Sketchup free

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

mileskb

Re: Sketchup free

Post by mileskb »

Johnny Corvette wrote:I am not sure what it is about S-U but, it appears at first, as with a lot of software, to require a big commitment and learning curve. I would say roll through the video tutorial on the Google S-U site and take your time. Things click pretty fast once you get over the hump and it is really pretty easy to use for basic layouts. I am ready to give up forever on AutoCad.

I messed with it several times and gave up - the tutorials took a little time but it is worth it. I - possibly like others - tend to just jump in to new software and figure I can wing it without instructions. This sometimes works. I think with S-U you need to be taught first.

Good luck.
Additionally I realized that figuring out the software was only a small fraction of the issue. As example I figured out how to create a floor and wall. Mind you I couldn't connect the two, but the form asked all sorts of construction questions of which I know little about and have to be done to code. I know some of that, but I'm not a construction guy not a structural engineer, so that's pretty much where I gave up. I have seen construction software in use (when they built my previous house) and they basically just drew lines and the software built the object based on the local building code that was entered for that area. One could adjust all the elements, but it created it from a known set of rules.

When I built my previous studio I made the mistake of putting the outlets 12" from the floor, they needed to be 16" from the floor. They were also required to be located every 6'. Now I have an older house, outlets are 12" from floor, and only one outlet per room in some cases.

I think if someone has the time to do all the extra research, or they are just using it for layout idea's, it's probably great. I wish I had that luxury. This makes programming my CNC machine look like a piece of cake. I at least got that to cut circles after a week... of course I haven't touched it since... anyone need a CNC machine?? LOL
Miles-Kevin Baron
Sunny Ledge Recording Studio
Mount Vernon, Washington
chrysanthy

Post by chrysanthy »

great i'll have a try.

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

I'm trying to find a 2D or 3D software that I can use for construction, planning and visualizing.
I'm trying Sketchup free, but can't seem to enter exact measurements.. Is it pro only?
Any suggestions for exact planning?

I've used Open Office Draw a little bit, and it's nice for sketching, but not for exact planning.
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

Ok,
seems like I've understood the exact measurement-thing in Sketchup :)

I'll try it more and see if it's good.
Ronnie LeBlanc

Post by Ronnie LeBlanc »

Hi all! I saw a link that John had put up that directed us to a plugin that allowed you to manipulate framed walls but it is no longer active. I am trying to edit a framed wall component but as soon as I move a stud it pops back in place. I'm trying to set the studs at 24" centred and it just won't do it. And even trying to adjust the height won't work. I am fairly new to sketchup but I thought maybe someone had some tricks or an active link to a plugin that would allow me to do all of the above.
My other option is to build the walls from scratch but that's a long process... Thanks in advance!
If they can't hear you, SING LOUDER!
G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

Ronnie LeBlanc wrote:Hi all! I saw a link that John had put up that directed us to a plugin that allowed you to manipulate framed walls but it is no longer active. I am trying to edit a framed wall component but as soon as I move a stud it pops back in place. I'm trying to set the studs at 24" centred and it just won't do it. And even trying to adjust the height won't work. I am fairly new to sketchup but I thought maybe someone had some tricks or an active link to a plugin that would allow me to do all of the above.
My other option is to build the walls from scratch but that's a long process... Thanks in advance!
I'm moving my walls one piece at a time. But, maybe there's a better method..
RJHollins

Post by RJHollins »

There are premade 'components' available at the Google Warehouse that allow you to quickly alter/design walls, flooring, rafters, etc.

They make working SketchUP much easier and faster!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

There is a ruby plugin called Housebuilder

http://forums.sketchucation.com/downloa ... php?id=755

Unzip and copy into your sketchup plugin folder in program files.

Open sketchup and go to View/toolbars/housebuilder.
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hey John, do you have to register somewhere to get access to that? I'm getting the following message when I click on that link:

"You are not authorised to download this attachment."

- Stuart -
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

sorry about that

here it is.
HouseBuilder_metric_1.2.zip
It comes from this forum http://forums.sketchucation.com/ which covers sketchup.

There are a series of plugins for sketchup written by users.
John Sayers Productions

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Thanks John! That one works!

- Stuart -
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

here's a handy one Stuart - it makes sketchup start with a blank tool NOT the line tool it defaults to.
startup.rb
John Sayers Productions

G-Sun

Post by G-Sun »

John Sayers wrote:sorry about that

here it is.
HouseBuilder_metric_1.2.zip
It comes from this forum http://forums.sketchucation.com/ which covers sketchup.

There are a series of plugins for sketchup written by users.
Thanks!
Seems very helpful :)
ethan105

Post by ethan105 »

Hey everyone just new to the forum.

In the process of designing a control room in a loft that Im building for mixing.
I was wondering could anyone tell me the requirements I need to have for my google sketch up files at before I upload them.

Kind regards

Ethan Campbell
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Ethan, and welcome!

There's no real requirements for your SketchUp model: We just ask that you make sure it accurately reflects the space you have, and what you plan to do, in as much detail as possible. The only issue might be if file becomes too big to post directly on the forum: in that case, upload it to a file sharing services, such as Dropbox, and post the link to it.

Common errors we see in SketchUp models are mostly about accuracy, such as not showing the ceiling height correctly, or not including important things like structural support beams and pillars, staircases, doors and windows that cannot be moved, etc. It's very annoying, for example, if a model shows the ceiling height as 9 feet when in reality it is only 7' 6", or doesn't show a steel beam across the center of the room. Sometimes people here spend a lot of time figuring things out and making suggestions based on what the model shows, only to be told afterwards that the model is wrong, so all the work was wasted.

So that's the main "rule" about SketchUp models: make them accurate, and include all the important details.

So please feel free to start your own design thread, posting all the details about your build, and asking whatever questions you need to ask.

- Stuart -