$2500 later and my guitar still hums

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

dbpro

Re: $2500 later and my guitar still hums

Post by dbpro »

Hi,

It's probably not much of a help and a bit off topic, but i wanted to share it because it's a good example of things you cannot solve.

I have been quite a few times in a studio in Cologne, and the funny thing is that it is next to the railway. Every time when a train passes by, we hear a hum (pretty loud one) on every channel that has a microphone or a DI attached.. The cause: the switch of the railway has a huge magnetic field because of the power and magnets used in the switch.
The unfortunate thing is, that there is nothing that can fix this problem..

Anyway, I hope that you found a solution!
DB
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

I recall almost 20 years ago, reading about a studio that had that same problem with electric railroads.
Kevin
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Farady cage? a really BIG one?

- Stuart -
dbpro

Post by dbpro »

Soundman2020 wrote:Farady cage? a really BIG one?
that would be an interesting experiment! tho i don't know if it works because we do need microphones in there, which conducts power.
Speedskater wrote:I recall almost 20 years ago, reading about a studio that had that same problem with electric railroads.
and the strangest thing is that here it is around 35 meters away..
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

that would be an interesting experiment! tho i don't know if it works because we do need microphones in there, which conducts power.
You mean wireless mics? That should be no problem. They should still work inside, or outside the room, but not from in to out, or out to in. A Faraday cage blocks electromagnetic signals going in or out, but those that are already in should be fine within.

Your cell phone wouldn't work inside either (which might be a blessing in disguise! :) ).

- Stuart -