HVAC - What to use? Is DIY an option?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Ressurrector

Post by Ressurrector »

Well I don't know how you could do it exactly unless you used mirrors (for full coverage) inside the box but you could install an Ultraviolet light in the box thats rated in the UVC range (ionization potential) and that would surely stop mold and bacteria dead in its tracks. Of course those uv bulbs would get very hot no doubt and might mean putting less foam in there so you wouldn't have a fire hazard. :roll:
sharward

Post by sharward »

It shouldn't be too hard making one of the panels removable via screws or latches and sealing everything with a rubber gasket of some kind.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
sharward

Post by sharward »

johnz wrote:draws in Fresh Air
Today's homes are built tighter for energy efficiency, but trap in millions of irritating microscopic particles as a result. Our unit provides a true air filtration system by drawing in fresh air through the intake duct and eliminating stale air through a separate exhaust duct. The fresh air is also drawn through a washable filter to remove impurities and create even cleaner air.
I have just sent e-mail to the manufacturer asking for clarification on this...
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:21:57 -0700 [04:21PM PDT]
    To: Soleus International Customer Service <contact@soleusair.com>
    Subject: Do MAC-10K & MAC-12K Supply ROOM with Fresh Air?

Hello,

I'd like to know if the MAC-10K and MAC-12K units supply the ROOM with fresh air, or if they only supply the UNIT ITSELF with fresh air for proper dehumidifying and condensation removal operation.

There are numerous Web retailers of your product with claims that it "provides a true air filtration system by drawing in fresh air through the intake duct and eliminating stale air through a separate exhaust duct." None of the materials on YOUR site (www.soleusair.com) claim anything like this, and I want to make sure I get the truth from those who know the product best.

Thanks in advance!

Keith Sharward
    Sacramento, California
I'll let y'all know what I find out.

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
sharward

Post by sharward »

I got a reply...
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:06:44 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: Do MAC-10K & MAC-12K Supply ROOM with Fresh Air?

Hi Keith,

How are you today? This is Tommy with Soleus Air Customer Service Rep.

it "provides a true air filtration system by drawing in fresh air through the intake duct and eliminating stale air through a separate exhaust duct."

Tommy / CSR
    Eamiled: 6-20-2006 @ 2:02pm.
Hopefully this is accurate information!

Unfortunately there are no specifications that indicate how much fresh air is cycled into the room... :roll: ...so I would not recommend using this product for ventilation purposes. It probably does a fine job of keeping one cool though. :)

Dan Fitzpatrick

Post by Dan Fitzpatrick »

what a lame response
sharward

Post by sharward »

Yeah, I know... :roll: ...It doesn't exactly instill a high degree of confidence, does it? :?

johnz

Post by johnz »

the freash air intake is definitely their angle though, since so many other two hose units only use the fresh air to cool the conditioner coils.

i bet the would get specifics when pressed, maybe one more email is in order before counting the unit out as an option.
my new guitar lesson website! work in progress!
http://www.goodguitarteacher.com

also check out http://www.johnzemanguitar.com
sharward

Post by sharward »

Actually, the "one hose" units have exhaust lines, so they use room air to cool the coils, and thus depressurize the room in the process. What makes the Soleus (and MovinCool) units unique is that they hvae two hoses that equalize the pressure.

sharward

Post by sharward »

I received a call from Soleus Air Customer Service in Southern California today. (I left voice mail for them a few days ago, right before I sent them the e-mail referenced above.) The representative was quick to answer the question that the unit does supply the room with fresh air. However, the conversation got more interesting when I slowed her down and pressed for details.

I explained that I understood the unit had two hoses, that it is obvious that one sucks and one blows, and that if the hoses are placed outdoors and the unit is placed indoors, that indeed fresh air would enter the room through the hoses. But I then explained that I wanted to follow the path of the fresh air to verify that some of the air actually leaves the machine and enters the room, and doesn't simply get pushed out the other hose after it has cooled and removed condensation from the coils. Once I explained my question in those specific terms, she told me that she was NOT sure and referred me to their Web site, where she encouraged me to send e-mail to the manufacturer, which is in China.

We already know that I did that and we have seen the answer I received -- one that I suspect was rushed and not diligently researched or confirmed.

I decided to reply back to the manufacturer, stating my question in much more detail in the hopes to receive a more credible and authoritative answer:
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:25:18 -0700 [10:25AM PDT]
    To: Soleus vong <xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx>
    Subject: Re: Do MAC-10K & MAC-12K Supply ROOM with Fresh Air?

Thank you for your reply.

However, I want to be certain I have the correct information. In order to do that, I need to make sure you understand my exact question.

Perhaps I will tell you what I believe to be true first: The unit does NOT supply the ROOM with fresh air. The unit ONLY supplies ITSELF with fresh air so that the unit does not overheat and that the condensation (water) is removed from the coils. The reason I believe this is (1) there is a competing product from MovinCool systems (http://www.movincool.com) that does NOT claim to provide the ROOM with fresh air and they have a nice video on their site that demonstrates this (http://www.movincool.com/video/videos/op10_scene.wvx), and (2) there is nothing on YOUR company Web site that makes a claim of fresh air for the room.

The reason this is so important to me is that I know of people who want to use your unit to provide air conditioning comfort AND FRESH AIR FOR SURVIVAL in small, airtight spaces (music studios). An incorrect answer to my question could cause someone to SUFFOCATE TO DEATH.

If in fact the unit DOES provide fresh air to the ROOM (that people can then BREATHE IN), that is GOOD INFORMATION and it should be added to your Web site. Currently it is not there. The only Web sites that CLAIM the unit provides fresh air to the ROOM are people who SELL YOUR PRODUCT. I obviously do not believe THEIR claims as much as I would believe YOURS.

Now that I believe I have expressed my question more clearly and in proper context, I look forward to a reply. It is OK if you do not know the answer immediately and need to do more research -- if that is the case, please let me know that you are investigating for me.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Keith Sharard
    Sacramento, California, USA
I'll keep you posted with the response (if any). :)

Ro

Post by Ro »

tell'm keith!
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sic 'em, Git 'em, Bite 'em, KILL... :wink:

(Seriously, good bulldoggin'... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
sharward

Post by sharward »

sharward

Post by sharward »

OK, here is (I think) the closest to reality we're going to get.

This is the reply I received:
  • Our dual hose units draw fresh air to the room but not in big amounts, it combines mostly the air from the room and some fresh air, go through the filter to be cleaned and then blow them on to the room. Basically most of the air is the room's air and small amount of fresh air. Single hose portable AC's will not draw fresh air to the room. For sound proof music studios, we do not recommend it because it could create a vacuum and it is needed a unit with lower decibels.
Well, there you have it. (Kind of.)

I'm going to assume that "a small amount of fresh air" is insufficient to provide enough ventilation to make up for the lack of operable windows.

So, I revise my earlier statements about the unit providing no fresh air. I will now say the unit provides insufficient fresh air and as such should not be used in air-tight small spaces as an oxygen source.

johnz

Post by johnz »

thanks keith, that pretty much rules it out. i'm too trusting :wink:
my new guitar lesson website! work in progress!
http://www.goodguitarteacher.com

also check out http://www.johnzemanguitar.com
sharward

Post by sharward »

My pleasure, John. :-)

I think we all (myself included) learned a lesson on this one -- always take manufacturers' claims with a big grain of salt, and take retailers' claims with two big grains of salt! :twisted: