Truth monitors/soffit mounting

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

dbluefield

Truth monitors/soffit mounting

Post by dbluefield »

Anybody heard the Truths?

http://truthaudio.com/index.html

Is there a decent monitor out there for soffit mounting? Something for mixing on, not impressing clients; a mini-main located in the near field?

Best,

Dave
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Hah! My soon-to-be-released monitors are named the MiniMain ™ ! :D

I haven't heard the Truths, but they appear to use rather nice woofers and tweeters - similar to those in my MiniMain ™ . The thing I don't trust about Truth is that they don't show pictures of any models except the TA-1P. And the pictures they do have posted of the TA-3P and TA-SW are clearly just digital enhancements of the TA-1P picture. This makes me seriously doubt whether they've ever built any of those other models.

There's nothing wrong with being a small company with a single product. But they shouldn't try and trick people - especially when their bluff is so obvious. :roll:

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
frederic

Post by frederic »

I haven't heard the Truths, but they appear to use rather nice woofers and tweeters - similar to those in my MiniMain ™ . The thing I don't trust about Truth is that they don't show pictures of any models except the TA-1P. And the pictures they do have posted of the TA-3P and TA-SW are clearly just digital enhancements of the TA-1P picture. This makes me seriously doubt whether they've ever built any of those other models.
I have heard the TA-1P, and they are VERY sweet monitors. I was highly impressed with how flat they measured out on the test gear, even with the volume varying a little bit. Turn them down too low and their flatness goes away quickly like everything else, but from "medium" to "ow, my ears" they were fairly flat I have to admit.

*I* could use a pair in my studio. I would not bitch.
dbluefield

Post by dbluefield »

"Hah! My soon-to-be-released monitors are named the MiniMain ™ ! "

Well, I'll be looking forward to hear more about your mini-mains barefoot.

I haven't heard the truths, but I am told they sound great, they are however, rear ported --which from reading your posts and talking to others seems to be inappropriate for soffit mounting--which should be a good thing for your company, as no one is focused on the small speaker soffit possibility.

In the near field, I've listened to the Adams and they sound pretty sweet (I had the fortunate opportunity to listening to the original quad version of Dark side of the Moon at Micheal Wagners wireworld studio--Impressive!) But they are kinda pricey.

Darn that John Sayers and his pragmatic experience and sound theory for soffit mounting -- he's got me to the point where I'll just have to build some to see for myself. They can't be any worse than the 2 165lb safe style doors and jams I just finished--ha!

BTW I'm simply using my old alesis M1 passives driven with a hafler P2400, sounds pretty good to my ears, but I know there is better.

Keep us posted on your company and good luck!

Best,

Dave Blauvelt

[/quote]There's nothing wrong with being a small company with a single product. But they shouldn't try and trick people - especially when their bluff is so obvious

p.s. As an audio buying consumer, I didn't take there other pictures as a Bluff, since they said something like "coming soon" or something to that effect. I was really concerned with the sound of what they have already built, and their possibility as a soffit candidate. I’m a little surprised that you didn’t mention them being rear-ported, but decided to mention speakers they have not built yet. I mean this to be taken in the best possible way -- wishing you future awesome success; perhaps it’s sometimes best not to point out little weaknesses of small companies, particularly in your same field of expertise, when in my opinion it does not behoove you to do so. They, like you are just trying to make it happen.

Even though you make a point, you might want to strive for a little subtlety, or say nothing at all about “the other guys” Take it for what it’s worth. No offense meant. Having been a public affairs officer and Navy pilot, as well as being married to a communications director, I know that all great events should be carefully thought out before the dawn, and my wish is for you to start with the best of communication plans and strategy!
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Dave,

Point well taken about my criticism.

Maybe I'm a going a little overboard about what I perceive to be issues of either scientific or business ethics. As I put together my business, I'm very concerned about presenting my products and their capabilities in as truthful a manner as possible. Certainly there's a big difference between "fabricating evidence" and simply illustrating ones capabilities. I guess I was a bit harsh on Truth.:oops:

Thanks,

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
dbluefield

Post by dbluefield »

:D

Looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Best,

Dave
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Thomas, with all the Bullshit that is perpetrated in the interest of prying hard-won dollars from our pockets I really appreciate your candor. If you tend to be a bit rough on advertisers, you'll be right more often than not. I prefer people who are honest and will admit when they (in your case rarely) make a small mistake.

I've already spent 'way too much on "marketing" (otherwise known as lying, cheating, theiving, etc) so please continue to stick to your own methods instead of joining the hyenas. Thank you... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...