Bose 901 for post-mixing listen

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

jwl

Post by jwl »

Ewww..... Bose.

I used to own a pair of 301s, and I used to sell Bose speakers back in the day. It sucked, because they paid well to sell, but I just hate the Bose speakers.

I always got a kick out of the fact that "Bose" in german means evil, so Bose's beloved Dr. Bose is really Dr. Evil..... LOL

If I saw a pair of Bose speakers on the side of the road, I wouldn't pick them up.... I'd probably try to run them over or something.... LOL

Don't mean to be harsh, I just have bad memories about them. I remember when I replaced my 301s (with homemade speakers usign Dynaudio drivers), it was like, "Oh, THAT'S what speakers are suppoda sound like...."
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i get that a lot... ;-) even so, i find they serve a purpose (even if its a lowly one...)
Glenn
sanjeev

Re: Bose 901 for post-mixing listen

Post by sanjeev »

I too have the Bose 901 :lol: . They are very good under ideal listening condition...They surely require a good well defined right angle corners to enable reflection from the rear speakers. They sound well balanced and clean. But it will not do well inside a control room as they are not designed for that :oops: :idea: . But yes, if you reverse the direction and have the 8 speakers facing you and adjust the room compensation eq, there could be some use. Better would be if you mix on good standard monitors and hear the master on the 901 inside a normal living room.
victory12

Re:

Post by victory12 »

gullfo wrote:yea i think we're talking basically the same thing - i understand the flush mount is extending the "radiating" surface, just that the source to the baffle is external (901) instead of flush (normal monitor). once I get my basement setup I plan to do some testing so I'll haul the cabinet out of the garage (or make something more suited for testing both) and play with it... I'm not going to use the 901's in the control room... might add some subs and tweeter in the live room though.
A friend of mine let me use his 901's for about a year. I thought they were hyped to hell and back. They sounded like PA speakers.

I think they would be terrible for mixing, but your idea of using them for live room playback is a good one. I think they might sound better mounted on a pole, if that's possible.

I think the Bose engineering concepts are all BS. I think they have to sell the customers on their "technology" and "engineering" because the speakers won't sell based on their sound!

All that said, they do make some nice little bookshelf speakers!

----------

[ SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR ]
mileskb

Re: Bose 901 for post-mixing listen

Post by mileskb »

I agree with many who would not use the 901's.. However, I have (and will for my new project) use my Bose 800 series for playback to the tracking room.

I have the crossover and use a sub, and for general listening I find them quite adequate.

For mixing I have several sets I use in the studio. NS-10m's, Event 20/20's, NS-8's and some little Tandy 3.5" cubes. When I'm working on the final mix, I bounce around all of them. When I comfortable and then take a copy to my home stereo and to my cars and of course on a coupe of sets of ear buds and headphones.

If you can manage the time, I believe the more systems you listen to, the better you get at mixing. Eventually all that happens on the other systems is you utter "Yep, that sounds right" and move on.
Miles-Kevin Baron
Sunny Ledge Recording Studio
Mount Vernon, Washington