a diamond shaped vocal booth?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Teflon

a diamond shaped vocal booth?

Post by Teflon »

First, hi and thanks. I've been visiting for two years and searching has answered many of my questions. So thank you.

In trying to follow the "Don't Even Think About Posting Post" here we go:

I want to build the best voice over studio I can on my budget...and given my wife's restrictions (namely that I can't permanently alter the room since we will probably be moving in about 5 years).

I'm still very much in the research and planning phase. I have two different rooms I can choose from and I'm still trying to work out which will be best for the household. My main goal is to build a good vocal booth for my vo business. I had looked at buying a prebuilt, but they are so expensive, and I've read some very mixed reviews on them so I want to build my own. I have lots of DIY experience and no real time limit so I'm not worried about that. I'm thinking my budget for the construction materials of the booth is around $1000.00 to $1500.00 USD. Of course less is always better, but I can bump it up some if needed.

Now, here's my question: I've seen a series of booths online that are "diamond" shaped so they fit in the corner of a room. Now that seems like a good space saving idea to me, but I can't seem to find any info on whether this is a good idea or a bad one from an acoustic standpoint so I thought I would ask. Would it be feasible to build a free standing diamond shaped booth with the footprint shown in the attached diagram? The rooms have 8 foot ceilings, so the booth's "ceiling" would have to be below (and preferrably) not attached to this. So I was thinking it would end up standing about 7 feet 10 inches tall on the exterior.

I would love any thoughts on this. From what I think I understand it would not be appropriate for singing...but as for voice over work, I just don't know.

p.s. What did I forget? ;)

EDITED (a few hours and 2 beers later): I've drawn it out in my floorplan and see three flaws... as you can see from the second (well, now the first) attachment. There will be no way to achieve any kind of symmetry in the rest of the room (where I will need to do my editing etc), it's quite the small space for a vocal booth and it's really close to the ceiling fan. I really don't want to take that fan down unless there's no other option. The same problems exist in the other possible room I could use.

Still though, if anyone has any thoughts on the concept of a diamond shaped vocal booth I'd love to hear them. Thanks for reading.
henroc305

Re: a diamond shaped vocal booth?

Post by henroc305 »

Hello World, I would like to thank everyone who takes time out of their busy day to help us young bulls (or not so young in my case) find solutions without expecting anything in return. Ive learned so much in the last couple of weeks just browsing through this site. And, I know its been 14 years but i was wondering how come this thread never got answered. I havent made a post in regards to my situation since like I mentioned earlier I am currently gathering information in order to proceed with my own project. Ive read alot on here on why we shouldnt use "EVEN" dimensions on a booth. My question to the professionals, Is a diamond shape booth for Hip Hop vocals something to consider like the design above?