Monitor Upgrade: Adam S3A or Klein+Hummel O-300 D

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

sillybird

Monitor Upgrade: Adam S3A or Klein+Hummel O-300 D

Post by sillybird »

hi all

first i want to thank all guys here for your incredible work, sharing the knowledge and let us see the progress of some incredible studio build processes!

this is my first question here, hope i did read all rules right.

I'd like to upgrade my studio monitors. I'm using Event PS8 active at the moment and like to have something in a higher class, price around 1800 Euros (per piece).

I found two in this range: Adam S3A and Klein+Hummel O-300 D

http://www.musik-service.de/adam-s3a-pr ... 180de.aspx
http://www.musik-service.de/recording-m ... 635en.aspx

Questions:
- Did anyone have compared these two side-by-side? Results?
- Which would you choose and why?
- Are there other monitors in this price class i should look at?

thanks a lot in advance
greez
roman
Jujuman

Post by Jujuman »

Also look at the PMC stuff.

Jujuman 8)
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

thanks Juhuman

I'll check those out. Is there a special model i should look at?

cheers
roman
Jujuman

Post by Jujuman »

Sillybird;
Check out the PMC IB1S. He is a link to a MIX review.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_pmc_ibs_ ... index.html\

I'm in the process of "cloning" it's bigger brother the MB2. But I'll be using a ribbon tweeter. I can't wait to finish.

These monitors tell NOTHING but the TRUTH. If your mixes are good you will know, but if your mixes suck you will know that also.

Both of these speakers are WICKED!!! Crisp like fresh vegies.......

Jujuman 8)
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

thanx jujuman

aah, a ribbon tweeter... so why not buy an adam? :P

the truth, yes, that's what i'm looking for ;-) but i think i first have to redesign and rebuild my control room :-( it was built 5 years ago, when i had no knowledge of acoustics at all... but as usual, no time, no money :cry:

cheers
roman
Jujuman

Post by Jujuman »

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:56 pm Post subject:
thanx jujuman

aah, a ribbon tweeter... so why not buy an adam?

Well, because I can faithfully reproduce a $15K speaker for about $3K, once I know what drivers are used and crossover points. I know a genius crossover designer that will get me really really close to the original. I think that the effort is worth it.

Jujuman 8)
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

ah, i see... would be nice to see some pics of the modification!

just had a look at the pricelist of a distributor in germany for PMC. The PMC IB1S-A is 9000Eur!! this is definitely not in my price range :-(

cheers
roman
Jujuman

Post by Jujuman »

Sillybird I must apologize....... I did not know that they cost that much over there. I have seen them for $6000USD NEW. That is exactly why I "clone" the speakers that I like.

These PMC's are more your speed. They have a similar "voice".

http://www.proaudiokit.co.uk/eShop/Stat ... _AB2S.html

Jujuman
sillybird

Post by sillybird »

thanx anyway ;-)
5am

Post by 5am »

The ADAMs are awesome, I can say that much.

I haven't had a chance to A/B them with the 0300's, but the ADAMs are really great.

They are the kind of monitor you can listen to all day long, even if you have them blasting. They are VERY dependent on the room, and their placement within the room.

You need to have a good room design with good treatment, and then following that you have to really spend some time auditioning them in various placements throughout the room relative to mix position.

Don't expect to drop them in any old room and flick the power switch and think they sound great, it won't happen.

They throw out ALOT of sound. For this reason you really need to have your room under control, with absorption, bass trapping, and maybe some diffusion. The efforts are worth it though, the ADAMs are great.
-Mark
5am Studios, an
Austin Recording Studio
We Support the Austin Music Scene!
AdamZuf

Post by AdamZuf »

My view about Adam speakers:

I have the ANF-10 for about half a year, which are very very similar to the A7. I have A/B'ed with A7 with the S3A for about 2 hours total, and in different days, just to be sure about my views, and these are such:

The ANF-10/A7 are less bassy but more revealing- they add less of themselvs to the mix, while the S3A sounds a bit bigger. So I prefer the lower models. I don't look for impressive sound but the least colored one and most revealing, that differentiates between input program.

All adams have excessive low mid which makes things sound impressive at first.

I also have the Genelec 1029A 5" and custom built Selah Audio Carnelian floorstanders (with the legendary Seas Excel 8" woofer, morel midrange and Fountek ribbon), and the ANF-10, which now goes into the category of a boombox next to these, something to impress clients, if the input program ain't good enough to sound good on the Carnelian.
The EQ'ing and reverb choice with the ANF-10 is less accurate then with the other two. they are usefull as another speaker set.

Never heard the K&H, but from all manufacturers of studio monitors I tested, nothing compares to Genelecs. They changed the way I mix.
I prefer them on top of the S3A anyday, and it's a much cheaper monitor, and very high bass rolloff.
serge instrumental

Post by serge instrumental »

I don't know how sells the Barefoot MM27 in your area or if you can have a listen for them, you should give a try.
roscoenyc

Post by roscoenyc »

S33a's

I've been very happy with them for 3 years.

(on steel stands)
"a part is a mistake played twice"
DanDan

Go ADAM

Post by DanDan »

I carefully tried the PMC IB1, ADAM S3A and the K and H 300. I bought the ADAMs.
Regards, DD
FPR

Post by FPR »

PMC is not what is was, since they're not using ATC drivers. S3A are a very good choice & versatile.