What would you do?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Jason Poff

What would you do?

Post by Jason Poff »

I've just moved into a rental home and am planning to use the basement as a studio. I'm hoping you all might take a look at the design below and let me know any ideas you have on acoustic problems and how they might be solved. The grey squares are insets in the room and extend all the way to the ceiling, which is 9 ft tall. The room is finished with drywall and stomped ceiling. Padded carpet is on the floor. The inset near the speakers is 2' 6 1/2" x 8 1/4". The inset at the back of the room is 1' 6 1/2" x 1'5". Since I'm on a a low budget, I'm planning on building some bass and mid-high traps from ethan's website, but I'm totally open to any ideas.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Welcome Jason

perhaps you should start along these lines - search for "splayed walls" in this site and you'll see where I'm coming from.

cheers
john
matucha

Post by matucha »

probably, I'd split the room into 2... control&recording... it is long enough, or it is too long, far from ideal. Have money to split it?
Jason Poff

Post by Jason Poff »

Thanks for the drawing John. I'll be searching the site tomorrow for relevant information. Matucha, I have two rooms off the control room that will be available as tracking space. One is the same size as the control room, and one is a bit smaller. I was under the impression from what I've read so far on this site that a deep control room is better than a shallow one. What do you think?
Sen

Post by Sen »

yeah the deeper the better...the bigger the better...................................
well almost so... :lol: :lol:
Kind regards
Sen
Sen

Post by Sen »

the "almost so" bit was a joke... 8)
Kind regards
Sen
matucha

Post by matucha »

as I understand it is better to have a big room (high volume), but on the other hand there are some room ratios that are "ideal". That means 3m x 50m tunnel like room it isn't so ideal ;-). Ok, since you have your tracking room outside, there is no need to split it. In the end there is enough space for bass trapping in the rear.