Monitor Placement...?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

s3

Monitor Placement...?

Post by s3 »

Hi all,

I am going brain dead with the math...

My set up is looking into the corner of my room. My head (center of) is approximately 80" directly out from the corner. To place my monitors so that they are angled at 60 degrees, how far out from the corner, along the wall do I mount them? Speakers ar 10" wide. Mounting at 60 degrees makes this an isosolyze (spelling?) triangle correct? All sides are equal length? If you don't feel like doing my math homework for me, some assistance in how to go about calculating this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, somewhere in this forum was a description of monitor angles as well as how far the monitors "look" past the head in the mix position (about 16"?). Anybody have that link? I did a search and spent about an hour going thru post without any luck.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

Cheers,
S3
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

How deep are your monitors?
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
s3

Post by s3 »

Oops! Sorry! Monitors are Mackie HR824s with the power amps on the back, 12" deep.

Thanks,

S3
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

I just did it graphically and came up with this.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

On your triangle question - the correct spelling is isosceles, but that's not the type triangle you want (usually) - an isosceles triangle has TWO equal sides and angles, where an Equilateral triangle has ALL THREE sides/angles equal.

Head position, as long as it's centered, doesn't seem to be really critical from my experience - if you put the point of the equilateral triangle that's NOT one of the speakers, maybe 3-4 inches behind your head, it should be fine.

If you have clients/etc on a couch behind (probably bigger room than yours) you could aim the speakers a little "wider" (not too much) so they get a better image. Too much though, and your own sweet spot gets pretty small... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
s3

Post by s3 »

Thanks! Duh!

Cheers,
S3