Small studio in 3D

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

alee

Re: Small studio in 3D

Post by alee »

Hi!
I have adopted this design with a few alterations... I don't want to digress on this thread, so maybe you guys can check out my post?
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 86#p103586

Much appreciated... :)

All the best
Alee
muzicalmovement

Post by muzicalmovement »

I would like to thank you all especially you John for guiding me through my thought process. Now I know what I want and how to achieve it. Again I express my sincere thanx to all who participated with there knowledge.
megastarpr

Post by megastarpr »

im wondering something,,,
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Looks like a bass trap to me. It seems like there wasn't enough room next to the doorway to get a trap diagonally across the corner, so John stretched it out to that shape, for the same effect. I think....

- Stuart -
megastarpr

Post by megastarpr »

If those are bass traps... they are better than the foam ones!? like the ones that aerelax and other company sells!?!? or they basically the same!?!?1

an other question,,, the booth have the same space in 1 of its walls...

thoser are basstraps 2!?!?! or thats an other thing!?
zombieweeh

Post by zombieweeh »

Hello!! The desing is great!! My room has 8.04 meters long by 3.21 meters wide, how I can adapt the design measures to my room?
derekdun101

Post by derekdun101 »

Wow! This sketchup by John is exactly sized for my studio loft space i'm in the process of designing. I mean exactly! I'm about to start a new thread for my specific project but just wanted to start it off here by sayin: SWEET!
Music. Yeah....
jaybeez

Post by jaybeez »

My first post, so hopefully my ignorance won't show ! Most of the designs on this site look to be for multiple rooms, for serious recording. I'm looking to build a single room, (nearly) soundproof space of these dimensions so my kids (3 musicians) can work on originals. We have basic recording equipment, and the idea would be in creating decent .mp3s for copyright and "scratch" purposes. I'll be recording drums, keys, guitars and vocals. The components link looks as if the design is for one room, with one end designed as a control room. It seems as if I could use this design to build my space as one large room, then perhaps set up a temporary back wall (with office "cubicle" panels) to turn the end into a better, more faithful space for mixing. Is this a workable idea, or do I truly need 2 "permanent" rooms? Space and funds are limited.
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

"creating decent .mp3s "

WAV is better...you actually reduce the overall frequency range if you change the format to an MP3.
jaybeez

Post by jaybeez »

Thanks. Files will all be .wav first (doing in ProTools), but we send .mp3s to the copyright office as they don't need to be high quality, and we can get more on the CD per submission.
Mira Music

Post by Mira Music »

I too have adapted (roughly) Johns design for my garage. I will build it without the drywall on the outside to create a MAM construction where the wall of the garage is the outer leaf in the system. I don't want to hijack this thread but could someone take a look and see if this is the best way to go?

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 3&start=15

Thanks so much!
Mira Music

Post by Mira Music »

Can someone explain why this wall is staggered and the opposite side is not?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Ummmm... Dunno! Maybe because you made it like that? :)

Where did you get that design from? It isn't on this thread.... If you show me where you got it from, then I'll try to figure out why there is a kink in the wall....

- Stuart -
Mira Music

Post by Mira Music »

Soundman2020 wrote:
Ummmm... Dunno! Maybe because you made it like that? :)

Where did you get that design from? It isn't on this thread.... If you show me where you got it from, then I'll try to figure out why there is a kink in the wall....

- Stuart -
Hey Stuart,

I got this design from the first post in this thread. There are 2 links. The second link is the one I used. it's called components.skp
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The second link is the one I used. it's called components.skp
As John said, those are designs that he did for specific cases. So even though they can be used generically, there are some details on them that correspond specifically to the original places they were intended for: So the dimensions, shapes, angles, positions of doors, walls, ceilings, windows, and "kinks in walls" had to be like that, to fit into the original space. You need to adapt that and change as necessary to fit YOUR space.

- Stuart -