue with our progress. And here we go again!
Again pics saying more than thousand words....
I have swapped over two radiators to accomodate another absorber. And my friends has put up most of the wall paper. And a few square metres of prime painting done.

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj
Kaj

Suspended ceiling panels

Post by Kaj »

Hi, I have a plan to install soft wood fibre board (same as advertisement board for pins) to get rid of flutter between floor and ceiling. We will have laminate floor so it will be quite reflective, but these boards are a bit dead at HF but reflect mid range. I will remove all light fixtures and install Halogen spot lights instead. I would like to have your experience on hanging panels suspended and slanted from the ceiling.
I will make a frame and fill some of them with 50mm glass wool, coated with perforated foil. The glass wool will be resting on the fibre board.

I plan to slant as per picture, 11 deg. I would like to know if anyone have done any thing like this, and give me a thumb up or advice on what to do, and/or not to do.

Shall I hang them like this?
Kaj
Ro

Post by Ro »

Hanging boards with an angle will DEFLECT sound (not diffuse) so it'll do something but I'd bet my money on absorption first. Are these only wood or is there going to be some 703 (or alike) hanging there?
Absorption will take care of flutter better than deflection

ps.
That window looks like one giant sound leak (no mass)
Kaj

Thanks

Post by Kaj »

Ro, thanks,
I should write Deflect sound and avoid flutter. I will put similar to OC 703 on top of the board, i dont want to kill the high end completely. I will use 50mm with foil coating on one side and shift as needed, foil up or down or no glass wool at all. I will install at least two wall absorbers for HF with fluffy insulation for HF control. I still want to use these boards to fine tune the room. And if you read in the beginning of this thread, We are not looking for a studio quality with isolation of sound, only a nice sounding rehearsal room, so leak through windows are not a problem, at all..
I have attached a new maybe a bit better pic over my plan for deflecting boards.
Kaj
Kaj

Traps completed

Post by Kaj »

Hi,
It was nice to get a break from x-mas hysteria and get into the work clothes again :lol: :lol: . So all broadband absorbers are completed and only a few slats to be stained. Next on the work list are to completed wall paper, painting walls and ceiling. Some rewireing of the electrical system to have lights, ventilation fans segregated from the wall sockets. Acoustics trimming with two wall mounted HF absorbers and some of the slanted boards that will be the last job together with a new floor. So we have a bit of work remaining to do.

So yesterday we get the painting started of the first coating of the yellowish paint that will be the final colour. And completed the last two helmholtz absorbers included all wood work on them, balance only staining. And again, I keept my camera with me to documenting progress.

Cheers :wink:
Last edited by Kaj on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaj
Kaj

Post by Kaj »

And a few more pics,
Kaj
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

Hej Kaj

Nice work! looking good!

btw. on the pic Kaj65.JPG you're really looking swedish, guess why? :D

what kind of music will you do in this location? because the red colour will put some aggressions in ;-)

keep going the good work.

cheerz
roman
Kaj

Answer,

Post by Kaj »

Thanks Roman,
The pic Kaj 65 is not me, but the colours are familiar as in the Swedish flag. And the red, no anger in the music, most blues and soul, and a energic rock n roll, I like the heavy rock from 1979's so it will be a bit of that as well, if we just could get this completed.

Cheers
Kaj
orksnork

Post by orksnork »

is this still keeping under your original budget of 4k?
Kaj

Yes and No

Post by Kaj »

8) Orksnork,
Yes < 4k, if I dont include what has been on the owners budget, and how much that is I might never know but I assume >4k in materials. Our own budget still within margin as we do not count our own labour cost and we have not needed any contractors or craftsmen so far on this project, that would break the budget in a few days, I estimate that we have put in some 3-400hrs so far (value 9-12k).
The company has been very kind and supportive in delivering material :o . So we are very :D :D :D

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj

Update end of the year 2006

Post by Kaj »

Happy New Year all,
I have som updates of recent work done.
All walls are painted and the light fixtures (flourocent) removed. Installed new Halogene light total 1200W, and two ventilation fans segregated from light circuit. I kept the camera and used no flash to give a feeling of the spot light effect.

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj

Link to Acoustic thread

Post by Kaj »

I running a thread for placing the suspended ceiling boards in the acoustics section. See link:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 4941#54941

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj

Update 2007 01 02

Post by Kaj »

:D Hi
See updates in link for suspended ceiling;
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 4992#54992

Cheers
Kaj
Kaj
drfrankencopter

Post by drfrankencopter »

Out of curiousity, what are you doing for electrical outlets along your helmoholtz wall....I didn't see any.

Cheers,

Kris