Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

For Rack Rail, these two companies sell it:

http://www.middleatlantic.com

http://www.lowellmfg.com
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

Here's a preliminary version of a desk I'm planning, the design is heavily influenced by the Argosy range. But tailored to accommodate an old Soundtracs PC MIDI console.
qiktune

Post by qiktune »

If anyone wants to get some REAL cheap DIY racks, you might want to check out IKEA. Couple of weeks ago I picked up 2x "RAST" bedside tables from there for under AU$20 each. They fit a 19" unit PERFECTLY!!

I bought two of them, left the bottom off one and the top off of the other then stacked them on top of each other. Screwed in 2x 12U rails at a sloped angle, some bracing at the rear and in under half an hour it was done.

Now why didn't I stain it before I loaded my gear in there? :(
"it's just a dream he keeps havin'......an' it doesn't seem to mean anything"
Ro

Post by Ro »

aaha, you mean this?:
can't make them cheaper with DIY than that :)
Cool tip QT!
qiktune

Post by qiktune »

That'd be the one! :D
I can't take credit for the idea.....someone else suggested it over at the HR bbs if memory serves. Isn't it great that the same store sells the same item under the same name worldwide - well, it's helpful anyway.
"it's just a dream he keeps havin'......an' it doesn't seem to mean anything"
dahnielson

Post by dahnielson »

And from the wonderful world of worthless knowledge: RAST means "break" in Swedish.
Anders Dahnielson
http://dahnielson.com
xj32

Opinions on this design

Post by xj32 »

Ok so apparently I posted this in the wrong forum before:

Hi again,

Paul from Racine, WI here with another question.

I designed this to scale in sketch up, and would love some feed back before I find a builder (most likely my brother in law who is a cabinet maker by trade.)

I am a big fan of Mission Style furniture and Frank Lloyd Wright and am deigning my control room with that in mind.

A few questions I have are:

Hard wood VS Laminated MDF?

Speakers on top of the 4 space top racks or on seperate stands behind?

Any Do's and Don'ts I am not considering ?

Paul
jshort79

design software

Post by jshort79 »

I keep seeing these fancy computer drawings of workstation desks.I want to design one.What kind of software are you using to make these designs?
Ro

Post by Ro »

read the forumstickies and you'll know.... :cry:
jshort79

Post by jshort79 »

Im sorry,i a new on here.But what are the forum stickies?
Ro

Post by Ro »

Just follow the FIRST posts in the forum(s) and you'll be sketching up in no time :)
jshort79

Post by jshort79 »

yeah i finally came across those yesterday.those programs are awesome,I almost have a desk scetched up already.thanks.
pk1

Re:

Post by pk1 »

PhilR wrote:Here's a preliminary version of a desk I'm planning, the design is heavily influenced by the Argosy range. But tailored to accommodate an old Soundtracs PC MIDI console.
phil, nice design, almost there but not quite, theres a few things you have got wrong there and prehaps you havent noticed them. i have built several of these consoles now, i have a little gift for reverse engineering things you see.

heres a few pics of some of the ones i have built, including a recent one for an old soundcraft desk im using.

first one with 2 rack units

second desk i didnt take any finished pics sorry, this was the test fit for everything.

and this is the one i recently did for my soundcraft desk
test fit
cnc logo in side panel
finished bar coating it, the soundcraft is a little low in the front because i took the plastic feet off the bottom of the mixer, once refitted the desk is flush with the top edge of the side cheeks and arm rest, the arm rest is now padded and has a nice layer of leather over it.

im just building myself a new one to put my yamaha 02r in with two 19" rack bays one either side and front arm rest with desk surface, i will put up a pic or two shortly.
Ro

Re: Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

Post by Ro »

Very nice PK1, got any designplans to share?
There's too little info on that on this forum :)
pk1

Re: Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

Post by pk1 »

i would love to share the plans with you however i cant, as they are similar to a more well known range it would cause legal issues even if i gave them away freely. building these consoles is very easy and with a little patience and study its easy to figure it out.

personally i cannot justify paying almost £3000 for severl pieces of mdf and metalwork when i know i can make the same item for around £100 myself, i know its business etc but its the same with anything if your tv beraks and you can repair it yourself for £50 instead of paying someone £250 for the same repair your going to do it yourself.

take the time and read up you will figure something out, i wish i could be more forthcoming, but i wont place this site or its owners in a compromising position by placing any form of plans here.