Small studio in 3D

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

lodstudios

Re: Small studio in 3D

Post by lodstudios »

Thanks John, I appreciate your answer!

BTW, your designs all look fantastic...thank you for providing a place for us studio nerds to hang out!

Best,
Keith
Keith Orfanides
Light of Day Studios
http://www.lightofdaystudios.com
imiklec

Post by imiklec »

Hy all! First: Great forum, lots of great stuff!
> I didn't want to open a new topic 'cause there are already some of them with the same deal, so...
I'm building a small studio in a basement. And the construction is almost finished, but I have a question about walls in the recording booth/vocal booth.
What about the rear (red) wall?
I was thinking about puting slats (Helmholtz) on the entire wall, but does the back of the wall (space between the house wall and the booth wall) need to be airtight?
Can anyone give me a hint on acoustic treatment in this booth?

Tnx!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Trix. You really should start your own thread, as this is someone else's thread that you are kind of "hijacking" here.

Also, there is an announcement at the top of the forum about what to do to assure getting as many responses as possible. The announcement leads to this post (click here). Actually, several people, who are experts on this forum, will not reply if you don't do what is written in that post. Many others who are very helpful, will not reply out of respect for the moderators' wishes.

Having said that: Yes, your wall needs to be airtight, and the cavity between the inner leaf and outer leaf must be filled with absorption. Yes you can put slot resonators directly on that wall, if you build the wall "inside out": Search the forum for that. Make them broadband.

- Stuart -
imiklec

Post by imiklec »

I'm sory for hijacking, but thanks for the reply.
Will start my own thread, and i'll try to post pics of the works...
ninjasoards

Cost estimate?

Post by ninjasoards »

Hello all,

This is my 1st post and I'd like to say that the info on this forum is invaluable.

Awesome design, by the way John.

Would you (or anyone knowledgeable enough) care to give me a rough estimate of the cost of the materials to build this design?
djgizmo

Post by djgizmo »

Would this particular design be a worthy mixing environment?

Looks great for tracking, but since the sliding door is there wouldn't it affect mixing?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

yes - it works well as a mixing room.
Søren Bendixen

Post by Søren Bendixen »

Thia is my first post so be nice and correct me if I doing anything wrong. :cop:
I´ve been lokking at the small studio ketchup and resized it to (almost) fit the room I have for builing a studio.
My room is at the moment (in cm) 410 (L) 255 (w), 230 (H), but the "w" can be changed to 339 (moving half a wall)

When I resize the smalll studio Ketchup I can see that I need to redesign a little, that´s ok but I can also see that the dimensions gets very small

so my first and main concern is: Is my room just too small a room to build a studio(controlroom + vocalbox) in? - is it at all possible ending up with a studio for professional use :jammin:
or should I concentrate on the a producerstudio with a mobile vocalbox?

Regards
Søren Bendixen
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Søren - your room is too small to have a control room AND a booth - you can just possibly squeeze a control room in there. :)
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hello John. Nice work. Especially the scenes and layers.(btw, I have some plugin links for adding functuality to your toolset if your interested). Anyway...
The speaker front can change for any speaker, providing the depth is OK for the speaker size. It basically extends the speaker baffle to the floor except it adds an absorbent front to allow for reflections off the rear of the gear and puter screens etc.
I have a question regarding your statement. How does this baffle "extend" to the floor, when in reality it doesn't...unless you consider "insulation" a a baffle...which seems contradictory? :?
fitZ :)
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

there is a layer of OSB/MDF behind the insulation that continues the baffle down to 1 ft from the floor. The insulation is to stop reflections off the rear of the console and LCD screens bouncing back at you.
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

there is a layer of OSB/MDF behind the insulation that continues the baffle down to 1 ft from the floor. The insulation is to stop reflections off the rear of the console and LCD screens bouncing back at you.
Oh. But I don't understand something then. How is the actual baffle in the same plane with the OSB/MDF if the OSB/MDF panel is behind the insulation? Just trying to learn from you John :mrgreen: Reason is...heres my soffets. I did something similar. But I havn't installed the 703 in the REAL soffits yet. :mrgreen:

BTW, thanks to you John, I started learning Sketchup about a year ago. Best thing I ever did. Also, I hope you don't think I'm being critical when I ask things like I did above. I only want to learn. Thats why I downloaded the file and started digging into it. :wink:
fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

beacuse you've set the osb further back than I do - I realise it's a not following directly the same plane as the soffit around the speaker, it's a compromise.
Ro

Post by Ro »

Just extend the baffle 2 times the original baffle on EACH SIDE and you'll be save. You can use the remaining space to place the (open) absorber.
Audixium

Post by Audixium »

This design fits my unfinished basement space almost perfectly. The dimensions are practically identical to the space I'd like to use, the intended use meets my goals (track/mix hobby/demo material with vocals, acoustic guitar, occassional electric guitar, and computer drums like BFD), the entry door and window are pretty much in exactly the same spaces as my room, the list goes on.

I do have a couple of questions:

1) Will I have problems with local residential building code (Colorado) related to the wall/ceiling finishing? I'm curious if an inspector in my area would raise any issues...my county adopted the following:

2006 International Building Code
2006 International Residential Code
2006 International Plumbing Code
2006 International Mechanical Code
2006 International Fuel Gas Code
2006 International Energy Conservation Code
2008 National Electrical Code

2) I will need a soffit to conceal a 14"W x 8"H hvac duct. It will need to run parallel to the right control room exterior wall, 17" inches into the room, spanning from the control room entrance door to the corner. Will this pose a huge symmetry related problem? Would I need to build a matching one on the other side of the control room?

3) I don't have the height in the model - concrete slab to joists in my space is 8 feet. Would I still do a similar ceiling?

4) The rear of the control room in my case will back up to a hall and a bathroom. I had planned a double wall there, but don't know how that works with an inside out wall. Thoughts?

I'm putting the final basic items in my basement's sketchup model and will post that fairly soon. But I thought the answers to some of these questions might help me with my first pass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks!