RC?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Actually, you want the section of the channel that causes the "lift" to be as flexible as possible, while still being strong enough to support the drywall. That's why the newer stuff (lower in the photo) probably doesn't work as well. Note the long slots in the "riser" portion of the original RC-1 channel - they are 3" slots every 4", so you only have 25% of that 25 gauge "riser" that's connected. The auralex RC-8 is virtually identical to that first design, that's why I would pay the extra for it over some other designs. It's still about 1/3 as expensive as the RSIC clips and hat channel... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

so does that mean what I have is junk?

Bryan

The picture online does no justice to what it actually looks like. The holes are like what you see, in 3 sets of 3 like that, but the sets of 3 are spaced about 1.5" apart and run the entire channel. I'd guess that that piece has a 50% contact

Just a guess
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Kinda depends on what the rest of your walls/doors/windows are, and how critical your isolation needs. Generally speaking, it's rare to find windows and doors that can keep up with decent walls for TL, and as near as I can find out the newer, non-auralex stuff is probably only about 2-4 dB worse (if that) than either the Auralex RC-8 or the original USG RC-1.

If you're not using $5k Overly doors, I'd probably not sweat it - just do everything right and I doubt you'll even notice the difference... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Ok, I won't lose sleep then.

4db will not make me lose my lunch. :)

I have separated wall construction. (Room in a room)

I have in times past been pleased with what I got using just studs, drywall and celotex. The RC is a new thing for me so from a apossible gain of 6 to 7db of isolation, I am satisfied.

My main use is the ceiling in the live room as I descirbed before and the the walls of course.

RC is only used in the live room, not the control room

And if I heard yah and have read correctly, the CR wall on studs and LR wall on RC and studs is proper. (I am talking about the air space between the CR and live room)

Bryan
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

:D :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Here's an update (sorta) - just got this link from Rod over at RO, haven't yet talked to these guys about anything but will - Their picture looks just like the original RC-1, but I think it's their stuff that's "not recommended for ceilings" - no pic of the "good stuff" to tell if the percentage of web perforation is right, anyway here 'tiz -

http://www.dietrichindustries.com/bigdp ... sories.htm

No estlimate of price yet either.

I'll be calling them in the next day or two... Steve