Flooring Suggestions

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

RichT

Flooring Suggestions

Post by RichT »

Hi guys,

I run a small setup over in the UK, our staple business is rehearsals with maybe a couple of days recording every week (if we're lucky).

Our main recording room also doubles as a rehearsal room and is used at least twice a day by different bands loading and unloading stuff in and out of the studio.

Currently we have carpeted floors but this takes a beating and gets holes in it pretty damn quick.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions on flooring that is hardwearing, acoustically pleasing for recording and hopefully looks pretty good too.

Thanks in advance,

Rich Tamblyn
The Old Blacksmiths Studios, Portsmouth, UK
http://oldblacksmiths.com
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

What's under the carpet?
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
RichT

Post by RichT »

Hi Knightfly,

Currently under the carpet is Tongue and Groove Chipboard flooring on top of floated joists on a concrete floor.

Thanks,
Rich
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

If the tongue and groove chipboard is in good shape, I'd ditch the carpet and look for an industrial grade vinyl flooring you like. Wood is nice, but high traffic (casters, etc) can ruin the looks in short order.

If the chipboard is, well, chipped, you would first need to lay down a new layer so the vinyl has a smooth underlayment. If the floor is truly floated, you would want to be careful NOT to run the new floor up against the walls.

Other than the "sticker shock" I got the other day when talking to someone from London, I'm not sure what's available there but that's what I would look for. I don't know what your walls and ceilings are like, but the vinyl would be brighter sounding than carpet... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
RichT

Post by RichT »

Hi Knightfly,

The chipboard is in reasonably good shape, I'll look into the vinyl flooring - and will be prepared for sticker shock :)

Thanks for your help.

Rich Tamblyn
RichT

Post by RichT »

Hello again,

I've managed to find a local company that can supply Industrial Heavy Duty Vinyl flooring.

Prices quoted (to supply and fit):

2mm Heavy Duty Vinyl £17.00 per square metre
2.5mm Heavy Duty Vinyl £18.50 per square metre

Now because our rooms aren't particulary big this doesn't work out so bad. We could have our live room done for just under £600.

I'm still wondering though, is 2mm thick enough? Is the .5mm worth the extra £1.50?

The company is getting back to me with samples of finishs and textures so I'm hoping that doesn't add to the cost (say for a wood style look).

Cheers,
Rich
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The extra .5 mm is 25% of the base 2mm, and if you went by thickness alone it would be worth more like 22 pounds per square meter - of course, the cost difference is really only for materials, since labor would be the same in each case.

It seems like the extra thickness would be worth it, especially if you're planning on staying in the facility for a few years... Steve
RichT

Post by RichT »

When you put it like that it does make sense to go for the thicker vinyl.

We do plan to stay at our premises for a while and plus I really can't be
bothered to have re-carpet the studio every twelve months.

Apparently this stuff is guaranteed for five years under heavy factory
usage so we should get double out of that at least with a few musicians and their Marshall 4x12s.. :)
RichT

Post by RichT »

Well, the Industrial Vinyl saga continues...

Finding a company that could meet our deadline without a four month waiting list has been difficult. Seems they're all tied up with schools, government contracts, etc. Our setup is peanuts in comparison.

Anyway, we managed to get two companies to come and measure up today. Both of them have given us weird reactions 'why do you want vinyl???'. After explaining about acoustics, they still don't understand, here's hoping they don't think they know better and stitch us up.

The stuff we're having fitted in our two rooms is hardcore to say the least. It comes in 2m widths and has to be welded (!) to join the sheets.

It takes two days for each room. This is longer than normal but takes into account our floor has already had carpet and adhesive on the flooring. Once thats removed a scree has to be put over the chipboard so that the new adhesive to stick the vinyl bonds correctly.

Once done you can walk on the floor straight away.

I've picked 'Oakwood' finish, nice wood effect..hmm classy.

Will keep you posted, and will get some pics up if people are still listening :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"here's hoping they don't think they know better and stitch us up. " -

Get a signed sales order before they start, stating what is to be done - if that's not what you get, don't pay...

"has to be welded (!) to join the sheets." - generally, this isn't as radical as it sounds - when "welding" plastics, it's usually done with a hot air "gun", which melts the two pieces together similar to steel welding - in some cases, a filler rod of matching plastic is used, much the same (only cooler) as acetylene welding of steel.

The Oakwood stuff sounds like it'll look good - we'd love to see pix when it's done... Steve
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Sory to but in - but have you considered cork?? It wears really well and looks good too. You can also DIY ;)

cheers
john
RichT

Post by RichT »

John Sayers wrote:Sory to but in - but have you considered cork?? It wears really well and looks good too. You can also DIY ;)

cheers
john
Hi John,

Do you mean Cork tiles or is possible to get Cork sheets? We've already committed to one room with vinyl but our budget has restricted us from outfitting our second room at the moment. Cork could just be the answer!

(Does anyone else find it amusing that John, an aussie, is suggesting cork? Just me then :D )

Thanks John :)
RichT

Follow-up

Post by RichT »

Hi guys,

I realised after all the help you gave me I never popped back to show the finished results.

So, below we have the live room with it's industrial vinyl floor:

At the moment, with minimal treatment the room is quite lively but it sounds great. Raising the floor off of the concrete properly seems to have really tighted up the bottom end in the room too.

And here is our rehearsal room, done out in cork tiles:

Thanks for your suggestions guys, everything is sounding much better :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Rich, thanks for the pix - place is looking good, John's cork suggestion is definitely a winner.

Once you get some acoustic treatment in there, I think you'll REALLY like it... Steve