Harwood Flooring OVER Carpet

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Foamer

Harwood Flooring OVER Carpet

Post by Foamer »

Getting rid of my carpet and putting in a hardwood floor is going to be about as easy for me as choosing between an API Legacy and a Neve 8068.

So can I do this? Screw 1/4" plywood planks into the carpet as much around the console as I can, and then put some Wood Tiles (like the kind you get at Home Depot)? Check out the pic. Tell me if this will be useless.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

That would be OK as a VERY temporary fix, but it's not a good idea to put wood over carpet longterm - mites and other little crawly friends seem to love carpet and carpet pad, and once the wood is down permanently you can't get rid of the little buggers - they also help carpet rot when it can't get air... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

also the carpet is the least of your problems.

Try turning around in your room and fire the speakers the other way and compare the difference. ;)

cheers
john
Foamer

Post by Foamer »

Holy crap. I've never thought of turning the other way. John, judging by room, is this how you would set it up (speakers way of pic above)? Can you tell me why?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Can you tell me why?
well at the moment all your absorption is in front of you and the surfaces behind you are reflective. It should be the otherway around.

cheers
john