Soffit Mounting, Did i do something wrong????

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

I've decided to wait to do anything about it until i get my SC2 from Barefoot. http://www.barefootsound.com/sc2.htm
So for now im using them freestanding.
genericperson

Post by genericperson »

the genelec site has a soffit mounting studio tips area. they insist that soffits be done perfectly. sticking out even a little could be trouble.

also, here's a big one: your concrete ceiilng is a big deal. you could very likely be getting significant bounce from the ceiling back at you. this would result in comb-filter distortion. a common symptom of this is the smearing of the mids like you are talking about.

RPG makes some wicked looking diffusors called Skylines. without being a genius on this stuff, i would recommend seriously looking into getting 8 2'x2' panels of these and putting them overhead to form a 4'x8' diffusion area. they are lightweight. you can also look into auralex t-fusors. a setup like this will scatter the crap out of these bounce waves, thereby just making them part of the room ambience rather than slapping it all right at your head out of phase with the direct signal.

bob clearmountains studio has a wooden primitive root diffusor set up over the top of his head area at his studio. and he's no dummy!
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

im gonna make "clouds" of OC703 hangin' over mix position so hopefully that will cure the ceiling problem,
thanks
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Defitely do that Glen. I had an issue around 100hz in my CR till I put up the ceiling (angled) Afterwards no phasing issues.

Bryan Giles
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

modified the soffit construction today with a lower section baffle and the special angling for the Adam's Thomas suggested, and a new speaker section baffle out of 19mm MDF. I could most definitly hear a big improvement, much cleaner sound. Still a little woofy though with the 150hz shelf filter set to -3db, hopefully the SC2 from thomas will fix that.
ill try to post some pics tomorrow...

next redoing the Slot resonators. :shock:

thanks for all your help
/mike
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

here's some pics of the soffit mount,

cheers!
/mike
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Looks great Mike! :D

Your SC2 should be ready in about 2 or 3 weeks!

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Hey Mike,

Any more progress on the studio? Keep us updated with more pics!

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
Riad

Post by Riad »

I just tested my V8s soffit mountings... OMG they sound incredible.

Here are some pics...
http://www.pbase.com/riadanza/soffit

http://www.pbase.com/riadanza/studio

Some explaination of the pics in the soffit gallery. I decided to build a speaker stand inside the soffit. The 4x4's were glued to the concrete floor using Bostik wood floor glue. This glue is amazing, you can push your finger nail into it so it's plyable, however, it would take the concrete up if you tried to rip it out... no joke.

On top of the speaker shelf is high density rubber mat.

The soffit pictures don't show the AFB insulation that was packed inside.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the maple soffits for a bass trap and covered the inside with cloth so you can't see the insulation.

Really incredible clarity that I never heard from these V8s... I know this is a slightly different design then you guys have suggested but it works beautifully... thanks guys!!

Rob
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Great looking room bud. Glad you like the soffits. :)

I am in total love with my 824's in soffits. :)

Bryan Giles

Everyday I mix they sound better n better
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

barefoot wrote:Hey Mike,

Any more progress on the studio? Keep us updated with more pics!

Thomas

Yes! The studio is basically finished, just some minor cosmetic details i havent had the time fixing yet. Ill try to take some pics tonight!!

/mike
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

So here's some pics... sorry for them being so dark, my digital camera dont like the lighting in the studio.
please notice the serial nr 001 SC2 from barefoot below.. :D

cheers mike
Last edited by -=glEnn=- on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Wow, that looks great Mike! :D I really like the contrast between the dark front wall and the soffits. What kind of veneer is that? Ash?

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

barefoot wrote:Wow, that looks great Mike! :D I really like the contrast between the dark front wall and the soffits. What kind of veneer is that? Ash?

Thomas
thanks...
Dont know what kind of wood it is, sorry.
got it dirt cheap though. :)

I'm really happy with the room, it sounds an looks great.
Thanks you guys for all of your help making it happen, especially Thomas, John and Steve.!!!

cheers
/mike
Last edited by -=glEnn=- on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=glEnn=-

Post by -=glEnn=- »

http://www.massgrav.com/Massgrav_june2004_XVid.avi

if any1 is interrested here's a videoclip from the studio, mostly footage of a band recording but it shows how the rooms look at the moment. The band is pretty extreme punk:D

cheers
/mike