Help with Killatone project

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

xqtion

Help with Killatone project

Post by xqtion »

Hi,

First of all thanks Thomas for the awsome Killatone project.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to DIY and I really want to complete the Killatone project. I'll probably be asking the most obvious basic beginner questions. I have the cabinet made of birch plywood and I'm about to order all my parts. I've tried to study as much as I can for the past week lurking around on the web such as Prodigy-Pro forum. I can say I've learned a lot but still I have so many more questions. So here I go~

1) How do I get started after all my parts get here? How do I put together resistors, capacitors, inductors as indicated on the schematic? Do I need a basic PCB for this? or do I just solder them as the schematic indicates? I see these white boards with caps, resistor, inductors placed on your instruction pix. Is that the PCB? Please help me get started here.

2) What kind of hookup wires to use. Can I use 22 gauge tefron coated wires?

3) For magnetic shielding the Fostex FX120 drivers, can I just use these?
Here is the link,
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=329-212

4) What would be a good power rating for the amp that I would use with the Killatone? Would something like between 30W ~ 100W into 8 ohms work? I have the Qud 606 amp with 140W into 8 ohm, would this work?

Sorry if my questions seem very basic. I really want to start on the Killatone for my first DIY and get into more complicated stuff as years go by. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks !!
John 3:16
xqtion

Help

Post by xqtion »

Can someone please help me? At least tell me what else I need to order besides these.

1) Fostex FX120 5" driver X 2

2) Resistors R1 = 8 ohm 10W non-inductive X 8
R2 = 15 ohm 10W non-inductive X 2

3) Inductor L1 = 1 mH 16 AWG X 2

4) Capacitor C1 = 3 mfd 250 VDC PP X 2

5) Some wires (which one?)

Thanks
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

xqtion, sorry but this is one of Thomas's projects so I may not be of much help -

1) How do I get started after all my parts get here? How do I put together resistors, capacitors, inductors as indicated on the schematic? Do I need a basic PCB for this? or do I just solder them as the schematic indicates? I see these white boards with caps, resistor, inductors placed on your instruction pix. Is that the PCB? Please help me get started here.

I can't really tell what the white board is that Thomas used - I would think you could just use standard perforated circuit board for this since it's such a simple circuit - something like this should work

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/i ... OARD_.html

Your local Radio Shack should have something similar, you just need one big enough to mount all your parts. The resistors will be dissipating a bit of heat, so when you lay out your components to see where they can go, don't crowd the resistors against anything. An air space of 1/4" should be plenty. You will probably want to get some 1/2" or 3'4" long "standoffs", these are just hollow tubes used to keep the circuit board from touching the surface it's mounted on - you'll also need some long, skinny sheet metal screws (about 3/4" longer than your standoffs) to screw through the board, standoff, and into the back panel of your speaker box.

2) What kind of hookup wires to use. Can I use 22 gauge tefron coated wires?

Speakers are more power oriented, so I'd use heavier gauge wire; 16 gauge minimum, maybe even 14 gauge. Get two colors, typically red and black, so you can keep track of which connections are which. Teflon is nice, and might be better if the wires can accidentally contact the surface of a power resistor, but otherwise no special requirements. Always tin your wires first, make tight MECHANICAL joints and THEN solder.

3) For magnetic shielding the Fostex FX120 drivers, can I just use these?
Here is the link,
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=329-212

Those should work, but the drawing Thomas posted on the original killatone thread is cheaper and probably easier to fasten (I'm usually not a big fan of glue for things that will vibrate)

4) What would be a good power rating for the amp that I would use with the Killatone? Would something like between 30W ~ 100W into 8 ohms work? I have the Qud 606 amp with 140W into 8 ohm, would this work?

Answered here

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5468

HTH... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
xqtion

Post by xqtion »

Thank you so much Knightfly that was very helpful!!
Now wish me luck on my first DIY :? :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck Luck

If you need more than that, you'll have to ask :wink:
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
xqtion

Post by xqtion »

LOL~ Thanks I needed that :D
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

I used perfboard to build the circuitry. I also used 14 guage speaker wire for the internal connections.

This is a great project. If you haven't already seen mine, check on the Killatone sticky.
"It don't get no better than this"
xqtion

Post by xqtion »

Thank you Eric.
May I ask roughly what size perfboard you used?
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

I don't remeber the size that I used, probably about 3" x3". Small enough to fit through the speaker hole.
"It don't get no better than this"