Time to Plan!

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

lunatic

Post by lunatic »

As far as doors with different thickness of glass, I'll see what I can come up with at my local hardware store. The thicker glass doors might be a special order through them. I'll see if they can do it in sliding as well.

So, no angles and still stick with sliding glass eh?

Thank you for your patience!

-Brad
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I'm suggesting you take one set of the doors to a local glass shop and have them replace the 1/4" with 3/8". i.e. keep the doors.

cheers
JOhn
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

::smacking self on forehead::

D'OH!

I get it now. Sorry for my thick headedness ;-)
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

John,

Coming up with final plans so we can submit for permits this week. Any chance I could get your thoughts on how to handle the inner walls of these rooms.

Originally, I was thinking two layers of 5/8" drywall but with the reversed wall construciton I'm wondering if I should treat the internals walls with slats or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brad
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes - that's the idea of the reversed internal walls. You will end up with a cavity the thickness/depth of your studs. (4" I would presume) That allows you to add.

1) Straight insulation for high freq absorption.
2) Slots for low-mid absorption
3) Panel/membranes for Low frequency absorption.

cheers
John
lunatic

Post by lunatic »

That's what I thought. Hey... maybe I am catching on. Maybe...

I had an unfortuante realization today though, I will be building this all on my own. Therefore, I don't know how feasible it will be for me to build a reverse wall.

I'm using steel framing (which is light) but that drywall is going to be heavy and I cannot see one person erecting a 12'x'11'x9' wall with a layer of drywall on one side. Drywall is heavy (at least 5/8" is) and I'm not looking for a hernia at age 29 :shock:

Sure, I can get friends to help on the weekend. However, I've been laid-off from my job so I planned to make this my new full-time job. So, if I wait for the weekends, it'll take forever to get this studio built. That's also assuming I can get those friends to show up :wink:

This is a little discouraging because I like the look and concept of slat walls. Also, if I could tune the room with slats then I'd save wall space rather than hang a bunch of panels on the wall.

Please look at this drawing, I know you saw it once at HR.com:

I was thinking I could go ahead and remove the existing drywall. build my new walls, and then do a double layer of drywall on the inside of the interior wall. It would be the same design as the STC57 wall but with more drywall on the interior.

Speaking of slat walls, you've really designed some nice ones! I especially like the look you did for Left Bank. Absolutely beautiful.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Brad
lunatic

Quick Update

Post by lunatic »

We decided to move the garage door to the right which will allow us to even out that annoying bent wall.

Here is the new plan:

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please provide them.

Thanks!
Brad
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Personally Brad - I think tyou should look at angleing some of the walls like this.

cheers
john
lunatic

Permits, Zoning and the County - OH MY!

Post by lunatic »

Well, in an interesting twist of events I may just be able to claim the entire garage!

We made a few calls to the County today to ask about zoning, permits, etc. Come to find out, if we do this we'll need the wall between the studio and garage to be fire rated for 1 hour. This would mean all the doors and the two panes of glass, or sliding glass doors, would also need to be rated for 1 fire hour as well. I have some calls in, but I'm guessing the cost associated with adding this would be ridiculous and send us completely out of our budget.

But, and I checked, if we take over the whole garage completely there is no need for the fire seperation and the money saved would allow us to build a covered parking area just outside where the garage door is now.

On another note, in order to run this as a legitamate business we'll need to make an appeal to the zoning board. That takes 6 - 7 weeks.

Ugh.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this so that I could 1)keep people up to date with what's going on and 2)to maybe let people know about any pitfalls etc they may encounter when trying to do this.

Thanks,
Brad