small adjacent room as slot resonator box?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

cadesignr

small adjacent room as slot resonator box?

Post by cadesignr »

Howdy everyone. Can you tell me if slot resonators are the same thing as hemholz resonators? And if they are, can they be used on the face of a closet opening or small adjacent room opening? I am under the impression that the larger the resonator box the lower the absorption frequency. That is if the room, slat and slot dimensions fit the formula. Anyone care to straighten me out on this. OK OK Steve, I admit it, but if you call me a guesser one more time I'll have to .......er........ask another dumb question.
fitZ :P
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Here's more conflushion for ya Fitz - A slot resonator is a slat resonator is a helmholz resonator, but a helmholz resonator may or may NOT be a slat/slot resonator. (A sheet of perf-board could just as easily be used for the face of a helmholz, in which case there's a different formula (sort of))

And, it's not the VOLUME of the closet per se, but the DEPTH -

Otherwise, sure - you could build a diagonally braced frame, put slats on it, hinge it, do a 360 degree seal, and make a closet into a happy helmholz. Just don't store TOO much stuff in it (or ANY ACOUSTIC instruments) or all bets are off. You could, however, leave the clothes in it, can you say "acoustic hangers"?

In fact, if you're putting on that middle-age spread and keep your pants in there, you'd have built-in "bass hangers" - watch it though, Aphex already has the term "Big Bottom" sewn up... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

:D:D:D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, John, I know, no more drinks for the dwarf... :? :? :?
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hehehehehehehe!
Thats great. Maybe I'll learn how to count this year too!
Tell me, how do you say so much with so little, and make it funny to boot?
Thanks Steve.
fitZ
Ps, speaking of Aphex, are those units of any value in the studio? I've got one without the BB but have never used it.
I was going to use it in a PA originally.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Mostly, they're OK if you need to drive a nail and can't find your hammer...

I used to use one of the BBE ones in my PA, but kept it down to maybe 15% effect at MOST, half the time it was bypassed - for recording, if I couldn't get a bright enough sound I'd either change mics or rooms or guitar strings or....

In fact, you wanna buy another one? XLR in/out, +4, etc... :roll: :roll:
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hello Steve, still have the pa? Do you still play in a band? I have to find some old fogeys to play with here :D I don't care what we play as long as I never have to play Creedence Clearwater crap :roll: Do you play all the instruments you mentioned on your recordings? My son and girlfriend is on his way from michigan to live with us. He plays keys, drums, a LITTLE bass, and a LITTLE drums. But never in a band. He's got some woodsheding to do on the 60 chord system first though. He doesn't understand it yet.
At least all the common keys. Eb, C# Ab, shit who plays in those keys besides horn players anyway. I know, you do!
fitZ :D
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

have to find some old fogeys to play with here
last night I got to play again - it's been ages but some friends came around and we sat on the veranah and sang and played till midnight - does great things for the spirit :):)
a friend as lent me their Casio Keyboard :shock: it is great - seems to have all the classic Roland sounds in it.

cheers
john
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hey John, thats great :D :D My best friend and I have had our little get togeathers in the studio, trailers, living rooms, stages, patios, forests, parks, boats, vans(had built in guitar amps) for over 30 years. At least twice a month. Mostly just having a few laughs, a few tunes, a few....er lot of beers. Most of them with a cassette recording.
But now that I've moved to Oregon, I'm going to miss that. When I went back to Sacramento to get my things to move, I visited him in his trailer. He played a tape in the background as we talked. I asked him to turn it up so I could hear it better. It sounded great. I listened for a minute and asked him who it was, cause I really liked what I was hearing. He said "what'samatter Rick, don't you recognize your own playing? Naw, really, your lyin :D Don't give me that.....wait , that's you Glenn......that's really you and me!!! He said, yea, twenty years ago. :shock:
Keep it up John, like you said it is spiritual. Keeps me alive in a way. I have to do it once in a while. Like sex :P
fitZ
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hey Fitz - yeah, I miss the jams sometimes too - what I DON't miss, are guys who think I can pay for the PA and lights, buy a van, pay for the gas, make all the cables, provide everything but (maybe) their axe and a 6-pack, do 90% of the work, and get the same cut as the guys who show up with their axe in one hand and ask where they should plug in the frayed, static-y cord that's hangin' out their back pocket - That, and smoke-filled bars full of stupid-ass drunks that think Wipeout and Cocaine are the coolest songs ever "written"...

BTW, still got part of the PA, couple of Yamaha amps, pair of Peavey SP-1's, pair of 15" floor wedges, 6 vocal monitors, graphic, BBE, Symetrix squisher/expander - sold the lights/controller to ex drummer, sold the live board, one amp, one EQ and the Peavey SP-2's to a church - Still got a small 8 channel live board, but it needs re-capped (sat too long)

I've been spending so much time on everything BUT music, I'm not sure what I can play anymore - probably most things now I'd play are in the key of "H" - at least, it SOUNDS like "H"... Steve