Raising Inside Out Walls

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

AndrewMc

Raising Inside Out Walls

Post by AndrewMc »

With inside out walls - they have to be built on the floor & then raised into place. Question - how is it possible to raise the wall? When a wall is raised the high point will be a few inches higher than it would be once the wall is up / plumb & flush with the ceiling?

The only way around this I can think of is to make the wall 1-2 inches shorter - but then you have a compromised wall - you can put rubber etc and caulk the hell out of it - but it's never going to be like the double sheetrock part of the wall - this surely would ruin the wall's effectiveness?
Andrew McMaster
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

You're right. The time I built a room this way we put on a ceiling as well, but we noticed the same problem. The important thing is to seal it properly as you've suggested.

John put together the attached sketch at the time for me which you may find helpful.

Alex
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

In my room the wall will go up against drywall on the ceiling which is on RC.

John - any ideas on how to make the inside-out wall work? When raising the wall it will be physically impossible to raise a wall to plumb without destroying the ceiling in the process because the leading edge of the top of the wall must pass an inch or so higher than it would be than when the wall is finally level
Andrew McMaster
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Bump -

John, any words of wisdom here? These walls are your babies, and I'm at as much a loss here as Andrew... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
khallgren

Post by khallgren »

Can't you just build the walls first, raise (and brace) them then build the the ceiling on top of them?

Maybe I'm missing something...

Kraig
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

No, the ceiling has to go up first so the whole area can be done in one go. The ceiling is 2 layers of sheetrock on RC1. The inside walls then but up against the ceiling.

It seems like the solution is to add a soft layer at the top of the wall and then caulk the hell out of it - this will squash down to allow the wall to reach plumb - This would have to be about an inch thick though & I'm not sure if this would significantly compromise the wall noise proofing.

With regular walls you don't have this issue because you can build them in place & then add the sheetrock.

I'm doing the inside-out walls but am wondering how this problem has been addressed in other situations where the wall design has been used
Andrew McMaster
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Andrew - you must have a rubberseal top and bottom which compresses as you raise the wall.

check out Luis's studio here
http://johnlsayers.com/Studio/Mainpage/ ... ctions.htm

cheers
john