Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Ro

Re: Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

Post by Ro »

Very well, PK1, I understand your position on that.
(tho, since you made them yourself... nevermind)

I'll be building my own desk somewhere this year, hope it will turn out as great as yours.
That "soundcraft" logo carved in wood looks really great. I love to see the endresult. Keep us posted ;)
jbassino

Post by jbassino »

Ro you need a console desk? or just a desk?
Search on local classiifieds, you will be amazed of the stuff you find for CHEAP. You could find a big solid, good looking desk for nothing, then pimp it out
If you need a console desk. i havent said anything
Ro

Post by Ro »

I need a desk, but I'm gonna build it myself. Custom made for my room. Thanx for the suggestion, tho!
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

Mr.Walkaway wrote:I didn't see this link This has been around on the intrawebz for a few years now, I keep coming across it whenever I look up new desk plans:

http://mysite.verizon.net/homestudioguy/id18.html
That 80 dollar workstation is a good idea, but it is not a good place in the room.

Shoving anything in the corner is never sought after.

Corners should be treated like how much money a person makes...you just do not go into it, so to speak.
Tiara79

Post by Tiara79 »

Seeing the picture, I think corner is ok. In my opinion, we can save some space if we put the desk or some furniture in the corner of the room. Don't you think that we usually start from the corner? And $80 is not bad as well.
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

Tiara79 wrote:Seeing the picture, I think corner is ok. In my opinion, we can save some space if we put the desk or some furniture in the corner of the room. Don't you think that we usually start from the corner? And $80 is not bad as well.

And you would be as incorrect in your placement of your desk as whoever it was that made that picture.

I am not certain who "we" are in your statement about "starting from corners"....I have no idea what that means really, knowing that a corner is not a starting point. I can tell you this that being "pushed into a corner" is the line that starts right before someone gets tense and "comes out swinging".

It's acoustics 101 Tia. Vibrations move towards the edges of the panels and the edges are in the corners. So this is the primary build up that we as people that monitor a rooms interaction with our sound, make every attempt to alleviate.

Are you familiar with what folks call a "bass trap"? Guess where they go...as a rule?

In the very corners you are suggesting that you have no issue with shoving a desk into.

You just need some more reading, it will become clear after a while WHY this is a bad idea, acoustically speaking.

But you go ahead and shove it in the corner if that is what you want to do...
specialkm

Post by specialkm »

Here's a desk and racks I made for my gear and Pro Control. Takes some woodworking skills and the proper tools, but I only had one woodshop class in junior high school so anyone can learn how to do this from a picture and info available on the net. Racks are very easy as anyone can build a box and attach some rack rails.

mika

Post by mika »

@ specialkm

wow, this desk looks realy nice :yahoo:

very good work :D
KevWind

Post by KevWind »

Here are some pics of the desk and rack I made. They are in the minimalist vain as my studio is a personal singer/songwriter setup.
First the desk with a slide out keyboard tray

then the equipment rack again minimalist type- just frame
I am sorry I do not have any actual plans as I just winged it in building these. If any one is interested I can give you the dimensions and materials.
Enjoy the Journey Kev.
Edwonbass

Post by Edwonbass »

Just made this last weekend. It is all 3/4" MDF and 2x3's.

Sorry I don't have plans to post. I never made any. I just made it up as I went along.
shortyedwards

Post by shortyedwards »

KevWind - awesome job, love the look. If you had plans I'd buy them!

Edwonbass - great skills. Sheesh, made it up as you go along, you people kill me!
Life is a plum pie ... so get your thumb in there!
kyoto7

Post by kyoto7 »

ho ho houw KevWind - Edwonbass great picture dude......... Those will be my inspiration :D :D
Nolan W

Post by Nolan W »

This isn't a plan per se, but it is a little design that I have been working on for a mastering studio desk that also features cutouts to flush-mount the Euphonix MC Control and Mix packs for any ITB mix projects required, flush mount the remote for the SPL MasterBay 2, as well as flush mounting the Apple keyboard for both workstation areas. The station on the right (where the 2nd computer display is located) is large enough to fit a 49-key MIDI keyboard controller (such as the Novation ReMOTE series or M-Audio Axiom series) in order to work on composition or arrangement tasks using ITB soft synths. Eventually, I will have all of the hardware peripherals drawn in (such as AD/DA converters, power supplies, said MIDI keyboard controller, DAW computer or 2, speaker stands for the Barefoot MM27, and mounting arms for the 2 Apple 30" displays). I also plan to flesh out the cable routing as the drawing here would probably not support the actual amount of cabling required for all of this gear.

The desk design and layout was inspired by the desk used at Skyline Tonfabrik mastering studio in Germany.

Also, I can't take credit for drawing the following items: Barefoot MM27, 30" Apple Cinema Displays, Apple Magic Mouse, Apple Keyboard, or Euphonix MC Control and MC Mix. I did draw all of the other gear.

Lastly, I'm not sure why I drew this, as I don't own any of the hardware in the pic, I am not building or updating any mastering studios, and I don't have the funds available or room for such a project. Guess you just get inspired and run with it!

p.s. *if* I ever did get the chance to build this, I would use white for the color, just like in the drawing, and also just like the Skyline Tonfabrik desk. I am not a fan of all of the dark furniture featured in most studios...

I like cheese.
Nolan W

Post by Nolan W »

As an addendum, if anyone wants to use some PMC BB5 XBD-A monitors in your studio designs (you know, it never hurts to dream big), I uploaded some to the 3D warehouse. They are very accurate in terms of scale to within about .1" or so. Both side-by-side and vertical arrangement for stereo. I didn't do center channel though, so no surround set-ups for you crazy kids!

I like cheese.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

thanks! nice work!
Glenn